Uber VS Lyft

dakram

Never used Uber or Lyft. We will be flying into FLL and will need transport to our Miami hotel and then the next day transport from Hotel to Cruise port.   Can you please tell me which one everyone likes better?

12 minutes ago, dakram said:

Never used Uber or Lyft. We will be flying into FLL and will need transport to our Miami hotel and then the next day transport from Hotel to Cruise port.   Can you please tell me which one everyone likes better?

I have  and use both apps. They work similarly. Often the drivers drive for both. I open the apps, compare the cost,  and book the one that is cheaper. If it is a tie I book Lyft. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Midwest Sunseeker said:

In Seattle last July I looked at both on my phone and my dh. His cost was twice the price to the airport as mine.  We had two cars sitting in the pick up area 4 feet from us but the car that picked us up was 10 minutes away.  Even the two nice waiting drivers were confused. 

That was probably because of surge pricing. Another reason to compare as one may have surge pricing while the other does not. Since Uber is more well know I tend to see the higher surge pricing more often on Uber. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dakram said:

As a transplanted Okie, let me try to help. 🤠

As mentioned above, the operations of both apps is similar.  I have both apps and usually the prices are within pennies - I choose the one with the most number of nearby drivers; in a tie I go with Lyft.  You can watch a couple of You Tube videos, download and install the apps, set up your accounts, and be ready to roll.  I have just about given up on cabs - I get better service and cleaner cars at a lower price from Uber/Lyft. Uberx/Lyft form MIa to a downtoan hotel will run about $35+ and another $10 ride will get you to POM the next day.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohninDC said:

As a transplanted Okie, let me try to help. 🤠

As mentioned above, the operations of both apps is similar.  I have both apps and usually the prices are within pennies - I choose the one with the most number of nearby drivers; in a tie I go with Lyft.  You can watch a couple of You Tube videos, download and install the apps, set up your accounts, and be ready to roll.  I have just about given up on cabs - I get better service and cleaner cars at a lower price from Uber/Lyft. Uberx/Lyft form MIa to a downtoan hotel will run about $35+ and another $10 ride will get you to POM the next day.  Have a great cruise!

Thank you,  i will check both.  glad to have you as a transplanted Okie:)    Here in OKC we don't have to use either one of these so I was a little confused. 

•  I have an account with both, every week or so I get a 'discount' email from Lyft.  Can't recall ever getting one from Uber...well...maybe long ago.
  • We have always done uber, but have no preference.  Love the convenience of using the app and not having to dig out cash and struggle with a tip.

They are essentially one in the same.  Drivers all drive for both services.  Pick the cheaper one, but really, just pick one and go with it, as the pricing is close enough to not matter.

As others have said, many drivers work for both Uber and Lyft although not all of them. In my experience, Lyft always seems to be a bit cheaper so I’ll go with them unless the wait for Lyft is longer which sometimes seems to be the case. One thing that I’ve noticed is that Lyft cars seem to be in worse shape than Uber. When I do  Uber, the cars are consistently nicer while when using Lyft, sometimes I get a car that seems to be in worse condition. For example we were picked up at a Philadelphia hotel by a car that had ripped pleather seats with duct tape. Not a deal breaker, but certainly something noticeable. 

33 minutes ago, Tapi said:

As others have said, many drivers work for both Uber and Lyft although not all of them. In my experience, Lyft always seems to be a bit cheaper so I’ll go with them unless the wait for Lyft is longer which sometimes seems to be the case. One thing that I’ve noticed is that Lyft cars seem to be in worse shape than Uber. When I do  Uber, the cars are consistently nicer while when using Lyft, sometimes I get a car that seems to be in worse condition. For example we were picked up at a Philadelphia hotel by a car that had ripped pleather seats with duct tape. Not a deal breaker, but certainly something noticeable. 

While I did end up with a pretty old beat up pickup with Uber a couple weeks ago (best driver, ever, though)....  I would agree that it seems Lyft has lower standards for vehicle quality in general.  I've made exactly this comment.

There is also Bird and Lime...

Edited by BNBR
  • Haha 1