Daylight Savings Time while cruising

Organized Chaos

How does the ship handle Daylight Savings Time? Embarkation day is Saturday, March 7th and Daylight Savings starts in the wee hours of the morning on March 8th.

I read a thread from a couple years ago, but people had a few different experiences. Anyone go through this more recently? The consensus seems to be that they'll announce it in the Fun Times (at the very least), but I'm just curious.

Since we "spring forward" and lose an hour, I think I'll go to Guest Services and demand one hour's worth of OBC. 😁 By my calculations, they'll owe me about $4.69, but if they want to round it to $5.00, I'm cool with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know the answer to your question. It's always confused me as well. But what I"m going to do as soon as I get on the ship is adjust my wristwatch to ships time, and go from there. And I"ll make sure to check it daily. I don't know what else to do. :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

We have sailed in the fall and the ship turns its clocks back to stay on the same time as the port from which it sails, so you will probably "spring forward".  So our extra hour offsets your loss, and we just replay the down. : )

• Like 1

It can vary from cruise to cruise.

Once on Carnival, we adjusted it upon the return to our homeport. On a different Carnival cruise, we adjusted it that day. Princess usually matches to local time and we have always matched time changes with Daylight Savings.

It's been several years though since we had a DST change on Carnival so hopefully there is a more consistent procedure nowadays. 

Edited by xDisconnections

26 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

It can vary from cruise to cruise.

Once on Carnival, we adjusted it upon the return to our homeport. On a different Carnival cruise, we adjusted it that day. Princess usually matches to local time and we have always matched time changes with Daylight Savings.

It's been several years though since we had a DST change on Carnival so hopefully there is a more consistent procedure nowadays. 

Yeah, the posts I read had similarly varied experiences. On one, they changed the day of, on another they changed the day before, one was done on a sea day before the actual change, and yet another was a couple days after the change. I guess the answer is, there is no good answer until we get there. I was just wondering if something more concrete was being done in the last couple years. Since time change will officially happen in the early morning of day 2, I think I'd like to see them move the clock ahead on embarkation day to avoid messing with it at all.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Yeah, the posts I read had similarly varied experiences. On one, they changed the day of, on another they changed the day before, one was done on a sea day before the actual change, and yet another was a couple days after the change. I guess the answer is, there is no good answer until we get there. I was just wondering if something more concrete was being done in the last couple years. Since time change will officially happen in the early morning of day 2, I think I'd like to see them move the clock ahead on embarkation day to avoid messing with it at all.

Surprised there isn’t a consistent process with it yet. Either way, I’m sure you’ll have a great cruise! Can’t wait to hear about it.

• Like 1

The ship is no different than being on land. 

The clocks fall back or spring ahead at 2AM just like they do at home.

In January on the Journey's cruise we set clocks an hour ahead before we hit the islands and turned them back on the way home.  The reminder was in the Fun Times for 2AM.

1 hour ago, sgttami said:

The ship is no different than being on land. 

The clocks fall back or spring ahead at 2AM just like they do at home.

As you'll see from this thread, and others in the past, it's not always the same as on land, in regards to the day they make the change. Different cruises have changed the clock on different days throughout that particular cruise. Not necessarily on the day it officially changes. That's why I created this thread...I was curious to know if they had come up with a more definitive policy on the matter. Apparently, they haven't.