Where will it stop???

K&RCurt

Royal Caribbean just announced it's next class of ships.

The "Genesis" class ships will be 220,000 Tons and carry 5,400 Passengers!

I can't see how anyone would want to be on a ship with that many people. At what point will the ships get so big that they can't fill them because not enough people will be willing to sail with that many other people.

It took my wife 5 days to figure out how to consistantly find our cabin on the Westerdam........I think she would get so lost she would never be found on one of these giants.

Seems to me 'bigger' only means longer lines for boarding, tenders, etc. The 80,000 ton ships are big enough to me. What difference will it make in the final analysis (except for more crowded carribean islands) because the cruise lines are taking a risk building larger and larger ships. The free market will determine the success or failure of these boats.

The free market may well determine the success or faillure of the HUGE vessels -- but it will do it without me. I don't even enjoy land based activities at large resorts. We have always preferred the quiet condo community, the off season resort with a capacity of 35, and the smallest ships that we can afford -- HAL serves that requirement well.

There are many out there, however, who think that bigger is better -- if RCCL can fill these behemoths I suspect the profits will be there -- I also suspect that all the special attractions (rock walls, surfing, ice skating, etc) are NOT free, so this is a very different type of cruising.

Let he who wishes to be intimate with over 5000 on the seas do the real MASS market thing -- and lets us watch to see if 5000+ is indeed "critical mass" -- I will stick to the smaller ships and pray that HAL does not feel compelled to compete in this market -- that they stay satisfied with their niche in the market place.

BTW, how do you get 5000+ folk into the lifeboats in under MANY hours? -- and how early will these ships have to port in order to get everyone who wishes off and on again?

5,400 passengers???? Good grief!!! :eek: If it comes to this being the industrial standard then we'll probably give up cruising as we're starting to feel the "crush" on 1,800 passenger ships. Of course, no way that something this big can get through the Panama Canal and unless the cruise lines build separate Pacific and Atlantic fleets there'll always be a niche for the "smaller" ships. Luckily, particularly with all the new builds out there, it'll be years and years before something like the Genesis class would become the norm.

Of course, no way that something this big can get through the Panama Canal...

Any ship that can't go through the Panama Canal is too damned big!
Which is why there is serious planning "as we speak" to construct a larger canal, roughly parallel to the current path.

I also wonder how they can sustain this size. But, as arzz mentioned, the available attractions on these much larger vessels will appeal to many people, especially those with kids.

As for me? I'm in agreement with all of you. These behemoths are not for me.

Can you imagine the time it will take to clear customs - even if every thing goes as planned.

Also I wonder about the draft of a vessel this large. Like the old Norway, will they always have to tender ?? If not - does that mean it will be top heavy?

I agree that 220,000 tons is too big. Too many people - lines - and frustration. Now lets see if they go with the mini sized rooms to boot. ie 139 sq ft.

The free market may well determine the success or faillure of the HUGE vessels -- but it will do it without me.

This is precicely what I'm talking about. You and I and everyone else here are all part of the free market. I too have no desire to sail on such a monster. I don't want to get on a 3000 passenger ship so there's no way in creation you could make me want to get on a ship twice that size.

There will always be choices and we all have to make the choice that's best for each of us. As such, we can choose not to board such a thing. Isn't freedom great. :) This is nothing to get upset over.

I don't think the ship needs to go through the Panama Canal. The 7 day Caribbean cruises are popular and they can do them all year round.

I wonder what they will add along with the Rock Climbing Wall, Surfing and Ice Rink ? :rolleyes:

I have been on some of the 3000 pax ships and I must admit I really never felt crowded. The lines did move fairly well and you were alwasy able to find a quiet spot somewhere on the ship. At least the times I was aboard.

But adding another 2500 to the mix, plus all the kiddie atractions doesn't sound like my idea of fun. It would be like walking around Disney World all day.

I hate the malls at Christmas time, i certainly wouldn't want to spend my vacation that way.

