Beverage package

alspal2

It really is a personal choice.  Depends on what you like to drink.  Besides top shelf liquor, and better wines and champagnes, you can get bottled water, sparkling water and specialty coffees.  For some people it is worth it, for others, it would be a waste.

On 2/12/2020 at 11:06 PM, BirdTravels said:

Absolutely not. Don't buy into the NCL marketing. Enjoy your drink package. 

Bird - Do you have a recent copy of what's available on the Sky in terms of what's considered Premium and Premium Plus?

We sail in three weeks, was wondering if anything's changed.

1 hour ago, chars said:

It really is a personal choice.  Depends on what you like to drink.  Besides top shelf liquor, and better wines and champagnes, you can get bottled water, sparkling water and specialty coffees.  For some people it is worth it, for others, it would be a waste.

This is DEFINITELY a personal choice that depends on YOUR "likes".  Everyone must assess if it is worth it for themselves.

On 2/12/2020 at 10:06 PM, BirdTravels said:

Absolutely not. Don't buy into the NCL marketing. Enjoy your drink package. 

While it is clear it's not worth it for "Bird" ( FYI, one of the most informed and helpful posters on CC, IMHO), only you know your habits. 

Would you want to drink 2 glasses of Vueve every day?

If so, that alone would cost $336 on the regular package.  ($20 upcharge per glass + $4 gratuity per glass) x 14 glasses

If you plan on drinking beverages that are over the $15 threshold, or not included at all (water/coffees), you should do a little calculation and determine if it's worth it.

We upgraded last summer on the Escape and it was absolutely worth it for US.  (Based on what we actually consumed, we saved ourselves over $400 easily)

We have already upgraded for our March Joy trip.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide!

I concluded that unless you are big on wine, you are much better off sticking to the cheaper/free package and paying the per drink difference on any specialty drinks you want. As someone who doesn't drink wine and isn't took picky about liquor brands in my cocktails, I am perfectly happy with the regular package. If I were drinking liquor straight and looking for specific top-shelf brands or drank a lot of wine, I might reconsider.

• Like 1

My husband and I drink the upgraded package to it's full potential!!

Glasses of Veuve with Chambord all day long, bottles of wine with dinner, one white, one red, bringing leftovers back to the room for balcony consumption. Cappuccino for breakfast every day and espresso in the afternoon. Bottles of water to take ashore everywhere, and sparkling water with lunch. Digestif after dinner?.... sure, lets have a nice bourbon. Bomba at night time? (hot chocolate and Zacapa) Go for it!

It is what you make it.

It's a question of personal judgment and circumstances.  Do you value top-shelf spirits and expensive wines enough to justify the substantial additional cost?  I don't but perhaps you do.  I'm sure there are things I spend money on that you don't. 

1 hour ago, stefmaia said:

My husband and I drink the upgraded package to it's full potential!!

Glasses of Veuve with Chambord all day long, bottles of wine with dinner, one white, one red, bringing leftovers back to the room for balcony consumption. Cappuccino for breakfast every day and espresso in the afternoon. Bottles of water to take ashore everywhere, and sparkling water with lunch. Digestif after dinner?.... sure, lets have a nice bourbon. Bomba at night time? (hot chocolate and Zacapa) Go for it!

It is what you make it.

I have never heard of bomba, but that sounds fantastic! I like the way you roll. It looks like the upgrade will be completely worth it for us. Thanks!