Can you see shore excursion prices if not yet booked?

AllisonJames

A poster on this board mentioned checking out shore excursion costs when deciding which OLife option to take.  However, I've gone to tje website on two different computers (desktop and Ipad) and I don't see any prices listed.  Are prices listed only when going into your reservation after booking?

10 minutes ago, AllisonJames said:

A poster on this board mentioned checking out shore excursion costs when deciding which OLife option to take.  However, I've gone to tje website on two different computers (desktop and Ipad) and I don't see any prices listed.  Are prices listed only when going into your reservation after booking?

You might be looking too far ahead. Try a cruise closer to today with that port you want to see excursions for (or better even the same itineray but closer to today) and you should see the prices for THAT cruise. The one your are considering prices  might be different once they are published.

For example I see these on my PC running Firefox (sorry, forgot insert a picture inline)

image.png

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, AllisonJames said:

go look at a similar cruise  this year, and check the ports   selecting  port and shore excursion tab next to dining  and they are all displayed by port.     I just checked prices that way for Alaska in 2021 August !

Thanks everyone -- that was exactly it, I was looking at the actual cruise I want to take in March 2021.  When I pulled up the same itinerary in 2020 - voila there were the prices.  This definitely shows me that if we plan to do several Oceania excursions, the OLife shore excursion benefit is the way to go because they are pricey!  And all the comments on the beverage option were also helpful as I didn't realize that package was only beer/wine at lunch and dinner which doesn't really work for when and what we like to drink.  Appreciate everyone's help and I will probably have some more questions...

1 minute ago, AllisonJames said:

Thanks everyone -- that was exactly it, I was looking at the actual cruise I want to take in March 2021.  When I pulled up the same itinerary in 2020 - voila there were the prices.  This definitely shows me that if we plan to do several Oceania excursions, the OLife shore excursion benefit is the way to go because they are pricey!  And all the comments on the beverage option were also helpful as I didn't realize that package was only beer/wine at lunch and dinner which doesn't really work for when and what we like to drink.  Appreciate everyone's help and I will probably have some more questions...

You are welcome but keep in mind that the variety of excursions and prices may vary - although not usually.

Also, any excursion with letters (OE, etc) does not qualify for O Life excursions.

Lastly, they must be booked no later than 14 days prior to cruising and they cannot be cancelled once on-board (although they might be substituted). Also, they count towards your YWC pricing on additional excursions.

I'd compare similar excursions booked independently because O excursions are often very overpriced.

With OLife, you're effectively paying $100 per person for excursions; if the Oceania price is $169, $100 may look like a bargain--unless you can book it on your own for less than $100.

We paid $25 for a snorkeling trip that would have cost $100 from Oceania.

1 hour ago, Andee said:

I'd compare similar excursions booked independently because O excursions are often very overpriced.

With OLife, you're effectively paying $100 per person for excursions; if the Oceania price is $169, $100 may look like a bargain--unless you can book it on your own for less than $100.

We paid $25 for a snorkeling trip that would have cost $100 from Oceania.

Was this just you or were you with a private group?

Private excursions are generally more expensive - what makes them cheaper is if you can share them with others (usually 6 - 8 others).

Sometimes that is easy, at other times not so easy to find enough people to form a group.

I am looking for others to form a group from La Coruna to Santiago de Compostela with Spain Day tours. Their minimum is 10 people - so far we have only 3 and the cruise is in May. And that is with SDT who often add people themselves as well rather than just depending on me and my roll call.

Edited by Paulchili

If you reread my post, you may notice that I never referenced "private" tours, rather independent ones. Big difference.

Our snorkel excursion was for 4 of us traveling together. The TI on the pier arranged it for us.

1 hour ago, Andee said:

If you reread my post, you may notice that I never referenced "private" tours, rather independent ones. Big difference.

Our snorkel excursion was for 4 of us traveling together. The TI on the pier arranged it for us.

To me private or independent are only different in semantics - in other words, they are the same as opposed to the ones organized by the ship. Whether people organize them ahead of time on roll call or spontaneously on the pier - it's the same.

Not to mention that the opportunity for such "independent" tours organized in the ports is rather limited and I would not depend on it happening. It can happen for you personally but if the cost is not shared with others they are seldom cost effective (especially in some places like Europe, Japan, etc)

Disagree. Private is a distinct and different subset of independent.

Independent is any tour not purchased through the cruise line. I've researched tours and signed up in advance in quite a few ports. They were group tours; we didn't know anyone else on the tour. The itinerary was set by the tour operator.

Private is just that, a group we've put together, with no strangers added by the tour operator. We worked with the tour operator to create a personalized itinerary.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Andee said:

Disagree. Private is a distinct and different subset of independent.

Independent is any tour not purchased through the cruise line. I've researched tours and signed up in advance in quite a few ports. They were group tours; we didn't know anyone else on the tour. The itinerary was set by the tour operator.

Private is just that, a group we've put together, with no strangers added by the tour operator. We worked with the tour operator to create a personalized itinerary.

OK😊