Which cruise lines have a bid process to attempt an upgrade?

Firepath

In every case in our direct experience with RCI and Celebrity, and from direct knowledge with NCL, if your itinerary on which you have a confirmed reservation is offering it, you will receive an email post final payment inviting you to participate describing the stateroom categories available and recommended minimum bid amount for each. Only those receiving an invitation to do so can bid.

You can place a bid on as many categories as you wish but if selected, the cruise line will determine which category you will receive and will select the stateroom for you.  Note that the minimum recommended amount is just that and usually serves as the minimum considered, and that awards are made to the highest bidders. Your reservation will be automatically updated and credit card charged appropriately reflecting this.  The award, if made, is final.  If no award is made than your reservation remains unchanged.  Notification typically is made 48 hours prior to sailing.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

5 minutes ago, George C said:

We got a call from celebrity last year for a upgrade from a celebrity suite to royal suite , should have taken it. 

Was this through the bid process described or a direct upgrade offer, such as through their loyalty program - and was there an upcharge associated with it?  (I ask as we too have received loyalty upgrades in the past and have also been able to upgrade via an upsell program - but this bid program is different and has replaced the typical upsell).

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Was this through the bid process described or a direct upgrade offer, such as through their loyalty program?

It was a direct upgrade a couple of days before sailing , it was a really good deal , but I had not cruised in a celebrity suite and wanted to try it. They called me a couple of times about it . Was a 4 day cruise.

8 minutes ago, George C said:

It was a direct upgrade a couple of days before sailing , it was a really good deal , but I had not cruised in a celebrity suite and wanted to try it. They called me a couple of times about it . Was a 4 day cruise.

Thanks for clarifying.  Unfortunately those offers are very far and few between anymore!