How does a no show work?

kathy884

Boarding the Harmony Sunday.  Six of us originally booked three cabins, now we will still use all three cabins, but one person (my dad 83) will be a no show.  He has been feeling dizzy recently some days prior to getting out of bed and his doctor doesn't want him to take the risk and travel (Have insurance and doctor's note, so may get non-refundable part of fare back).  Have travel insurance, but not with RCCL.  My 24 year old son was going to be rooming with him and is still going, but will just have his own cabin now.  Do we just do our check in as normal and not have him check in?  Do we mention at check in that he won't be joining us?  Or do we call in advance?  Appreciate your thoughts / advice. 

14 minutes ago, kathy884 said:

Boarding the Harmony Sunday.  Six of us originally booked three cabins, now we will still use all three cabins, but one person (my dad 83) will be a no show.  He has been feeling dizzy recently some days prior to getting out of bed and his doctor doesn't want him to take the risk and travel (Have insurance and doctor's note, so may get non-refundable part of fare back).  Have travel insurance, but not with RCCL.  My 24 year old son was going to be rooming with him and is still going, but will just have his own cabin now.  Do we just do our check in as normal and not have him check in?  Do we mention at check in that he won't be joining us?  Or do we call in advance?  Appreciate your thoughts / advice. 

Except for things like tips, drinks, and excursions, it's all non refundable.

I think you need to call the insurance company as he may have to cancel, not just not show up

Edited by cruisinfanatic
  • Like 1

Personally I would call in advance and Mention it at check in just in case 

the message did not get down to the correct people.

I would also contact the insurance company ASAP. 

Edited by goneclear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kathy884 said:

I would change a few names around so that you are the one travelling solo as you will get double points.  No sense in having your son get the double points.

• Like 2

The insurance company is going to require you to cancel in advance. They will want to see a document from the cruise line showing the cancellation with zero refund to prove that you suffered financial loss. You also have to notify the insurance company now, before your trip (Most require notification within 72 hours of learning you must cancel). 

Another consideration that won't apply to you is that if you cancel early enough to get a refund from the cruise line the son would then be charged a single supplement, but the son's insursnce would reimburse him for it.

13 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Another consideration that won't apply to you is that if you cancel early enough to get a refund from the cruise line the son would then be charged a single supplement, but the son's insursnce would reimburse him for it.

This is the biggest issue I see.  

If insurance requires the non-traveler to cancel rather than no-show, Royal can invoke the Single Supplement rule.  

Talk to your travel agent and your insurance company to find out who is covered for what.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

This is the biggest issue I see.  

If insurance requires the non-traveler to cancel rather than no-show, Royal can invoke the Single Supplement rule.  

Talk to your travel agent and your insurance company to find out who is covered for what.

In 100 % penalty this does not happen. The cabin is paid for period!

I don't know where people get this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My niece had a friend no show and they didn't do anything other than refund port charges and the shore excursions and drink package which niece paid for and they gave her OBC back. We tried to get last minute replacement but couldn't. You can do that up to 24 hours in advance.