Advice from those who travel multiple cruise lines, please

Newfun4me

Backstory - I've only ever cruised in an Inside Cabin and an OV on Carnival and the DOS on NCL.  My experience is limited and kind of extreme.  My husband and I took my son and a friend to Alaska on NCL in 2016.  We sailed in the DOS and my son and his friend were in the penthouse (we got these through upgrades, so while they were costly, I didn't book them initially - I had booked the penthouse for me and my husband and a balcony for my son).  We really fell in love with the over the top service, the butler and concierge, the restaurant, etc.  We haven't cruised since then because we had other trips we wanted to take, but we are currently booked for April in a Havana Suite on a Carnival cruise (with some of his friends from high school - all turning 50 around the same time) and have two Haven suites booked on the Encore at the end of May.  For the NCL cruise, we are taking my 10 year old niece (so we have a 2 bedroom suite) and my son and his girlfriend (penthouse).  We live in Texas, so we have to fly to the NCL ports.  We like the spa (so that was another $1000 for the 4 of us old enough to go) and I'm considering the premium beverage package.   🙂 After our Alaska cruise, I thought I would be loyal to NCL because we had such an amazing time.  However, I'm also starting to see what people mean by the "nickel and diming".  I'm going to have to budget an additional decent amount for my niece to do all the "extra" stuff on the ship.  I don't mind spending the money for exceptional service, but I'm really starting to think about other cruise lines.  Royal Caribbean cruises out of Galveston, which means we could drive.  We love the Haven and the extras that come with it.  I'd love to hear your perspectives on how other cruise lines compare and what else we might want to consider.  Thank you so much!!!!

• Like 1

Just a note about the Havana suites on Carnival.  Those are nothing like the Haven on NCL ships.  The only thing similar is you have the private pool area for Havana guest only.  There is no butler, no private restaurant just for Havana guest.  The only private bar is outside on the pool deck.  The inside Havana bar is open to the whole ship.  With that said, we loved the Havana on both the Vista and Horizon and would definitely book again.  Granted, we have never sailed the Haven on NCL so really  have nothing to compare it with.

Haven is probably the nicest way to go (on the mainstream cruise lines).  So anything else may seem liked chopped liver after that.  Havana is nice too, not exactly the same, but has more affordable options (inside Havana cabins, etc).  

We've done mostly Carnival and NCL, 2 Disneys (a few years ago), one Hal (on one of their newest ships), one Royal (Baltic cruise on Serenade).  It seems like Royal is always far more expensive for the timeframe/itineraries we look at.  I'm very biased toward the cruise lines that cater to Americans.  We've never come away upset from any of them.  I advocate for testing the waters with a variety of cruise lines, but if money was no object, maybe we'd stay in the Haven sometime, or try Oceania and others.

3 minutes ago, ksmcdonald said:

Just a note about the Havana suites on Carnival.  Those are nothing like the Haven on NCL ships.  The only thing similar is you have the private pool area for Havana guest only.  There is no butler, no private restaurant just for Havana guest.  The only private bar is outside on the pool deck.  The inside Havana bar is open to the whole ship.  With that said, we loved the Havana on both the Vista and Horizon and would definitely book again.  Granted, we have never sailed the Haven on NCL so really  have nothing to compare it with.

Thanks.  I understand, but I'll say I'm super happy that they have the Havana area.  Sounds weird considering I like cruising, but I get some anxiety around huge crowds.  The Havana area sounds like a great option for me.  I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!  We are on the Vista and I've read some really bad reviews, so very happy to hear your comments.  

I’ve sailed all the major lines in suites at one time or another.  No other cruise line except MSC has what the Haven has, which is basically a ship within a ship where you have your own restaurant, pool, bar etc in an enclosed environment. MSC which gets mixed reviews, has the exact same set up as the Haven, but they also include free drinks, even out of your mini bar. Royal Caribbean has a suite lounge with free drinks and a separate restaurant on their bigger ships as well as a private sun deck, but they are not enclosed in the same area. Celebrity offers suites with their own dining and lounge with free drinks, but again their private sundeck for suites is not in the same area. I’ve never felt that Carnival or Holland America had very good suite benefits compared to the other lines. Just my opinion. 

21 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

I’ve sailed all the major lines in suites at one time or another.  No other cruise line except MSC has what the Haven has, which is basically a ship within a ship where you have your own restaurant, pool, bar etc in an enclosed environment. MSC which gets mixed reviews, has the exact same set up as the Haven, but they also include free drinks, even out of your mini bar. Royal Caribbean has a suite lounge with free drinks and a separate restaurant on their bigger ships as well as a private sun deck, but they are not enclosed in the same area. Celebrity offers suites with their own dining and lounge with free drinks, but again their private sundeck for suites is not in the same area. I’ve never felt that Carnival or Holland America had very good suite benefits compared to the other lines. Just my opinion. 

Thank you.  I'm most inclined to try Royal Caribbean next as they cruise out of Galveston.  What did you think about their suites and the service level?    

12 minutes ago, Newfun4me said:

Thank you.  I'm most inclined to try Royal Caribbean next as they cruise out of Galveston.  What did you think about their suites and the service level?    

