Celebrity Summit - February 29, 2020 and COVID-19

hvbaskey

3 hours ago, Briguy071 said:

Well I finally received a call from my Health unit unrelated to my calls to them. 
apparently they were contacting us because we were list on the Celebrity Summit manifest.  
So celebrity obviously handed over manifest 

Have you received any communication from Celebrity as of yet?

I got my call yesterday (from our regional health care office). I really don't know why they had to go through the emergency number I left as it's been over a week and I know that Celebrity have my home number. 

I'm also interested in the fact that all of the people responding that they've been called seem to be from Canada. 

1 minute ago, Briguy071 said:

that is pretty bad.  Totally irresponsible. Makes me sick 

“There are currently no issues of medical concern on the ship” ... maybe because they disembarked? 

1982680762_ScreenShot2020-03-17at3_45_50PM.thumb.png.cf5ef72c58c466c339c7339e1db92d76.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 2+2 said:

Mawtja, can you give a short explanation on what the test is like, and the process leading up to the test, such as did you go to the doctors office, hospital, or special area. Did you request to be tested, demand to be tested, or told to be tested.  I think your experience can be helpful to others. Thanks for being open about it.

I called my doctor's office and left a message with the nurse. He called me back. I told him I had been on the cruise, had some symptoms, cough, low-grade fever, scratchy throat. He said they would test me, as they had just receive the tests at their office. He gave me a time to come in the next day when no other patients would be there. It's a nasal swab. I was swabbed for flu, RSV and COVID 19. I also asked for a strep test. Flu, RSV and strep are all neg. It will be a 1-3 day wait for my COVID results. 

While I was in the doctor's office, maybe people were calling to get tested. They were telling them they needed to fit the criteria. One other person came in after me to be tested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mawtja said:

I called my doctor's office and left a message with the nurse. He called me back. I told him I had been on the cruise, had some symptoms, cough, low-grade fever, scratchy throat. He said they would test me, as they had just receive the tests at their office. He gave me a time to come in the next day when no other patients would be there. It's a nasal swab. I was swabbed for flu, RSV and COVID 19. I also asked for a strep test. Flu, RSV and strep are all neg. It will be a 1-3 day wait for my COVID results. 

While I was in the doctor's office, maybe people were calling to get tested. They were telling them they needed to fit the criteria. One other person came in after me to be tested.

I hope things come back negative for you and this is just the flu, or a cold. 
Just to keep you informed, Celebrity removed their statement from their website that I posted above. So, yes, the Summit did have cases . Celebrity still has not made any statement on it though. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, son3cruisers said:

I hope things come back negative for you and this is just the flu, or a cold. 
Just to keep you informed, Celebrity removed their statement from their website that I posted above. So, yes, the Summit did have cases . Celebrity still has not made any statement on it though. 

Celebrity has lost total credibility.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mawtja said:

Thank you so much for keeping us up to date.  I know you are helping others. The more knowledge we all have, the more we can understand what is going on. I am glad you were able to get tested. It sounds like you are in a good area with great health care.

• Like 2

Sharing from the Silhouette COVID thread:  information from the province of Quebec, Canada

Quebec is listing exposure dates to COVID and which ships:

0794FCD0-C29D-4EA3-A3C6-361D3DB20CA6.png

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2020 at 7:56 AM, Briguy071 said:

That is disgusting that the ship didn’t quarantine the passengers from the Feb 7th cruise. Puerto Rico knew about the positive cases being reported from the 28th sailing. Celebrity should have known or should have done more investigation before letting ppl off this ship. For those ppl who say it’s not their responsibility. They put all passengers on board plus passengers on their returning flights at risk. 

2 hours ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Celebrity knew a lot of things that they claimed they did not know.    This I know.  

This from their web page, means “nothing” to me right now ... I *used* to be a believer and now just sad 😞

1155990468_ScreenShot2020-03-19at5_47_16PM.thumb.png.ca6cd2c46bdf196ae713c7fe96be5e7a.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S86 said:
On 3/17/2020 at 7:56 AM, Briguy071 said:

That is disgusting that the ship didn’t quarantine the passengers from the Feb 7th cruise. Puerto Rico knew about the positive cases being reported from the 28th sailing. Celebrity should have known or should have done more investigation before letting ppl off this ship. For those ppl who say it’s not their responsibility. They put all passengers on board plus passengers on their returning flights at risk. 

Ship passengers, airline passengers, AND the small islands that the ships visited in the Caribbean.  Imagine the spread of COVID-19 in small villages and communities on the islands that we cherish.   Tragic, really.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hvbaskey said:

This from their web page, means “nothing” to me right now ... I *used* to be a believer and now just sad 😞

1155990468_ScreenShot2020-03-19at5_47_16PM.thumb.png.ca6cd2c46bdf196ae713c7fe96be5e7a.png

So that was posted on Thursday, March 12th, the night we cancelled. We were suppose to board the Summit on that Saturday. And now they are silent. 

