Coastal Cruise to the Pitons?

Gatordad815

Hi all! We will be on the Freedom of the Seas southern Caribbean itinerary this fall, and for our St. Lucia stop I have come across the “Coastal Cruise to the Pitons” excursion through Royal Caribbean. We are a family of four and our kids will be 5 and 7 at the time. The cost is $74 per adult and $54 per child for a total of $266.

We haven’t historically taken ship-sponsored excursions, opting instead to go on our own to the local sights and beaches. But given the distance, maybe a ship excursion would be wise?

The excursion has a 4hour duration and is described as follows:

A leisurely and scenic cruise from the Island's North unfolds the island's beauty as you sail past fishing villages dotted along the coast line and mountain ridges before laying eyes on the majestic volcanic peaks, Gros and Petit Piton. These twin peaks are the most photographed landmark on island. Circle the bay and then head Northbound for a swimming stop at one of the bays. After your swim, cruise into one of the most beautiful bays in the Caribbean - Marigot Bay, before heading back to your ship.“

Can anyone comment on their experiences with this excursion? Given the price, duration and ages of our kids, is this one a good choice or are there other recommendations? Thanks for any input!

Have you looked at Spencer's?  I did it 3 years ago and re booked for May this year.

Fast ( not super fast) boat to save time to the Pitons.  I stayed on that beach all day.  Mesmerizing between the two Pitons and you have the use of a 2K a night resort's beach but NOT there immentities.  Still public restroom, changing, snorkeling, lunch and a cool slower, informative ride back on the boat.  

If your 5 and 7 year olds can take a moderate bumpy ride to get to the action you won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

We did the Spenser's tour with the volcano option.  Speed boats to the Pitons and a beach stop between them.  Staff was most supportive of my hubby's mobilty issues, so would imagine they would also be good with young children.  I wouldn't worry at all about getting back to ship on time.  This is their business and they know it's highly important for guests to return to their ship leisurely.  We had a great time.

• Like 1

Thank you for the feedback! We have been looking at the Spencer Ambrose Tour as it gets wonderful reviews! My only concern is our daughter has dietary restrictions (Celiac Disease) and 7 hours is a really long day away from the ship and safe food. I’m sure if we bring snacks for her we can make it work though! The cost is also higher at $330 for all of us, though I bet the time at the beach would justify the difference in price....

Decisions, decisions...

I’d still love any further input on either of these options (or others that I’m not thinking of that would be worth considering.) Thank you!

4 hours ago, Gatordad815 said:

Thank you for the feedback! We have been looking at the Spencer Ambrose Tour as it gets wonderful reviews! My only concern is our daughter has dietary restrictions (Celiac Disease) and 7 hours is a really long day away from the ship and safe food. I’m sure if we bring snacks for her we can make it work though! The cost is also higher at $330 for all of us, though I bet the time at the beach would justify the difference in price....

Decisions, decisions...

I’d still love any further input on either of these options (or others that I’m not thinking of that would be worth considering.) Thank you!

All I  can add is that local food is naturally gluten free. The only things to worry about - in a normal local meal, would be the stir fry noodle, and maybe the mac and cheese... - but best to make sure is to let Spencer know in advance , he'll make accommodation as needed for your family.... as would any tour operator. 

And that goes for any local/independent operator.  They can customize as needed,  much better than any ship tour .. as you can contact local operators in advance, etc.

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 1

Gatordad,

We have done both the Costal Cruise and Spencer's tour.

On the Costal Cruise we did not stop at the beach between the Pitons, we just cruised nearby.

Swimming was at another site. If you and the family enjoy catamaran cruises, this is a good value.

Spencer's tour gave us a fun speed boat ride to the beach between the Pitons. Be aware that there are limited chairs available.

We just tossed down a towel on the beach in front of the $$$ resort and enjoyed the water. We had a good time.

• 1 year later...

We did the identical excursion on NCL when in St Lucia in 2018... although NCL was dumb enough to call it "Between the Pitons." Royal/Celebrity both use the more apt "to the Pitons." 

You won't get super close to them. It's more "see the Pitons from a distance and then go to another beach for a while." The catamaran does not go to Jalousie Beach/Sugar Beach between the Pitons.

If you want to get to Jalousie, Spencer Ambrose (and other third parties) run speedboat tours that drop you off at the beach. 

We did a Spencer tour of the island a few years back, which included a trip to the mud baths and Jalousie beach. It was a great tour... certainly one of the better third party excursions we've ever been on in the Caribbean.