Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Apologies if I read the information incorrectly. I was not aware that it applied to just deposits as well and I’m sure others will make exactly the same mistake, so thanks for sharing your experience.

it's a pleasure. It is all very confusing out there at the moment!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 7:51 AM, Selbourne said:

Yes, I believe that’s the case John. Although I think it’s unlikely that we will want to go on a cruise in the next year or two, as I had written the deposit off in my mind I shall most likely convert it to FCC before the balance due date as there is nothing to be lost by doing so. Under the ‘old’ rules it could only be put towards a cruise of at least the same value, but now it can be against any cruise. If we are tempted to do a 7 day cruise in 18 months time it would give quite a big percentage discount off, what I suspect, will be a cheap price anyway! If not, we are in no worse a position than if we just let it lapse when the balance due date comes. 

Am I still correct in saying it has to go against a new booking and you can't lump more than one deposit together?

52 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

Am I still correct in saying it has to go against a new booking and you can't lump more than one deposit together?

Eventually it has to go towards a new booking. You don’t have to commit to a specific booking straight away, it just sits on P&O’s system against your name until you use it. You cannot put it towards an existing booking. As each converted deposit converts to FCC, I have seen nothing to suggest that you cannot use the accumulated FCC from several converted deposits on one booking, so I would say yes you can, but might be best to check with P&O. One other point of interest. When I called P&O to convert the £350 deposit from our Summer cruise to FCC (as, although the cruise is not yet cancelled, we wouldn’t have gone anyway so didn’t want to pay the balance) I specifically asked about the statement about ‘book by end 2021 for cruises up to Mar 2022’. I said that there were no cruises prior to Mar 22 that we wanted to go on (also, they are currently more expensive than at launch). I said that by the end of this year / beginning of next year (when the FCC is still valid) Summer 2022 cruises will have gone on sale and asked if I would be able to use the FCC against one of those. The answer surprised me. They said yes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgs1956 said:

You can use more than one FCC towards a new booking. We have done exactly that.  In fact we used 3 FCCs, 2 for cruises cancelled due to Covid, and the third for a cruise cancelled due the ship breaking down in Tenerife and unable to get back to Southampton on time.

• Like 1

I've booked a med cruise for June out of Southampton  which will be cancelled so I'm waiting , suites in the  the med cruises for 2021  are full,  so FCC not any use.

When my cruise is cancelled I shall give them a simple choice.

Guarantee me the same grade of cabin for a similar 19 day cruise in 2022, for the money I've paid , don't care if they give me 125% FCC and then charge me 25% more as long as I don't have to pay more 

If they can't do this my answer will be simple, I want a cash refund. 

I expect it will be a refund, which will be not what I want or they want

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

One other point of interest. When I called P&O to convert the £350 deposit from our Summer cruise to FCC (as, although the cruise is not yet cancelled, we wouldn’t have gone anyway so didn’t want to pay the balance) I specifically asked about the statement about ‘book by end 2021 for cruises up to Mar 2022’. I said that there were no cruises prior to Mar 22 that we wanted to go on (also, they are currently more expensive than at launch). I said that by the end of this year / beginning of next year (when the FCC is still valid) Summer 2022 cruises will have gone on sale and asked if I would be able to use the FCC against one of those. The answer surprised me. They said yes. 

Whilst I appreciate that it hasn't been tested yet this is really great news. We are in a similar position to you, with a similar FCC (having cancelled our July 2020 cruise) that at the moment we are unlikely to be able to use.

Our usual strategy is to book almost 2 years ahead so if bookings become available in September for 2022 Summer cruises, and if we can use the FCC to make a booking, then we'll be really happy! 

I really hope that this works out and is not just an imprudent comment from an under-pressure call centre operator. It would certainly help restore some of my lost faith in P&O.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Whilst I appreciate that it hasn't been tested yet this is really great news. We are in a similar position to you, with a similar FCC (having cancelled our July 2020 cruise) that at the moment we are unlikely to be able to use.

Our usual strategy is to book almost 2 years ahead so if bookings become available in September for 2022 Summer cruises, and if we can use the FCC to make a booking, then we'll be really happy! 

I really hope that this works out and is not just an imprudent comment from an under-pressure call centre operator. It would certainly help restore some of my lost faith in P&O.

Fingers crossed Damian and yes, I agree, the acid test will be when summer 2022 cruises go on sale. The chap I spoke to even checked with a colleague when I asked the question, but I’m not counting on it just yet as P&O are renowned for giving different answers to the same question, depending on who you speak to! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am just preparing my money claim online as I intend to sue P & O for my refund next Tuesday which will be 60 days following my claim.

Just wondering if anyone has actually received a refund from P and O yet?

2 minutes ago, staygulf said:

I am just preparing my money claim online as I intend to sue P & O for my refund next Tuesday which will be 60 days following my claim.

Just wondering if anyone has actually received a refund from P and O yet?

Yes, just read through the threads. Pete got his today.

You need to read the current threads, not this old one.

Edited by wowzz

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Yes, just read through the threads. Pete got his today.

Well they've got just under a week and then it's all systems go. And if I get judgment, it's on with the winding up order against Carnival.

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2020 at 9:57 AM, jeanlyon said:

Thank you for that.  I would agree with what you said.  Unfortunately, I took the 40% refund and 60% FCC before they brought out the over 70 cancellation.

My answer was for Selbourne.

Jean

This is what I remembered, that you had posted, but you must have obviously changed it later? Would that not have moved the dates?