Tequila!

KristyMisty14

Last October on the Summit I hunted down an añejo. I can't remember the brand. Check all of the bars... sometimes one will carry something that another one won't. My preferred vodka is Stoli Elit. The only bar I found it in was the Ocean View Cafe!! So go on a tequila hunt.... happy hunting!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike30542 said:

Lifted this from  Premium Beverage Package pdf 

Cazadores Reposado
Don Julio Reposado
Herradura Reposado
Patrón Citrónge
Patrón Reposado
Patrón Silver
Patrón XO Café

KristyMisty14, if you order a drink with Tequila in it, you will need to ask for a premium brand by name or else you may not get the "good stuff"!

2 hours ago, mike30542 said:

Lifted this from  Premium Beverage Package pdf 

Cazadores Reposado
Don Julio Reposado
Herradura Reposado
Patrón Citrónge
Patrón Reposado
Patrón Silver
Patrón XO Café

First, yeah, I'm a Tequila snob...It comes with having done many trips and cruises to Puerto Vallarta--the only region of Mexico where Tequila is made (Tequila, by law, must come from Jalisco State and some small areas in the adjacent states...the actual town of Tequila--where the drink originated--is in the hills between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara. The law is similar to how the French protect the name "Champagne")  and having toured several tequila factories and done many tastings...

That said, this list is actually quite disappointing.  First off, I NEVER drink ANY brand of "Silver" as a first choice.  Silver is, basically, what you use for mixed drinks--where you don't really care about the taste.

There are three types of Tequila:  Silver, Reposado and Anejo...Silver is what you get when you take the Tequila right out of the vat and bottle it--without any of the aging that gives better Tequilas their unique flavors (also leaves it with a harsher taste--yes, even Patron Silver--which is the reason for the need to suck the lime when drinking Silver.  Reposado is aged 6 months in a barrel...Some of the flavor of the wood gets into the Tequila and it acquires a light brown color...It is actually the most favored type of Tequila among Mexicans.  Anejo is aged in the barrel for not less than a full year--often a lot longer than that.  Anejo gets a richer, deeper brown color and a very rich flavor...really a prime sipping liquor--NOT something you'd mix with other ingredients in a cocktail...it's best sipped straight--like a high end Scotch.  Those of you ordering Margaritas and Tequila Sunrises and such, don't worry so much about "calling" your brand...The Juice or the Sweet and Sour mix is going to so overwhelm the Tequila that's in it that it really doesn't matter much...

If there's a big problem with this list, it's that there is no Anejo on the menu at all, even for the "premier" package...and, for the classic package, there isn't even a Reposado.  Now, I generally prefer a good Anejo (and no, that does not mean the over-hyped Patron)...Recently, I opened a bottle of Cazadores Reposado at home...it's not bad, but it really isn't that expensive either--I bought a liter at Costco here in SoCal, IIRC, for about $22...heck, I also have a liter of Cazadores Anejo which, IIRC, I still paid less than $30 for...At those sort of RETAIL prices, there's really no reason they shouldn't at least be on the "premium" menu--maybe even the Reposado on the classic menu!

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

First, yeah, I'm a Tequila snob...

Yeah, that's a pretty disappointing list, isn't it? I guess I've never attempted to order a good tequila on a cruise ship!

And if a Blanco (silver if you're Patron) is smooth, there's a problem. It should taste like Agave, and unaged that's pretty harsh...

I think I have just a taste left in the cupboard of a Casa Noble Extra Anejo. Could be calling my name tonight.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, markeb said:

Yeah, that's a pretty disappointing list, isn't it? I guess I've never attempted to order a good tequila on a cruise ship!

Yes especially if you have the Premium Package, I thought that would be the best of the best lol.... and like the other person described I was hoping for an Anejo.... see if we can find it on board anyways... someone else wrote they did find it at one place

24 minutes ago, Cruizen Susan said:

Me thinks some are taking the fun out of my drinking preference. 😜

Drink what you enjoy! I kind of like a good Blanco every now and then just to mix it up, but I'm pretty much a straight up tequila sipper (no shots, no lime). A good Sangrita, on the other hand...

If you like good tequila, try Tequila Fortaleza....it’s owned by my partners brother, the añejo is especially nice.  And if you ever get the chance, a visit to the town of Tequila is a real treat.  My partners family has had a tequila company for many generations and there is an awesome history to the production and culture there.  And the agave fields are really beautiful.  His brother uses a tahona to crush the roasted agave piña the old fashioned way, which makes his tequila rather special....anyway, thought I’d give his booze a plug! 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chowderbsk said:

If you like good tequila, try Tequila Fortaleza....it’s owned by my partners brother, the añejo is especially nice.  And if you ever get the chance, a visit to the town of Tequila is a real treat.  My partners family has had a tequila company for many generations and there is an awesome history to the production and culture there.  And the agave fields are really beautiful.  His brother uses a tahona to crush the roasted agave piña the old fashioned way, which makes his tequila rather special....anyway, thought I’d give his booze a plug! 😀

It will mean a road trip for me in order to find it... closest distributor is in Massachusetts. 120 miles. 

• Like 1

I’ve been to Panchos a couple times And I’m actually heading back to Cabo next week probably make another stop in ! I’ve tried many different types tequila there I am partial to Blanco’s But everyone’s taste is totally different!I like the Patron silver ,Don Julio Blanco, Don  Blanco 70 !But my personal favorite is Casamigos (George Clooney‘s creation) Super smooth sipping tequila! We usually keep at least five different types in our home we like to do side-by-side tastings with friends and family! The last cruise we did stopped in  Cozumel we actually went to Jose Cuervo‘s site(excursion booked through Celebrity) and did a tasting there and enjoyed a different way of tasting tequila and bought a couple of very nice high-end tequilas!!

Edited by sdnich
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, chowderbsk said:

Here in Dallas Fortaleza has been well received and reviews have been great. Will buy a bottle at some point but need to finish some of my higher end Bourbon and Rum bottles first to make room in the bar!

• Like 1