Norweigan fjords

Aclbas

Hi I'm going on my first cruise for 7 nights to norweigan fjords at end of june to beginning of july i would just like to know some information like what the weather is like then what's the best sort of clothing to take for there and best trips to do through p&o thanks any help would appreciate it 

The Fjords are stunning, I'm sure you will have a great time. 

You can never tell the weather in the Fjords, we prepared for rain, snow and cold weather in May and ended up sunbathing in jeans... 

Layers is the only answer. 

Most of the ports are easily accessible by foot as you tend to dock fairly close to the centre, so easy access for road trains, hoho buses etc. 

Others will give you more specifics regarding tours, but whatever you do, you will have a great time. 

Andy 

We were there a similar time last year, the weather varied anywhere between hot & sunny and cool & damp, sometimes even on the same day! Take a thin-ish waterproof jacket and clothes you can add or remove layers underneath.

Which ports will you be calling at?

Further to the other suggestions on clothing, water repellent trousers that zip-off into shorts are really useful imho.

In Geiranger, we bought a return bus trip in the local Tourist Office (right by where you land from the ship) up to Mount Dalsnibba, which was a good trip and very cost-effective.  Back in the village, we had coffee and cake and a bit later a beer sitting on the terrace of the small hotel that looks right down the fjord.  We were lucky that the weather was gorgeous.

In Olden we booked a ship's excursion (we were there with Saga) to the Briksdal Glacier, which again was fabulous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aclbas said:

Ok great thank you ports of call are stavanger, olden, geiranger, hellesylt and Bergen 

Hi

We have been to the fjords in June and July (different years) and had stunning weather both times - 20-25C. You will love the very long daylight hours. In Bergen we took the funicular one way to the top and then walked back down. A true holiday memory to treasure. You will have a fab time whatever you decide to do, but as suggested in other posts do take layers to wear. 

Olden, we took the P&O excursion to the Loen Skylift and Kjenndal Glacier. The Loen skylift cable car would have been spectacular in better weather, unfortunately the day we were there the top of the cable car was hidden in low clouds/ mists  so although we got a good view on the way up there wasn't much to be seen from the top (although wandering around in a cloud was an experience in itself, I guess!). We loved the trip to the glacier, the glacier itself is impressive and the drive around the lake very scenic and the tour guide had some very interesting commentary. We stopped on the way back to see a grass-roofed summer village and also a memorial thing as well. It also left us enough time to wander along the fjord to the little Olden village after getting back to the ship. Other than the beautiful scenery, there's not much to see in the port area itself.

Stavanger, there's plenty to do that's walking distance from the ship. We moored right by the old town and enjoyed wandering around. There's a traditional worker's cottage you can look round free of charge (next to the canning museum) that also sells ridiculously cheap Norwegian waffles. The canning museum was interesting if you like that kind of thing. We also really enjoyed the Petroleum Museum (far more interesting than it sounds!), it's an easy 15 minute walk from the port. We'd hoped to go to the Viking House VR exhibit  as it looks really interesting but the opening was delayed until after our visit. 

Bergen, we enjoyed both the Floibanen funicular railway (get there early if you can, as we walked straight there from the ship, got there about 7.30am and walked straight on but by the time we came down there were long queues - we also downloaded the app before the cruise and used it to buy tickets before we got off the ship in Bergen, which saved us having to queue up at the ticket office) and the Mount Ulriken cable car (we bought the tickets at the tourist info office and took the shuttle bus from just round the corner from there). Brilliant views across Bergen from both, although we did have glorious sunshine, which helped!

• Like 1

All being well my husband, my parents and I are on that cruise too. We have never been to Norway before, or cruised before so it's all new to us. We have booked several trips through P&O. In Stavanger we have booked the Pulpit Rock Lysefjord cruise, in Olden we have booked the Troll Car trip  at the glacier, we're doing our own thing in Geiranger, possibly getting the local hop on hop off bus and in Bergen we have booked the do it yourself Funicular trip. We know that booking excursions through P&O is not the cheapest option but we wanted the security of knowing it didn't matter if the arrival time back at the ship was delayed plus booking on the P&O website was really easy.

The Glacier in Olden is easy to do yourself and a fraction of the price. There are two DIY options. There is shop at the port that offers does small group minibus transfers for around £25 return or there is a coach transfer available at he port for about £10 return, For those with mobility issues there are plenty of trolly cars at the Glacier park that will take you up to the glacier and back for a small fee. The Glacier was one of the highlights of our Fjords Cruise.

On 3/2/2020 at 11:48 AM, SarahHben said:

All being well my husband, my parents and I are on that cruise too. We have never been to Norway before, or cruised before so it's all new to us. We have booked several trips through P&O. In Stavanger we have booked the Pulpit Rock Lysefjord cruise, in Olden we have booked the Troll Car trip  at the glacier, we're doing our own thing in Geiranger, possibly getting the local hop on hop off bus and in Bergen we have booked the do it yourself Funicular trip. We know that booking excursions through P&O is not the cheapest option but we wanted the security of knowing it didn't matter if the arrival time back at the ship was delayed plus booking on the P&O website was really easy.

Hi guys, from memory the hop on hop off bus has 2 or 3 stops of poor quality... The funicular can be a nightmare especially if other ships are in port and if the passengers on them can disembark before you. 
The only excursion I’d recommend would  be the all day Mount Dalsnibba trip in Gerainger at about £96. Oh, nearly forgot, the golf car trip (sorry the troll car) was poor value and well over hyped 😞 

Apologies for the negatives but it’s better you know....

On 3/2/2020 at 11:48 AM, SarahHben said:

We done the funicular 

trip ourselves went there straight from ship in a queue for about 20mins lovely views and walks up top.Ship left early from Bergen about 2pm/3pm. 

18 hours ago, devonuk said:

Hi guys, from memory the hop on hop off bus has 2 or 3 stops of poor quality... The funicular can be a nightmare especially if other ships are in port and if the passengers on them can disembark before you. 
The only excursion I’d recommend would  be the all day Mount Dalsnibba trip in Gerainger at about £96. Oh, nearly forgot, the golf car trip (sorry the troll car) was poor value and well over hyped 😞 

Apologies for the negatives but it’s better you know....

Thanks. I've watched plenty of youtube videos of the ones I want to do and they haven't put me off. I'll take my chances 🙂