what to do about Caribbean cruise next week?

1 hour ago, Fartlek said:

Good chance you won’t get sick but there still a chance that you will.

The same can be said about the possibility of contracting Norovirus on a cruise.  Precautions to prevent both are going to be similar (frequent hand washing, keep your hands away from your face, cover your cough/sneeze, etc) and if you're in otherwise good health the risk of death is minimal.  I wouldn't hesitate to go on a cruise in the near future if I didn't have other plans (I'm actually flying somewhere else this weekend and haven't given it a second thought), the risk of a cruise being quarantined seems to be fairly low.

It's all relative. The risk associated with a Caribbean cruise is presently , of course, far less than Asia or Europe. Plus, you have to factor in passenger health and medical history. What I am saying is that there is no one size fits all answer here. Everyone is different. You have to factor in itinerary, medical history, etc and then make this best decision for your specific situation.

2 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

I guess I’m the only one praying to be quarantined on my cruise next week?! 🤪

NOPE!! 🤣

In truth, I'm not sailing until end of March, but still... you know the saying, "damn the topedoes, full speed ahead".... 

Edited by All-ready2cruise
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We are at the tail end of our cruise to the Caribbean. Stopped on Cozumel today. All seems quite normal, except for the fact that our ship isn’t full. 

I brought my laptop and I pick up an orange when I leave the thermal suite. If we get stuck on Saturday, at least we will have some fruit. 

We are in the Haven as well. Certainly don’t want to be stuck but the accommodations aren’t half bad 😉

I wouldnt cancel but it’s a little easier to say now that we are almost home. 

I sure hope you post a review 🙂  

• Like 1

I leave March 22 and no way I’m canceling. So I say go and enjoy! From what I’ve read the ship wasn’t supposed to dock until Saturday so they aren’t actually stuck at sea right now. Unless people are sick or were on the prior cruise, people aren’t quarantined in their cabins. The tests results for those being tested will be done tonight and if any are positive they will decide the best way to disembark. I really don’t think they will repeat the diamond princess fiasco and keep everyone in the Petri dish. That certainly didn’t work.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firstimerhaven said:

I probably should have said in my original question, I live in Westchester where there is now a big cluster.  I work in Manhattan.  My kids go to school walking distance from one of the schools that was closed because of this cluster.  I take the subway every day.  But I am still torn about going because of the risk of quarantine.  

I hear you, if you're in Westchester, we're practically neighbors. Watching the numbers around us triple daily. I also work in the city. Good times.....They are also bringing home 300 SUNY/CUNY students from China, S Korea, Italy and Iran through Stewart, so hopefully they can successfully quarantine them. I am in the same situation with an upcoming in May and worried about the quarantine more than anything. Go with your gut instinct, good luck (if the numbers around us continue to spike, I'm out).

My husband and I are booked for the 3/14 sailing too and are likely not going to go due to the risk of quarantine.  My husband can work remotely and his company is now encouraging it but I can’t and while I have some extra time off I am not sure a quarantine is how I want to spend it. In addition, I would have to have co-workers fill in for me and that doesn’t seem fair or responsible to risk burdening them for another 2-3 weeks because I wanted to go.

Lastly, I think I would go crazy confined to my cabin in a quarantine which the Grand Princess is doing for all passengers not just the ones that are a potential risk https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/05/coronavirus-live-updates-us-death-toll-schools-amtrak/4953471002/

On 3/5/2020 at 3:36 PM, firstimerhaven said:

which boat are you on?  BTW, NCL claims our boat is almost full but I don't believe it.  Or maybe it looks full to NCL because when people decide to go but can't get a refund they just don't tell NCL?

We were on Escape.  Just disembarked this morning with no problems at all.  Ship definitely didn't appear to be full.

On 3/5/2020 at 11:07 PM, Chiefandpumpkin said:

My husband and I are booked for the 3/14 sailing too and are likely not going to go due to the risk of quarantine.

That's really a shame.  I completely understand your feelings about the risk.  Hopefully you can reschedule after al this business dies down.

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We were on Escape.  Just disembarked this morning with no problems at all.  Ship definitely didn't appear to be full.

So happy that you have no problems to repot this morning from the

ESCAPE. Looking forward to reading your review.