Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

Very frustrating as I heard it as AND has a underlying condition however the .gov page states OR one of the following -Diabeties and asthma are both included in the list. My partner is fit and healthy but just happens to also be diabetic (insulin dependent), I’m sure lots of lots of healthy asthmatics too. Surely we are not all expected to cancel now? Although the only silver lining is at least I should be able to claim for a refund via travel insurance 

25 minutes ago, staygulf said:

So I’m going to cancel due to my wife’s health and claim a full refund

I think you will find you will not get a refund, but you will get a percentage refund and Future Cruise Credit.

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I think you will find you will not get a refund, but you will get a percentage refund and Future Cruise Credit.

No that’s their policy as of a few days ago before the Government announcement. The Package Travel Regulations say otherwise. 

Edited by staygulf

Looks like Ventura is stuck out in the North sea with nowhere to dock. Surely P&O will have to go into lock down 'a la' Princess and Viking with less and less ports to dock in..

We've 2 booked due to sail relatively soon - Mid May and late June.

Due to health issues we've been taking out single trip insurance for all our cruises.

Haven't had a look at the cost for the June trip but it may be prohibitive should it go ahead.

For the moment we will sit tight and see if both get cancelled by P&O.

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Well, the notice that said "if you can provide a doctors letter" has disappeared.

Yes Jean , that’s because they are applying their new cancellation policy to everyone, despite health conditions. But that doesn’t preclude your rights under the legislation. 

3 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

Sorry, that should have been Aurora rather than Ventura. She's coming back but can't dock in Ponta Delgada. 

I think you were right. Ventura at ponta delgada on way back from Caribbean. 
Aurora is slowing down as can’t dock anywhere as Norway had closed borders

The relevant Press Release can be found at the following link. I have not cut and pasted it due to size.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/over-70s-and-at-risk-brits-advised-against-travelling-on-cruise-ships

What I will say is that it throws up some confusion within the document. One bullet point states

"new advice applies to those aged over 70 and with relevant pre-existing health conditions"

which implies the the restrictions only apply if your over 70 and have pre-existing health conditions.

Later in the document it states:-

"British nationals aged 70 and over, and those with underlying health conditions such as chronic diseases and diabetes, have been advised not to travel on cruise ships in response to the coronavirus outbreak"

This now reads that if you are over 70 regardless of your health you should not travel on a cruise ship.

I do wish people would proof read their documents as this kind of confusing terminology will only serve to add to the confusion

Edited by arlowood
spelling

My friend who sails with us (and I look after her email) has just received an email from P&O regarding "not sailing if you are over 70".  Yet again, I have not received any of these emails.  However, we have just cancelled, so don't know where we are now.

Tweet published by P&O timed 19.49 today

“UK Gov has advised against cruise ship travel for people aged 70+ & people with pre-existing health conditions. We understand if you're concerned by this. For cruises departing within 14 days, call 0344 338 8636 from 9am tomorrow. If outside 14 days, we'll contact you shortly.”

An important message from P&O Cruises

Mrs ... in light of the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, the UK Government has issued advice against cruise ship travel for British nationals aged 70 and over and people with pre-existing health conditions.

We understand if you are concerned by this advice. As your cruise is departing outside 14 days, we will be in touch as soon as possible with further guidance.

What's going on! Just heard that Spain are restricting cruise ship access. Not sure of the details yet.

Oceana is due to dock in Malaga tomorrow?

Not sure why cruise ships are getting targeted if flights in are not being cancelled.

Are we cruisers all filthy and disease ridden?

4 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

What's going on! Just heard that Spain are restricting cruise ship access. Not sure of the details yet.

Oceana is due to dock in Malaga tomorrow?

Not sure why cruise ships are getting targeted if flights in are not being cancelled.

Are we cruisers all filthy and disease ridden?

It's nothing personal, but at the moment cruise ships are described as massive incubators for coronavirus. If a ship enters a port and has just one infected passenger, the cost to that port is massive. Plus the danger of infecting the locals.

1 minute ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

It's nothing personal, but at the moment cruise ships are described as massive incubators for coronavirus. If a ship enters a port and has just one infected passenger, the cost to that port is massive. Plus the danger of infecting the locals.

Much the same if a plane lands with an infected passenger, they can infect the locals just as much as a cruise ship passenger.

I don't fly but, say 8 planes landing in a tourist area on a given day, they could have the same number of infected people onboard as a medium sized cruise ship. Ships get banned but planes still arrive.