Cococay: Shade & Water Fun

There will be eight of us on an upcoming cruise with a stop at Cococay. I'm looking at the excursion list and I see cabanas and daybeds for rent. The daybeds won't work for our group, and the cabanas only come with two loungers. Is there an easier/inexpensive option to have some shade and be near each other? Maybe clamshell rentals? Also, will we be able to rent floating mats and snorkel gear once onboard? Or will we have to wait until we arrive at the island and hope they aren't sold out? Thanks for any insight - the island has changed so much since we were last there (in 2003!). 

First off there are now a lot more loungers on the beach.

Second good news the umbrellas are now free and are prepositioned every few loungers,  so pick a row of loungers that meet your needs.

Last year or two I recall being able to prebook floating mats pre-cruise.  Can't remember about last year post "Perfect Day".  If you are the only ship at Coco Cay there most likely won't be any issue with the mats running out.  The island is now designed to handle 10,000-12,000 people at one time.

Thanks everyone! I didn't know that the daybeds came with loungers, so two day beds might be an option. If we get on the island early and snag some loungers and umbrellas, we might be good for free. Thanks again!

14 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

Thanks everyone! I didn't know that the daybeds came with loungers, so two day beds might be an option. If we get on the island early and snag some loungers and umbrellas, we might be good for free. Thanks again!

We took the tram to the lagoon pool which is free to use. There were plenty of loungers with umbrellas so we set up our base camp there.  So we ate the free food and drinks, used the free pool and beach, and ended up not spending a dime there. 

Almost all of the free loungers  on all of the free beaches have free umbrellas. If you get to the beach on the early side, you will have no problem getting as many loungers together as you need.

we were there a few weeks ago and there was a party of about 20 not too far away from us. 

you can rent mats once you are there.

enjoy 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1