15 hours ago, Scotmay said:

Can't seem to find a tour at this port for the 1st of September, 2020. Are there usually plenty of taxis at the port. 

May

This may sound odd, but contact Dubrovnik Driving Guide. Julija Antunovic is an amazing driver and guide (read her reviews), you will never regret booking her if you can, and if I'm not mistaken she actually is from Montenegro. Who would think to look under Dubrovnik! Good luck. 

• 3 months later...

You can contact agencies in Dubrovnik and that recommendation is very good but if you want tour by locals, I suggest to check small family agencies like Mont Travelers, Montenegro Lifestyle or Visit-Kotor, etc.  My best experience was with www.monttravelers.com Anyway, I am happy to see someone is really optimistic about cruising 😇

Edited by Marck123

You first need to decide if you even want a vehicle.  If your goal is to simply see (and experience) Kotor, the town is located only a few yards from the pier (whether you dock or are tendered).  The city is Kotor can only be explored on foot.  If you want to explore some of the region beyond Kotor then you will find plenty of taxis and there are even some regional buses.  On our last visit (our 4th to Kotor) we actually rented a car and drove the region for many hours.  But for first time visitors I strongly recommend spending some or all of your time in the walled city of Kotor.  You do not need a guide or tour to see Kotor unless that is something you prefer.  Kotor has some nice walls (you can walk to the top), plenty of cafes/restaurants and many small shops.   It is a picturesque area and a terrific port.  You also want to be on deck for 2-3 hours as you to and from Kotor as the scenery is a real highlight.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, you will love Kotor. It was the most beautiful sail into port I have ever seen (first pic below). We booked a wonderful tour with Montenegro Tours. I had read about it through another review here on Cruise Critic. I ended up getting another couple, now friends, from our roll call to join us and it was a wonderful day with just the 4 of us and our guide, George. He took us all over the area on a nice scenic drive after seeing some sites near the port (over to Budva for lunch).  If you want more time in the city walls though, do let him know that as we only had approximately 20 minutes at the end of our tour and I really would have loved more time to shop and explore. But you can let him know ahead of time and I'm sure he can cater to your needs. Here are some pictures from our excursion that day and his link. https://www.mtours.me/

IMG_2732.thumb.JPG.94c661e024263aac34e5bfd79a2410d4.JPG

IMG_4601.thumb.JPG.11c76f8d5fea94fd8450f598244acb12.JPG

IMG_2816.thumb.JPG.4b03415b9680c141ade120b0287caa16.JPG

IMG_2821.thumb.JPG.49d1eb5d191e572361a64b2f292b8dc0.JPG

IMG_5045.thumb.JPG.6374010321610cbafce2c33a0725ea8d.JPG

• 1 year later...

We will be in Kotor next May (if the stars align) and have a long port day (0900-22:00). It looks to be really crowded that day (5200 pax plus any crew). After 14:00 the city will really clear out. 

We have never visited Kotor - doing a B2B we will visit twice with the second visit a shorter one. Would you recommend we find a 1/2 day tour out of the city proper on the long day?  Will that volume of pax make Kotor feel really crowded, of is it large enough to fairly well absorb these numbers (I would be surprised). 
We are really looking forward to this port. thank you 

• 2 years later...
On 6/6/2020 at 5:24 PM, Marck123 said:

You can contact agencies in Dubrovnik and that recommendation is very good but if you want tour by locals, I suggest to check small family agencies like Mont Travelers, Montenegro Lifestyle or Visit-Kotor, etc.  My best experience was with www.monttravelers.com Anyway, I am happy to see someone is really optimistic about cruising 😇

We also engaged Mont Travelers for our Kotor tour and Dubrovnik Driving Guide for our Dubrovnik tour. The experience was amazing, with highly professional guides. Their prices were very reasonable, and they were attentive to our time constraints as cruise passengers. It's always fulfilling to share positive experiences with small local companies, particularly in Balkan countries where support can make a significant difference. We're returning to ports again this year and eagerly anticipating it.

We thoroughly enjoyed our full day in Kotor. Agree, it was one of the most beautiful sail in scenically. 
We spent the day DIY in the area. We walked  and walked and enjoyed every minute. Such wonderful people, incredible architecture, scenic vista points. We spent a leisurely lunch in the main square enjoying local foods and beers, watching the tour groups walk by behind the lollipops and glad we were on our own. It’s an easy port to DIY. 
Of course we don’t know what we missed, and if an opportunity to return presents itself, we would likely look for a private 1/2 day tour, reserving time again to just soak up Kotor. 

• Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 9:31 AM, Vineyard View said:

We will be in Kotor next May (if the stars align) and have a long port day (0900-22:00). It looks to be really crowded that day (5200 pax plus any crew). After 14:00 the city will really clear out. 

We have never visited Kotor - doing a B2B we will visit twice with the second visit a shorter one. Would you recommend we find a 1/2 day tour out of the city proper on the long day?  Will that volume of pax make Kotor feel really crowded, of is it large enough to fairly well absorb these numbers (I would be surprised). 
We are really looking forward to this port. thank you 

Lucky you doing it twice. We've been there twice. I would do a full day trip on the longer day and spend the shorter day in Kotor old town. We filled in a whole day of each. On the excursion.. you've got places like 2500 year old Budva down the road, Perast, lady of the rocks and other places to see. Kotor old town is fun to wander.. check out the old walls.. eat lunch in the square etc. 

• Like 3

On 3/3/2020 at 12:53 AM, Scotmay said:

Can't seem to find a tour at this port for the 1st of September, 2020

In addition to exploring Kotor itself, you could also take a taxi or public bus the short distance to Perast.  On the waterfront there  are to be found the boatmen who will take you across to "Our Lady of the Rock" which you will pass on both the sail-in and sail-out.  Your ship will probably offer shorex to it, but it is easy to DIY. We did this on our second visit having thoroughly explored the town itself the first time, although "thoroughly" didn't include the steep walk up to the Fortress.

The Kotor sail-in is beautiful, so do try to be up on deck early to experience it. Same views leaving but the light is very different.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1