AMAWaterways Covid 19 Cancel Policy

AF-1

Hello AMA Cruisers.  Has anyone seen or hear what their policy is about upcoming cancellations?  I did see something about if you bought their add on insurance you could cancel and get future credit without losing any money.  Have you heard anything new in the past few days?  Their website shows nothing regarding updates;  in my opinion I think they should list these things on their website.  Their facebook pages has nothing about Covid19 either.  Thanks and have a nice day.

Hi AF-1, we’re scheduled on an AmaWaterways trip in December and received an email from our TA several days ago about the waiver that can be purchased.  Here’s info from ama’s webpage.  Personally I’m not too happy with it, just another money grab as I inquired about this waiver when we originally booked, at that time we were more concerned about water levels, how things change!  Anyhow, even tho it’s Cancel for any reason, water levels were not a covered reason?  I have a call in to our TA for more elaboration, I think this has to be booked by March 15th but I could be wrong.

NEW TRAVEL WAIVER PLUSTravel With Peace of Mind

In light of the recent global events and uncertainties around travel, we wish to offer our guests additional flexibility and peace of mind so they may continue to safeguard the wonderful plans they have made for their much-anticipated river cruise with AmaWaterways. As a result, we will offer for a limited time, special provisions which allow guests with new or existing reservations to purchase AmaWaterways Travel Waiver Plus*. AmaWaterways Travel Waiver Plusprovides cancellation for any reason, up to 24 hours prior to the start of their AmaWaterways booked services (cruise, pre-cruise land extensions, air etc.) Should you decide to cancel your cruise for any reason, AmaWaterways will provide a future cruise credit* covering cancellation penalties, and the balance will be refunded based on our standard cancellation policy for services purchased through AmaWaterways. 

Effective immediately, guests wishing to add Travel Waiver Plus are no longer required to purchase AmaWaterways Cruise Protection Plan. For all new or existing reservations, the Travel Waiver Plus may be purchased up to 48 hours prior to the start of AmaWaterways purchased services.

Travel Waiver Plus price:

• $80 per person – for those who purchase AmaWaterways Cruise Protection Plan*
  • $175 per person – if purchased without AmaWaterways Cruise Protection Plan* or if you have purchased travel protection independently

To purchase AmaWaterways Travel Waiver Plus, contact your Travel Advisor or AmaWaterways at 1.800.626.0126.

*AmaWaterways Travel Waiver Plus allows you to cancel your vacation for any reason up to 24 hours prior to the start of your AmaWaterways booked services. Waivers under the Travel Waiver Plus program provided by AmaWaterways will cover cancellation penalties (in the form of a Future Cruise Credit) for services purchased through AmaWaterways. Future cruise credit will cover cancellation penalties, and the balance will be refunded based on our standard cancellation policy for services purchased through AmaWaterways. Future cruise credit is valid for any sailings within 24 months from the day your cancellation was received. Travel Waiver Plus is not available for Africa Safaris and Wildlife Cruises. This program does not include any additional benefits. AmaWaterways Cruise Protection Plan can only be purchased prior to final payment. Travel Waiver Plus may be purchased up to 48 hours prior to the start of AmaWaterways purchased services. Cancellations must be received at least 24 hours prior to the start of your AmaWaterways booked services. This limited time offer with special provisions may be changed or withdrawn at any time. Other restrictions may apply. CST#2065452-20.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by suspaul

We were in the process of booking a Danube cruise with Ama for later this summer, taking advantage of some incentivized pricing on available cabins, when the coronavirus started to become more rampant. All along, Ama has been intransigent in insisting on the purchase of their Travel Waiver Plus plan for $175 per person to extend cancellation protections that other lines are offering for no additional fee.

Today, our twice-extended hold expires for the third time, and Ama's best offer is to allow us to buy their additional plan -- for an additional $350 -- up to 48 hours before the start of the cruise.

Nope. Not happening.

It is totally not in our best interest to go ahead with this reservation right now, and at this point, we'll wait for the fire sale pricing that will happen after all the cancellations, closings, and quarantines have run their course. 

