Captain the Last to Leave the Diamond Princess

capriccio

21 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The Captain deserves many full glasses of his favorite Italian wine when he gets home.  

Oh dear if he is heading to Italy, might he not be allowed back in since he is coming from the region where it began.

also he might be walking back INTO it again and get exposed.   Poor guy.  I say he heads for Antartica and stays put for a while.

3 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Poor guy.  I say he heads for Antartica and stays put for a while.

Your comment caused me to laugh.  I'm sure the penguins would not mind his company.  Fall/Winter is approaching for that Continent.  Won't be a good day for the beach for the Captain, however.

Just now, rkacruiser said:

Your comment caused me to laugh.  I'm sure the penguins would not mind his company.  Fall/Winter is approaching for that Continent.  Won't be a good day for the beach for the Captain, however.

you are welcome.  glad to provide a laugh during this time of worry for many.

But really he is headed to ITALY.  wow hoping the best.

• Like 1

I can speak with authority on this subject because I just returned home from a wonderful cruise on the Diamond, followed by 12 days of quarantine on the Diamond (and an additional 14 at Lackland AFB)  getting daily updates from our Captain Arma.  A captain has a duty to his/her passengers to care for their health and safety regardless of a disaster whether that disaster affects the ship (as in sinking) or its passengers health (as in the Corona virus situation).  Schettino failed miserably.  Caprtain Arma's integrity, fortitude, levity, calming voice  and leadership kept passengers and crew from staging a mutiny and storming the exits.  He is the Hero in this unfortunate tragedy which was exacerbated by the inept management of the quarantine by the Japanese government.  Captain Arma's nightmare lasted 23 days and he valiantly stayed with his ship to the very end. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Is there an update on the ship itself? What's the status and where is the ship headed next?

A report a few weeks ago indicated it would resume sailing on April 29th after cleaning guidance by CDC and WHO.

Per CNN:

Princess Cruises is working with the Japanese Ministry of Health on sanitation specifics, cruise line Public Relations Director Negin Kamali told CNN Travel.
The expectation, Kamali explains, "is that the ship will be fully sanitized by a cleaning company with an expertise in this area following guidance from the US Centers for Disease Control and World Health Organization."
  • Like 1