What happens when one party can't go?

cheezz

Can the other person still go, occupying the cabin alone? What about the cost (assuming trip insurance was purchased?). I mean, will that one person still be able to sail ONLY if the other person forfeits their payment?

thanks!

If the cruise line has already been paid [past the final payment date], and will not be losing any money - it is likely that they will not wait for a no show passenger [that's their likely view of things, not a cancelation].

I would not expect a refund or credit from the cruise line. Any insurance reimbursement for the non passenger would depend of the insurance policy's fine print. [was that passenger's cancelation a covered reason?]

Edited by TheOldBear
s/view/crew

Typically if it is after final payment they are just a no show and have taxes and port fees reimbursed.

If it is before final payment the fair will have to be re-priced.

I am not sure how insurance works I think both of you have to claim the one still going on cruise because their partner is not going to pay for new fair and the person claims back the money they lost on booking.

But you could just get someone else to travel instead and just pay for a name change.

48 minutes ago, cheezz said:

Can the other person still go, occupying the cabin alone? What about the cost (assuming trip insurance was purchased?). I mean, will that one person still be able to sail ONLY if the other person forfeits their payment?

thanks!

If you had booked the cruise for one in the first place you would have paid double occupancy. So the one person going and the other forfeiting their payment is the same thing. You can cancel and try to make a travel insurance claim but then the cruise line could theoretically hit you with an additional single supplement to pay. The easiest way to go about this would be for both to cancel and make an insurance claim or for the one to not go and the one going to reimburse that person for their half of the fare. 

Edited by sanger727