FWIW, had Ama stepped up when we first asked about waiving the fee for additional coverage, WE WOULD HAVE BOOKED and waited to see when and how things resolve. Maybe they're fine and not hemorrhaging money, in which case they don't need my booking and won't care, but it seemed very short-sighted to me at the time, and even more so right now.

• Like 1

Greetings,

My concerns about Ama's supplemental "insurance";

1. They will be holding a substantial amount of money for up to two years. There is no guarantee that a suitable cruise will be available in that timeframe or even if we will be in a position to take it in that time. If there is a cruise available will it be in the time slot and grade of cabin we prefer is another concern.

2. It may negate any existing cancellation insurance due to being offered an out through a postponement option.

3. It would also extend travel times beyond the end date of travel insurance already purchased at a significant cost.

The only satisfactory option we would accept is full refund if a trip is deemed unsafe. Ama's existing cancellation policy is fine for those who simply change their mind however this issue is well beyond the control of the average traveller. I don't think Ama is paying thought to impact on reputation and future liability issues. They are demonstrating profit over safety mindset, an attitude that is helping this virus spread.

• Like 2

Well our trip starts May 6th and ends May 18th.  We have until the 15th; which is Sunday to decide if we want to add the extra protection.  Right now it's 50/50 if we even get to go.

• Like 1

Hi, I have an April cruise booked and I also purchased the waiver.  I doubt I will be sailing...….I have a TA crossing

before my river cruise so both of them will probably be postponed till later in the year:classic_sad:

26 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Well our trip starts May 6th and ends May 18th.  We have until the 15th; which is Sunday to decide if we want to add the extra protection.  Right now it's 50/50 if we even get to go.

Mine is the 28th,  Holding my breath to see if they cancel or not.  Since we are doing the Mekong and Viking just had a ship get quarantine with the virus,  so hoping they cancel us. 

1 minute ago, newcruiser1956 said:

Mine is the 28th,  Holding my breath to see if they cancel or not.  Since we are doing the Mekong and Viking just had a ship get quarantine with the virus,  so hoping they cancel us. 

Saw that. I'm hoping they cancel you, too. (Wow, I never thought I'd actually have to say that.) The Mekong is my dream cruise, but we can't spare the time yet. I guess that, for now, that's a good thing. Please keep us posted.

I just cancelled a Danube trip with Ama that was to start on March 27.  I am receiving the standard cancellation from the contract. All but $350 on airfare (we had business class and $350 seems good). And we are getting 20% on the cruise. They will have the credit to my credit card submitted today.  We have an annual travel insurance plan from Allianz. My husband truly is sick right now and we have 2 doctors saying do not go. I do expect to get reimbursed fully from Allianz but know that will be a process.

Ama did not try to talk me out of it. They asked if I had the travel waiver and I said no, I wanted to cancel and they obliged. I was only on the phone for a couple of minutes.

Well things just got interesting.  The President banned travel from Europe to the US for 30 days.   Anyone who has a cruise scheduled this month won't be able to come back; so you may as well cancel your cruise.  Others such as myself; who has a May 6th cruise; will take a wait and see attitude.  Good luck to all

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Well things just got interesting.  The President banned travel from Europe to the US for 30 days.   Anyone who has a cruise scheduled this month won't be able to come back; so you may as well cancel your cruise.  Others such as myself; who has a May 6th cruise; will take a wait and see attitude.  Good luck to all

The restrictions do not cover U.S. citizens. Trump did not make that clear in his address.

9 hours ago, AF-1 said:

The whole thing had to be corrected AFTER the speech....there was more than one item that had to be corrected. You would have thought whoever wrote that thing would have gone over it for clarity:classic_rolleyes:

US Citizens can come back. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AF-1 said:

US citizens can come back but they need to come back thru an airport that has the health screening procedures required.  I am waiting a little bit to see if TAP air will issue some kind of refund instead of a credit or change as they don't really many places I want to go.  One of their pilots just tested positive. Two things are pushing me to the cancel, getting stranded because of contact with someone that has the virus or actually getting sick and lying on a gurney in a Portugal hospital hallway for a week..The bitter irony, it took me almost a year to get my Global Entry and the minute I got it all hell broke loose.