The suite perks depend on which ship you choose.  The Oasis class ships have their own suite lounge/restaurant which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner so you never have to go to the buffet or the dining room if you don’t want to. It also comes with free drinks in the evening from around 5-8. They do have their own sun deck area and reserved theater seating, but no butlers. There is a concierge however that can help you with booking excursions, etc. On some of the smaller ships you will get a lounge with a concierge and free drinks in the evening, but no private dining and lounges will share space with upper tiers of the Crown and Anchor loyalty levels. 

I like all the cruise lines. To be honest, they are all more alike than different and I still continue to sail them all, but I think NCL has the best suite perks of the major cruise lines. Nothing compares to the Haven (my husband calls it the Heaven), but if you cruise often, it’s not always affordable. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zqvol said:

If OP is paying as much as she says, it is time to step up to the luxury lines.  Better all around and no nickle and diming.

I've thought about it and looked at them and you're right - some of the costs are in the ballpark.  However, I'm not sure they are our speed (plus they definitely don't cruise out of Texas 😉 ).  I also like the cruises to the Caribbean, Mexico, etc. and it seems like their options with those types of cruises are pretty limited.  They also don't have many choices for 7 days and it's hard for us to get away for longer than that.  Have you cruised on them?  If so, any of them in particular that you like?

My husband and I did two cruises On windstar's star pride out of San Juan in 2018. The ship was small but the service was wonderful.  It was a refreshing change from the bigger mass market ships.  I definitely recommend looking at their itineraries.

We normally sail in an inside storeroom but managed to win an upgrade to the Haven from a mini suite in the Jade in November.  It was a wonderful experience even tho the jade doesn't have a haven restaurant or bar.  We got very spoiled on that voyage.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Petals22 said:

My husband and I did two cruises On windstar's star pride out of San Juan in 2018. The ship was small but the service was wonderful.  It was a refreshing change from the bigger mass market ships.  I definitely recommend looking at their itineraries.

We normally sail in an inside storeroom but managed to win an upgrade to the Haven from a mini suite in the Jade in November.  It was a wonderful experience even tho the jade doesn't have a haven restaurant or bar.  We got very spoiled on that voyage.  

Thank you.  How did the service on the Windstar compare to the Haven?  

There are 150 passengers on the windstar star pride.  Everyone knows your name by the end of the first day. The service level is similar  yet different if that makes sense.  We havent tried the sailing ships, just the yachts. 

There arent a lot of shows, restaurants, activities..

It is more relaxed. They don't have a lot for kids.   I dont believe they have a concierge, you don't really need one.  

It is smaller, more intimate , more personalized. If we werent so close to being platinum on NCL and if windstar left from miami , we would probably cruise more with windstar.

We still love NCL . I hope i made some sense

• Like 1

If cruising with multi generations, the 'ship within a ship' model, such as Norwegian's Haven, and MSC's Yacht Club, offer the finer dining and service that is very nice, and also all the entertainment and activities that only a mega ship can offer.

However, if just a couple are sailing, without the kids and grandkids, I think the experience on a mid-level line such as Oceania or Viking Ocean, or a luxury line such as Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, or Crystal is far superior to those...

• Like 2

My interpretation of your post is you are looking at sailing from Texas as a first choice. Having sailed in the Grand Suite on Carnival twice and now booked in an Ocean Suite on the Panorama, there is no comparison to NCL Haven. NCL Haven is a destination place on the ship and personally I love having everything right there and someone to handle everything if we need. We recently sailed on MSC using our NCL Platinum to upgrade to the then Black now called Diamond status. MSC wins hands down in comparison to the Haven and less expensive. With the inclusion of mini bar goodies in the cabin, included drink package, and WIFI, we waved goodbye to the Haven. MSC does have a Kids club but the downside is you will have to fly to Miami for a 7-day.  If Texas is where you wish to embark then Carnival may be your choice since it is within your driving range. We sailed RCCL years ago so I cannot tell you what the years have brought to the sailing experience. We enjoyed all of the lines for different reasons but in my opinion MSC YC wins hands down as you can get SW air to Fort Lauderdale and Uber to Miami terminal, for less than your Haven total.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Newfun4me said:

I've thought about it and looked at them and you're right - some of the costs are in the ballpark.  However, I'm not sure they are our speed (plus they definitely don't cruise out of Texas 😉 ).  I also like the cruises to the Caribbean, Mexico, etc. and it seems like their options with those types of cruises are pretty limited.  They also don't have many choices for 7 days and it's hard for us to get away for longer than that.  Have you cruised on them?  If so, any of them in particular that you like?

Have been on all four of the "luxury lines". Over 100 nights on Sea Dream and not so many on the others. I prefer Sea Dream because those are the smallest ships but they are not for children. They do a lot of exciting voyages out of San Juan that are seven nights. The others, except for Alaskan cruises don't have so many seven nght voyaged. To me regent, Silversea and Seabourn are all very similar.

