Docking in Punta Maya Cozumel - Beaches

beshears

We will be docking in Punta Maya, Cozumel.  I know this is YOUR opinion, but are there any beaches close by, or maybe take a Taxi, where you don't have to pay to use the beach, and have at least a restroom close by, that you enjoyed being on?  Not really worried about food, as we won't be there all day, just a few hours.

Money Bar is about a $12 cab ride (fare covers up to 4 passengers in the cab).  No admission fee, good facilities, good food/drinks/service, lots of lounge chairs and shade.  No real sandy beach - you enter the water via steps and there is good snorkeling with clear water right there.  No water toys, so the place attracts very few families/kids.

If docking at Puerta Maya, you may consider walking toward town to Sunset Beach.  It's a decent beach. 

http://www.sunsetcozumel.com/

The hotel beaches next to the International Pier have AI type packages.  There are several restaurants beyond them that have beach access, but you may have to purchase food or drink.  That is typical of all beach clubs and bars in Cozumel, even though beach access is public. Otherwise, as JohninDC says nearest beach is a taxi ride, Money Bar, man made, small but no admission fee.  They do ask that you purchase food and drink.  There are a number of public access points toward southern beaches, between piers and town and north of town.  However, none have direct access to restrooms or other facilities, you would need to walk to one of the bars or clubs. 

11 hours ago, beshears said:

We will be docking in Punta Maya, Cozumel.  I know this is YOUR opinion, but are there any beaches close by, or maybe take a Taxi, where you don't have to pay to use the beach, and have at least a restroom close by, that you enjoyed being on?  Not really worried about food, as we won't be there all day, just a few hours.

Are you referring to Costa Maya (cruise Port near Mahahual) or Puerta Maya (port at Cozumel)?  

If you’re referring  to Costa Maya, there is a beach bar called Tropicante in the middle of the Malecón in Mahahual that doesn’t charge for chairs but just requires you to eat and drink there.  The fish tacos are great and there are many other menu items offered.  Including drinks and fish tacos my tab was $16 for the afternoon.  
The beach is nice and shallow there and you can drag your chair into the water if you like.  Reserve online on their website. 

12 hours ago, beshears said:

Since this is Cozumel board, assuming you are asking about Puerta Maya (Carnival pier)?

If so, (and I haven’t been to that pier) I thought I had read there was a man-made sandy area right at the pier?

Otherwise as stated above  beaches in Mexico are free to put your towel down but if you require facilities of any sort - loungers, tables, restrooms you are expected to make a purchase proportional to your length of stay.

Crew offers good suggestions in his post. (Sunset bar is a considerable walk from Puerta Maya depending on mobility.)

Good free beaches on the east side (no swimming and again towel on the sand) but that will require you to secure a taxi for 3 hours minimum to stay with you. 

It all depends what you are looking for from your beach day and how much of a “beach” you require, as opposed to a “sandy area”.

Edited by c-leg5

The sandy area at Puerta Maya does offer some chairs as I recall.  Better to bring own beach towel from ship.  There are public restrooms in the shopping area and at Pancho's Back Yard.  Btu not changing or shower facilities.

And I would not swim or even enter the water there. 

7 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Money Bar is about a $12 cab ride (fare covers up to 4 passengers in the cab).  No admission fee, good facilities, good food/drinks/service, lots of lounge chairs and shade.  No real sandy beach - you enter the water via steps and there is good snorkeling with clear water right there.  No water toys, so the place attracts very few families/kids.

There is no admission charge but you are expected to buy something if you are using their chairs and restrooms.  

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

The sandy area at Puerta Maya does offer some chairs as I recall.  Better to bring own beach towel from ship.  There are public restrooms in the shopping area and at Pancho's Back Yard.  Btu not changing or shower facilities.

And I would not swim or even enter the water there. 

Yes there are chairs there at port in the sandy area, but that is a sea wall.  You are not supposed to get in the water there, and if you did it is all rocks, no beach.

DSCF1386-XL.jpg

2017May25_Coz139-XL.jpg

Thank you ALL for your info in regard to us docking at Punta Maya, Cozumel.  This will really help.  As I said, we probably will not be eating there, but I'm sure we would be purchasing something to drink.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, beshears said:

Thank you ALL for your info in regard to us docking at Punta Maya, Cozumel.  This will really help.  As I said, we probably will not be eating there, but I'm sure we would be purchasing something to drink.

It's Puerto Maya.

It is the cruise port.  Lots of shopping. There are places for food and beverages, but you DO NOT need to buy anything to use the loungers there.