Sydney Hotels

On 3/5/2020 at 3:50 PM, Chiliburn said:

We have stayed at the Russell a couple of times.

Its not the Marriott or the Hilton but is a fantastic hotel.

The Russell is the oldest hotel in Australia and has been restored With no expense spared.The staff are very passionate about the old hotel.

As you said the location can’t get better,right in the middle of the tourist area ,100 meters from the cruise terminal train,ferries.

If you like a bit of history you will enjoy your stay with all the antiques blended with a bit of modern.

BUT there’s no air conditioning and some rooms you have to share your bathroom with one other room.

Thanks for your info. We are aware of no A/C and the bathroom situation. We intend to try it out, particularly for its charm and location. I think we can do without the A/C for 3 nights. Hopefully, they'll have fans if needed; if not, we may elect to stay out late somewhere with A/C! LOL! It's all good!!

7 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Thanks for your info. We are aware of no A/C and the bathroom situation. We intend to try it out, particularly for its charm and location. I think we can do without the A/C for 3 nights. Hopefully, they'll have fans if needed; if not, we may elect to stay out late somewhere with A/C! LOL! It's all good!!

7 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

If you have mobility problems you may have some issues as there’s no lifts.But apart from that you will love it.

They do have breakfast but it’s only a continental style.After a cup of coffee in the room we went to a bakery a couple of doors away , got some pastries and a cappuccino each and sat on a bollard or seat on the wharf and watched the ships come in.

A breakfast to remember.

It’s connected to a pub ,the oldest in Australia.Fortunes of war. The food is ok but you may find better. The pub has a band a lot of nights but no noises in the room.

11 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

If you have mobility problems you may have some issues as there’s no lifts.But apart from that you will love it.

They do have breakfast but it’s only a continental style.After a cup of coffee in the room we went to a bakery a couple of doors away , got some pastries and a cappuccino each and sat on a bollard or seat on the wharf and watched the ships come in.

A breakfast to remember.

It’s connected to a pub ,the oldest in Australia.Fortunes of war. The food is ok but you may find better. The pub has a band a lot of nights but no noises in the room.

I don't like a lot of stairs but, for now, am able to do them (slowly). We do partake of libations; I prefer vodka, tequila or rum, and DH prefers bourbon/whiskey or beer, so the pub may definitely be a hangout in the evenings. I will be sure to do breakfast at the bakery!! Thanks again!

P.S. If you're close by on February 7, 8 or 9, 2021, stop in for a chat with us!!

Edited by SilkySal
add

Thinking of doing some R&R in Sydney in a couple of weeks.   Anyone stayed at Sir Stamford Hotel, Circular Quay end of McQuarie St?    Any real time comments, size of rooms, comfort, food etc ?   Looking at their website, book direct you get buffet brekkie for $1.

Edited by NSWP

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

Thinking of doing some R&R in Sydney in a couple of weeks.   Anyone stayed at Sir Stamford Hotel, Circular Quay end of McQuarie St?    Any real time comments, size of rooms, comfort, food etc ?   Looking at their website, book direct you get buffet brekkie for $1.

That's a good deal re brekkie!  We stayed there and  enjoyed it - would do so again if the price was right. Its a bit uphill from Circular Quay - could be an issue if you are walking with heavy luggage.  The rooms are huge -even by normal standards - by Sydney standards they are unbelievable!  Very comfortable bed - the outdoor pool was a bit cool and small - but that would be my only niggle.  We didn't eat or drink in the restaraunt/bar though it looked nice-  just didn't have the time 

P1080778.JPG

P1080765.JPG

P1080773_1.JPG

P1080777.JPG

Lissie, thanks for information and photos, might give it a go, won't have much luggage to pull from Circular Quay Railway Station to hotel, just a 3 or 4 night stay in the city, no more cruising for us anymore due to my wife's illness.  We just go for short breaks.

I used to work in the city some years ago, so know the area.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Lissie, thanks for information and photos, might give it a go, won't have much luggage to pull from Circular Quay Railway Station to hotel, just a 3 or 4 night stay in the city, no more cruising for us anymore due to my wife's illness.  We just go for short breaks.

I used to work in the city some years ago, so know the area.

Id certainly book it again for a short break!