• Like 1

Thank you, all.  You've given me a lot to think about and research.  I went ahead and booked the 2 bedroom aqua theater suite on Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas for April of 2022, so we'll check that one out.  It has the genie, so that should be an interesting comparison to NCL.  I am anticipating that our son will join us on that one, so a bigger ship with more to do (for 20-somethings) will be good.  MSC will be next, probably, for what we try as a family.  I definitely see trying one of the luxury lines when it's just the two of us.  I didn't realize they had experts on board that would give lectures on the areas that you are visiting.  That actually sounds like something both my husband and I would enjoy.  I have some concern that it will feel a little bit like we sneaked into the country club, but I guess we'll see.  🙂

Edited by Newfun4me
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

Newfun4me, have a great cruise! With so many options available it is a hard decision to make which is why we shift from line to line based on alone cruises or those shared with children and grandchildren.

Thanks!  Your comparison comments about MSC were incredibly helpful.  I really appreciate the perspective!!!

I'm a cruise line hopper.  I've sailed Royal, Disney, HAL, Princess, Celebrity, MSC. Pullmantur, Norwegian and Carnival.  I agree with the other poster who said they are more alike than they are different.  I like to think of cruises like my children.  They each have their strengths and weaknesses, but I love them all.  🙂 I don't think you will be disappointed with Allure.  I sailed on Oasis, years ago and it still remains my favorite class ship out of my 30 cruises.  IMO, Royal has the best ships.  I choose which line, based on where I want to go, pricing and I give preference to newer ships.  Whichever has the best combination of the three is typically the line we sail next. 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 11:22 AM, zqvol said:

If OP is paying as much as she says, it is time to step up to the luxury lines.  Better all around and no nickle and diming.

I would like to second this!  If you are paying what you say, look into the luxury lines.  Definitely no nickel and dimeing... and this if from a NCL Loylaist.  I've actually been looking at other lines lately.  If I am going to pay Haven prices, I'd like that service not matter where I go on the ship.

• Like 2

OP,  you’ll love Allure and the Aquatheater suite. We stayed in a 1-bedroom ATS and loved it. We’ve sailed in suites on DCL, RCCL, and MSC, and the ATS was our favorite room. The only downside is that you’re not near the lounge and restaurant on deck 17. 

Edited by LisaLisa87
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, LisaLisa87 said:

OP,  you’ll love Allure and the Aquatheater suite. We stayed in a 1-bedroom ATS and loved it. We’ve sailed in suites on DCL, RCCL, and MSC, and the ATS was our favorite room. The only downside is that you’re not near the lounge and restaurant on deck 17. 

Thanks!  It looks like it will be a good option for us.  We chose the spacious 2-bedroom which gives us a little more room.  That balcony is pretty impressive!!!

11 hours ago, Langham1865 said:

I would like to second this!  If you are paying what you say, look into the luxury lines.  Definitely no nickel and dimeing... and this if from a NCL Loylaist.  I've actually been looking at other lines lately.  If I am going to pay Haven prices, I'd like that service not matter where I go on the ship.

Thanks!  Are you leaning toward one in particular?  I was looking at some of them and things like "pressing on the first night", "cultural immersion", and "the thinking person's cruise" scare me a little bit.  We love the service of the Haven, but I also like the no-fuss atmosphere of NCL.

We have cruised on NCL (7), Celebrity(11) and Royal Caribbean(2).

We always pick a balcony, but were upgraded to a suite on Celebity once for a good price.  Still, we never look to book directly in a suite, it just isn't worth it for us.

Celebrity is our favorite, but we compare all three of the others, since we have loyalty benefits on all three.  Also, I usually compare Princess before I make a selection.

We never book based on the ship, but in a tie situation would avoid NCL ships like the Epic or Star.

Celebrity's ship designs are by far our favorite.   We like ships were you can enjoy the views of the ocean a lot.  Also, we like being able to have breakfast and lunch at the sunset bar, aft of the buffet.  Love eating outside and watching the wake of the ship.  Ships like the Star and a couple of ships for Royal don't have that feature, they have the spa aft of the buffet.

NCL and Royal have great entertainment, but Celebrity by far has the best dining. 

At the MDR Royal is second and NCL last.

NCL's specialty restaurants are great, but NCL just jacked up the prices there, so not sure if we will every use them again.

Royal and Celebrity allow you to book, pretty much all the time, with NO PERKS.  We prefer not booking with perks, because the overall price goes  up significantly.  We are moderate drinkers and drink mainly wine, so we look for value as well as a good itinerary.

Celebrity and Royal have better itineraries than NCL.  However, if you want to do Alaska, NCL is great, since it does Glacier Bay and the other two do not.

We did a great Norway cruise that went to the North Cape of Norway.  It was with Royal C.  Celebrity didn't have a cruise to the North Cape, just the southern part of Norway and NCL's North Cape was more expensive than Royal's.

Before you pick a cruise line, do a small spread sheet, examine the cost of the cruise, with and without perks, the length of the cruise, the ports, other costs and pick you best value.

We find that booking early with Celebrity and Royal is best, for lowest rates, most of the time.  Sure, sometimes last minute fares are great, but we don't do the Caribbean and usually do cruises from Asia, Australia, S. America or Europe and have to plan ahead.

• Like 1