FTTF - when shud u get it?

Scubadoc

1 hour ago, bahacca said:

What bags are people toting around? We carry on a backpack with wine and paperwork. I think with little kids it may be worth it.

I think most people who do have a bag with them are rolling around a carry-on sized suitcase. I've done it. It's a pain getting it around the Lido buffet when it's crowded. We were cruising with others so we found a table and everyone set their carry-ons there, then one of us sat with them while the others went and got their meals. It would be even worse for those who bring all of their luggage onboard instead of checking bags. I have one large suitcase and a backpack and I'd never do that without FTTF and the ability to put our stuff away first.

12 hours ago, bahacca said:

What bags are people toting around? We carry on a backpack with wine and paperwork. I think with little kids it may be worth it.

I don't like carrying even a backpack, and many are carrying wine & soda, in addition to clothes in their bag. It is a comfortable place to change, no need to worry about my wallet or stuff if I want to get in the water. I also like having access to my bathroom.

13 hours ago, skridge said:

I wouldn't get it.  I have found that I get on about 15 minutes after the FTTF.  15 minutes is not worth $100.00 to me.  I would rather put that money towards my bar tab.  

What if you don't get the option of an early arrival time? I love not worrying about the arrival time and having my cabin ready.  If it were just the 15 minutes saved in checking in I'd agree, but there is more to it.

I don't want to lug 48 sodas + carry ons around until 1:30. We also only use locals for our port days, so I want to get on the first tender and be out in the island doing my excursion while others are still waiting to get off of the ship. Then the last night of the cruise I pay our balance with gift cards so I don't want to stand behind 98723 people at guest services to do this. I am on vacation to enjoy myself, not wait around everywhere. It's worth every penny to us until we turn platinum next year. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 1:56 PM, smokey11 said:

New to Carnival:  Is the FTTF pass worth it?

So we bought it last cruise for the first time. Hindsight it probably wasn’t worth the cost to us. Yes, we was able to get right on the ship but there wasn’t even anyone waiting in the lobby and this was around 11:30ish. Our home port is New Orleans and it seems to be one of the easier ports. Went to put our bags in our room and the main doors was closed and never having fttf we had to wait and see someone to ask if we could go in, we just didn’t know protocol. I had to go to customer service 3 times and once was there a small line so the benefit there wasn’t that great. We didn’t have any tendering ports. 
next cruise I think we will just take our time getting to port, maybe eat lunch in the Quarter so we don’t have to fight mobs of people on lido looking for a place to sit.

On 2/16/2020 at 9:13 PM, Joe817 said:

I can't disagree with you there. You may be able to get on the ship 15 min. after FTTF, BUT you will not be able to go to your cabin and drop your bags, and relax a little, while NOT having FTTF you have to wait to access your cabin at 1:30. If you can get on ship at 11am, you still have 2 1/2 hours to tote your bags around wherever you go. We did that last July when we sailed on the Dream, and it was not fun. To each their own, and, as always YMMV.

I take my backpack to the pool chair that I sit in until I can take it down to the room.  It is not worth $100.00 to me to be able to stop by the room.  In fact I think even if I had immediate access to the room I would still just head straight to my pool chair.  That first hour around the pool while everyone else is stressing about getting into the cabin is one of my favorite times on the cruise.  All that said I realize that all people cruise differently and I respect your point of view.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 10:58 AM, Jamesatgsu said:

What if you don't get the option of an early arrival time? I love not worrying about the arrival time and having my cabin ready.  If it were just the 15 minutes saved in checking in I'd agree, but there is more to it.

Not for me.  I am getting my check in time at midnight the night you are allowed to get your check in time.  Nothing more to it for me.  

1 hour ago, skridge said:

Not for me.  I am getting my check in time at midnight the night you are allowed to get your check in time.  Nothing more to it for me.  

I tried to check-in for my May cruise at midnight, but was having problems doing it. When I finally got checked-in, the earliest available time was for 12:30-1:00, so very thankful I have FTTF (2nd cruise in a row). 

I will say, the 2 times I didn't have FTTF, I got an 11am arrival time.

4 hours ago, Jamesatgsu said:

I tried to check-in for my May cruise at midnight, but was having problems doing it. When I finally got checked-in, the earliest available time was for 12:30-1:00, so very thankful I have FTTF (2nd cruise in a row). 

I will say, the 2 times I didn't have FTTF, I got an 11am arrival time.

I checked in at midnight for our upcoming cruise and the earliest available time was 12:30 - 1:00. I had never seen the earliest time be that late before. This is our first time on the Horizon (first time on a Vista class) and I just thought maybe it was because it takes them a little longer to clear those ships. We do have FTTF and my guess is, we'll be on much sooner.

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

I checked in at midnight for our upcoming cruise and the earliest available time was 12:30 - 1:00. I had never seen the earliest time be that late before. This is our first time on the Horizon (first time on a Vista class) and I just thought maybe it was because it takes them a little longer to clear those ships. We do have FTTF and my guess is, we'll be on much sooner.

Interesting, I wonder if you have FTTF that they don't give you the option for an early appointment. 12:30-1:00 was the same time I had last time, but I checked in much later.  

10 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

Interesting, I wonder if you have FTTF that they don't give you the option for an early appointment.

Interesting theory. I've seen a lot of people who are priority (P/D and FTTF) who say they choose the earliest time available even though they know they aren't arriving until later. I always thought it was odd to allow priority passengers the chance to take up the earliest spots when they can arrive anytime. There are plenty of general boarding people who would like to have those earlier slots and would use them. Maybe this is Carnival's way of opening up some of those early times to general boarding.