28 minutes ago, CUTTERSAM said:

US citizens can come back but they need to come back thru an airport that has the health screening procedures required.  I am waiting a little bit to see if TAP air will issue some kind of refund instead of a credit or change as they don't really many places I want to go.  One of their pilots just tested positive. Two things are pushing me to the cancel, getting stranded because of contact with someone that has the virus or actually getting sick and lying on a gurney in a Portugal hospital hallway for a week..The bitter irony, it took me almost a year to get my Global Entry and the minute I got it all hell broke loose.

Good morning,  I called TAP yesterday (took a while to get through) and I have cancelled my flights. One of them was a refundable ticket...the other was not but it was really cheap. The rep said I would still

get a refund for the taxes.  Didn't make a lot of sense but I will take it.

My final call today is to AMA and the official cancellation of the cruise.

I see you are in Boston....stay healthy.

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

Good morning,  I called TAP yesterday (took a while to get through) and I have cancelled my flights. One of them was

a refundable ticket (to be honest they were both cheap) so If I had lost all of it,  I would not have felt a loss. One flight

was non-fundable but the CSR told me I would still get the taxes refunded....makes no sense but I will take it.

My final call today is to AMA and the official cancellation of the cruise.

I see you are in Boston....stay healthy.

Thank you. I don't if my ticket is refundable, where would I find that info?  Mine was 1000.00 😞. You too Lois, maybe see you down the road.

18 minutes ago, CUTTERSAM said:

Thank you. I don't if my ticket is refundable, where would I find that info?  Mine was 1000.00 😞. You too Lois, maybe see you down the road.

$1000.00?? yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!  My 2 flights were less than 250.00 total.   I would call TAP.....or you can check the website under "manage my reservation". 

59 minutes ago, CUTTERSAM said:

The bitter irony, it took me almost a year to get my Global Entry and the minute I got it all hell broke loose.

At least you still have it! My renewal got kicked back because of the administration's hissy fit against New York. 😖

11 minutes ago, RadioPeri said:

At least you still have it! My renewal got kicked back because of the administration's hissy fit against New York. 😖

Ouch...I saw that before this virus came to this point......is it Nov yet?

• Like 1

You guys are correct;  the travel ban states Europeans coming back to the US.  State Dept is recommending no overseas travel.  So that makes a bold statement about int'l travel

Well, I just cancelled my river cruise too...they refunded part of it back to my cc and the other part is being issued

as a FCC. It is going to be a long next couple  months:classic_wacko::classic_sad:

18 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Loris R;  were you on AMA river cruise or someone else?

Hi, yes, that is what I was on...I cancelled this morning.

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, yes, that is what I was on...I cancelled this morning.

Did you have trip insurance with AMA or purchase the cancel for any reason insurance?

AmaWaterways have posted in their loyalty Facebook group the following:

We would like to take this opportunity to inform you about the latest information regarding your upcoming river cruise with AmaWaterways. Your health and safety, and the wellbeing of our staff and crew, are of the utmost importance and we must be vigilant and responsible in ensuring your safety during these uncertain times. As a result of the recent travel restrictions, we are voluntarily suspending the operations of our European river cruise fleet and cancelling all of our Europe river cruises through April 25, 2020.

With this in mind, we want to assure you that your long-awaited travel plans will be protected. We are therefore providing two options for you.

•    1. Future Cruise Credit: We are offering you a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) equal to 115% of the value of your AmaWaterways purchased services, redeemable on any Europe or Mekong River sailing through December 31, 2022. 

•    2. Full Monetary Refund: If you prefer, you may elect to instead receive a full monetary refund on all services purchased through AmaWaterways.

Should you have any questions or concerns regarding your river cruise cancellation, FCC or refund, please contact your travel advisor as we are in direct communication with them regarding current developments on our policies. If you choose to contact us directly, please note we are experiencing a higher than normal call volume, as expected.

We are disappointed that we are unable to fulfill your journey at this time, but we are confident that our ships will make a successful return to the rivers soon and hope to welcome you aboard one of AmaWaterways’ many future sailings.