Promenade Deck?

From the renderings, there doesn't even appear to be any - just 9 60' long lifeboat/tenders hung off each side of the hull.

http://www.akerfinnyards.com/image.cfm?i=175&s=m

Port Calls?

Why bother when there's so much for guests to do (and pay extra for) aboard the ship?

I have the feeling that these are the ships (there's an option for a second one) that RCCL and NCL have been dreaming of that will never be scheduled to physically pull up to a pier other than at Miami. Some pax may be tendered off to select islands during their cruise, but most will be expected to remain aboard for the entire week and thereby spend all their vacation money w/ RCCL instead of on the islands - which is how RCCL makes a business case for ordering such a behemoth. (Which makes sense: no more crankiness about missing a port and demanding compensation!)

There are plenty of non-cruisers who will be glad to fork over $1000/person for a week on one of these. This thing won't compete so much w/ other ships but with land resorts such as Atlantis or Vegas - and compared to them it will seem like a bargain.

Never fear, fellow cruisers - I predict we'll never see such a monster under the HAL logo in our lifetimes...

I'm not going to take the time to look at the RCCL board; but I bet there are people on that board who say: "I can hardly wait!" There's obviously a market for 3,000+ PAX ships, so the cruise lines will try even bigger behemouths until they find a size that people won't book, and that can't get into any ports.

The urge of cruise lines to build bigger and uglier ships will end only when pasengers fail to book the ships.

Maybe they can name it "MS Manhattan" or "MS Tokyo" or "MS Bejing". It will have it's own subway system to pile people into and get around the ship. Lots of crowded restaurants, stores..........oh, wait a minute, isn't that what people living in big cities go on vacation for? To get away from it all?

Or maybe, since it will be too big to get into port. It can become it's own island destination and the smaller ships can visit by docking alongside.

Imagine the possibilities. :rolleyes:

Going on the QM2 this year with a comibination of excitement (the Cunard legacy no doubt) and trepidation (the sheer size). I have to agree with the negative comments towards "bigger is better". Sure there may be more in the way of offerings onboard but there is just too many logistical problems with the number in crowds (try feeding and lining up 4-5 K people) and port stops. Unfortunately these behemoths are becoming the new trend and thus we'll have to pay extra for the exclusiveness of travelling in a smaller vessel with less people. Maybe HAL can fulfill that function but I bet you "Behemoth 1" will cost less.

Brian is right ... there is no promenade. Not down low. I'm sure they've got walking decks up top, though.

I agree, also, about this ship being incapable of pulling into most ports in the Caribbean. MIGHT make one or two, but it would be hard pressed for them to fit any other ships in.

5400 passengers at double occupancy???? If each couple brought an average of 1 child (i.e., full triple occupency) that would mean that there would be 8100 passengers aboard. How many crew???? 2000? Are we talking about a ship that could, conceivably (as in, at Christmas time) have as many as 10,000 people aboard??

This is PURE insanity. I'm sorry ... this is CRAZY.

2.8 times the normal passenger complement of a Vista ship? And that's when both are at double occupancy?

No thank you.

Gizmo, there actually were a few positive remarks on the Royal Carib. board, unluding "I can't wait". Amazing. There were also a few digs about HAL and this HAL board, including "HAL - Holland Assisted Living".

Even on the RCCL board, most responses were negative. One poster submitted a picture of proposed tendering for the new Armageddon of the Seas: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/lcac_lsd-44_990829-N-9593R-002.jpg

Right now when I look at the itinerary when considering a cruise, I check the CruiseCal website to see how many other ships will be in port at the same time. Can you imagine St. Maarten with this monster in port along with a couple of NCL and Carnival ships? It would be the last port I'd want to visit on that same day! We were in St. Maarten one time with six other cruise ships. It was wall to wall people and not at all pleasant. DH's first visit and he swore he'd never bother to go back!

Archived