Sydney Hotels

Hello!  Any recommendations on hotels in the Sydney Central Business District Area?  I am currently looking at the Radisson Hotel & Suites Sydney.  Is this area fairly safe?  We don't plan on staying out late, but would like a hotel in a safe area.  Thank you!

What you are looking at will be ok. We like to stay at the Great Southern Hotel in George St when in Sydney for a cruise.

It's close to Central Station, Darling Harbour and China town although its budget priced it is rated 4* with clean and comfortable rooms and good Aussie pub grub in the restaurant. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but we like it.

I'll let others comment on more hotel options in Sydney.

Edited by ozziepost
  • Like 1

We like to stay near a railway station, Central, Town Hall or Wynyard, although Martin Place, Museum and St James would also work.

We like any hotel or apartment that is 3 or 4 stars or more for under $150 a night (Sunday-Thursday) or under $200 for Friday or Saturday nights. We use booking.com to find cheap places for location and then look at booking direct with the hotel as they are often cheaper and have specials.

16 hours ago, ozziepost said:

What you are looking at will be ok. We like to stay at the Great Southern Hotel in George St when in Sydney for a cruise.

It's close to Central Station, Darling Harbour and China town although its budget priced it is rated 4* with clean and comfortable rooms and good Aussie pub grub in the restaurant. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but we like it.

I'll let others comment on more hotel options in Sydney.

We always use the Great Southern, have done since before the current owners who changed the name, can't remember what it was. That was back in the days of $80.00 a night, then along came the booking parasites that demand a high percentage and the price jumped to $130.00, and that price was 6 years ago. haven't needed to stay since then.

We just stayed pre-cruise at The Grace Hotel in the CBD and it was excellent! A beautiful, older building (formerly a department store), modern amenities and priced reasonably. We easily walked in one direction to Darling Harbour after we arrived and then the next two days walked to the Circular Quay (for the ferry to Manly Beach) and also to the lovely Botanic Garden. The gorgeous Queen Victoria Building shopping atrium is just a few blocks away. Very friendly staff.

2 hours ago, royal29 said:

We just stayed pre-cruise at The Grace Hotel in the CBD and it was excellent! A beautiful, older building (formerly a department store), modern amenities and priced reasonably. We easily walked in one direction to Darling Harbour after we arrived and then the next two days walked to the Circular Quay (for the ferry to Manly Beach) and also to the lovely Botanic Garden. The gorgeous Queen Victoria Building shopping atrium is just a few blocks away. Very friendly staff.

Thanks, royal29!  I'll take a look at this hotel.

On 2/13/2020 at 1:03 AM, MrPantsOz said:

I recommend the Great Southern, especially now that the tram is running down to Circular Quay. I'm a solo traveller and I've never felt unsafe, even late at night in this area.

Thanks for the recommendation, MrPantsOz!  Russell21 also recommended this hotel.  I'll have to look into this place.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney the night before our Solstice cruise in 2018 - it is literally for closest hotel to the Cruise Passenger terminal  - right in the centre of the Rocks district and in walking distance to good shops / restaurants

8 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney the night before our Solstice cruise in 2018 - it is literally for closest hotel to the Cruise Passenger terminal  - right in the centre of the Rocks district and in walking distance to good shops / restaurants

Thanks for the recommendation, muffinz!  

On 2/11/2020 at 9:27 AM, Russell21 said:

We always use the Great Southern, have done since before the current owners who changed the name, can't remember what it was. That was back in the days of $80.00 a night, then along came the booking parasites that demand a high percentage and the price jumped to $130.00, and that price was 6 years ago. haven't needed to stay since then.

I just booked two nights for $212 total. Cheap enough for me.

On 3/2/2020 at 7:34 AM, irisbax3 said:

Is anyone familiar with the Mantra Hotel on Bond Street? Any information would be appreciated.

I have stayed there previously - what were you wanting to know?

9 hours ago, datone said:

I have stayed there previously - what were you wanting to know?

Hi datone,

Thanks for responding.  We are staying in Sydney for 2 days prior to our cruise.  I was wondering about your overall impression of the hotel, room comfort, general location (near restaurants, walkability or near transportation?). Would you stay there again?  Are there other hotels you would recommend?  Thank you, in advance, for any information you can provide.

Iris

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Come to think of it. I've can't recall any bad experiences with any Sydney hotels in these forums.

Australian accomodation is generally good.

We had a motel near LAX once that had a pool of blood in the carpet and all up the walls.

Someone told me there’s a saying in America. Your room will be ready soon ,we are just waiting for forensics to finish.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, irisbax3 said:

Thanks for responding.  We are staying in Sydney for 2 days prior to our cruise.  I was wondering about your overall impression of the hotel, room comfort, general location (near restaurants, walkability or near transportation?). Would you stay there again?  Are there other hotels you would recommend?  Thank you, in advance, for any information you can provide.

There was just the two of us and we had a studio apartment which was more than roomy enough for us.   Bonus of laundry and kitchen facilities if you need/want them.   Hotel is just a couple of minutes from Wynyard Train Station so easy for you to get around and sightsee further afield. There were also public buses right near the hotel.    At the station you can do downstairs and there is a Coles convenience supermarket so you can get grocery and toiletry items, drinks, snacks, etc.   Also easy walking distance to a number of city shopping malls.   You can also walk down to Circular Quay in about 10 minutes and catch a ferry to Manly or Rivercat to Parramatta etc.   I think it is a great location especially if you plan on catching public transport everywhere.   Hope this helps.

Thanks atone, lyndara, and chiliburn.  Your responses have provided valuable information.  Sounds like the Mantra on Bond is in a good location for the things that we plan to do.  Thanks, again, for taking the time to respond.

4 hours ago, SilkySal said:

We've booked The Russell hotel in Sydney for 3 nights pre-cruise. Pretty pricey but looks like a nice hotel in a great location! Anyone had experience there?

We have stayed at the Russell a couple of times.

Its not the Marriott or the Hilton but is a fantastic hotel.

The Russell is the oldest hotel in Australia and has been restored With no expense spared.The staff are very passionate about the old hotel.

As you said the location can’t get better,right in the middle of the tourist area ,100 meters from the cruise terminal train,ferries.

If you like a bit of history you will enjoy your stay with all the antiques blended with a bit of modern.

BUT there’s no air conditioning and some rooms you have to share your bathroom with one other room.