• Like 1

This was in the Miami herald paper Saturday morning, March14th. 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241196966.html

I believe this is what Celebrity was referring to when they said  “ let us clear up rumours “, then deleted that post. 

On Saturday, Puerto Rican officials continued to step up their vigilance. They barred a Celebrity Summit cruise ship in the port of San Juan from disembarking because a Canadian passenger—already back home in his country—had tested positive for COVID-19. The death was announced today. 

The Celebrity Summit arrived in the port late Friday, before a cruise moratorium went into effect. While the ship can refuel and purchase food, passengers will not be allowed to disembark until it is clear that there are no new cases aboard the vessel, officials said. 

The Celebrity Summit’s dilemma is the latest in a series for the cruising industry, which faced “no sail” orders, sequestered ships, itinerary changes and bans amid the coronavirus outbreak. Friday, all cruises from U.S. ports were halted for 30 days; Saturday, Celebrity parent Royal Caribbean Ltd.extended the suspension worldwide.

Edited by son3cruisers

42 minutes ago, son3cruisers said:

This was in the Miami herald paper Saturday morning, March14th. 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241196966.html

I believe this is what Celebrity was referring to when they said  “ let us clear up rumours “, then deleted that post. 

On Saturday, Puerto Rican officials continued to step up their vigilance. They barred a Celebrity Summit cruise ship in the port of San Juan from disembarking because a Canadian passenger—already back home in his country—had tested positive for COVID-19. The death was announced today. 

The Celebrity Summit arrived in the port late Friday, before a cruise moratorium went into effect. While the ship can refuel and purchase food, passengers will not be allowed to disembark until it is clear that there are no new cases aboard the vessel, officials said. 

The Celebrity Summit’s dilemma is the latest in a series for the cruising industry, which faced “no sail” orders, sequestered ships, itinerary changes and bans amid the coronavirus outbreak. Friday, all cruises from U.S. ports were halted for 30 days; Saturday, Celebrity parent Royal Caribbean Ltd.extended the suspension worldwide.

Wow. Thanks for posting that as the plot thickens 

• Like 1

I have some concerns about that article as many inaccurate facts. The first case from the Summit in Canada was a lady in her 60s who is in self quarantine at her home. She did NOT die. The article mentions a man that has died. We had our second death in Ontario just yesterday March 18, 2020.

58 minutes ago, drega99 said:

I have some concerns about that article as many inaccurate facts. The first case from the Summit in Canada was a lady in her 60s who is in self quarantine at her home. She did NOT die. The article mentions a man that has died. We had our second death in Ontario just yesterday March 18, 2020.

Yes, agreed. Could the man in question be from another province? Possibly BC?  Ontario reported a woman from the Waterloo region on the Summit, then 2 other males as well. But there could have been many more throughout Canada. 

34 minutes ago, son3cruisers said:

Yes, agreed. Could the man in question be from another province? Possibly BC?  Ontario reported a woman from the Waterloo region on the Summit, then 2 other males as well. But there could have been many more throughout Canada. 

Somewhere deep in this thread, the spouse of one of the cases also tested positive.  There are at least 6 cases in ON from the Summit now (lost track) and a case from Prince Edward Island.   Honestly, lost track after a while when numerous cases were reported.

This is ONLY from the Region of Waterloo, there was another couple from Owen Sound, and I think some from Region of Peel?  also PEI as noted above.

852787318_ScreenShot2020-03-19at10_51_21PM.thumb.png.2cfebdcc25976bf30f44efec673ba141.png

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 1

The Miami news article states a man died prior to March 13 in Canada from the Summit which is why San Juan refused entry which is false. The only case at that point was still the one lady in Waterloo in her 60's. Yes, other cases came afterwards. I believe there are now 5 claiming to be from the Summit.

There were 5 “ cruise ship “ passengers in Hamilton that were reported as being positive a few days ago, without a ship being mentioned, but Hamilton Health has since changed their site to list the cases as “ travel” now, which covers a much broader  area. 
This is not at all how I would expect communication from Celebrity to play out. So many unanswered questions, and speculation and I feel like we are trying to “ piece” together the answers. I feel so bad for those of you that sailed and want truthful answers. I’m trying my best ( as others are too) to report what I find so you can draw your own conclusions, and research as well.
I feel just sick thinking that we would have boarded that ship with no knowledge of what we were getting into. 

I agree the article is poorly written as they were speaking about 2 different cases at the same time and mixing up info. I believe 2 things happened. Puerto Rico had their first death related to covid 19 and they also found out someone on the summit tested positive. 

9 hours ago, son3cruisers said:

I’m trying my best ( as others are too) to report what I find so you can draw your own conclusions, and research as well.

Ditto - with no information being released from the mother ship, only shared reports can assist others to make informed decisions (seek medical help, self-quarantine, etc.).