Tenders in Santorini

bcaha

Unfortunately in Santorini, they are not using the ships tenders so they are much less in control of the process but the good news is there are dedicated tenders for the shore excursions as the buses pick up at a different point.  There will be general tenders for guests running as soon as the local tender people decide.... you will need to get a tender ticket if you are not in a suite -  this is one of the places in the world even Azamara has to do this.  Listen for the announcements/ read the daily the night before, it will tell you where to go and from when to get your ticket.  With any luck you should be off by 0900 hopefully earlier.  If you absolutely have to be earlier, speak to Guest Relations in advance.  They will try and help but its all in the hands of the highly unionised local provider

• Like 1

Ship "arrives" at 8 am. If it's likely that I would be able to be on a tender by 9am then I will not book a ship's tour. But if there is a high probability of being "stuck" on the ship past 9, I would consider a ship excursion. Would love some insight. As far as I can tell 5 ships are arriving around the same time with over 7800 passengers. Thank you for any advice!!!

34 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

We’ve always been on the first. Shore excursions aren’t usually leaving that early.  We have sometimes had to wait 10 mins or so for the funicular to start. Be ready very early. 

In our case, the tenders seemed to go to the port of Athinios first. That was the loading area for the ship’s tours.

Do they also have tenders heading to Skala, the port below Fira, at the same time?

18 minutes ago, nordski said:

In our case, the tenders seemed to go to the port of Athinios first. That was the loading area for the ship’s tours.

Do they also have tenders heading to Skala, the port below Fira, at the same time?

Are you saying the tenders went to Athinios first and then on to Skala? I've never seen this happen in the many times we've been to Santorini. Every time they had ship excursion tenders going to Athinios and separate tenders for everyone else going to Skala.

Edited by Bobal

14 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Are you saying the tenders went to Athinios first and then on to Skala? I've never seen this happen in the many times we've been to Santorini. Every time they had ship excursion tenders going to Athinios and separate tenders for everyone else going to Skala.

Sorry for the poor wording. No, I meant to say that excursion tenders went to Athinios and returned to the ship to reload.

Glad to hear that, at the same time, they had separate tenders to Skala. That provides an opportunity for a different plan the next time we are in Santorini.

Thanks to you and cruisejunky for that information.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, nordski said:

Sorry for the poor wording. No, I meant to say that excursion tenders went to Athinios and returned to the ship to reload.

Glad to hear that, at the same time, they had separate tenders to Skala. That provides an opportunity for a different plan the next time we are in Santorini.

Thanks to you and cruisejunky for that information.

Our last two visits there we've walked the Caldera to Oia so really wanted an early start.  Being ready to pounce on that first Tender has always worked for us.  Just from observation, the tenders heading into Athinios at that time had crew getting ready for set up. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, bcaha said:

ok then... we will just be ready to go early....Are they ever ready to tender before the stated time? (We have experienced that in the Caribbean). thanks everyone 🙂

Never in Santorini