Iceland or Norway Cruises

tert333

Sure, they are both 14 days leaving from Southhampton.   Iceland cruise goes to Bergen, Skjolden, Olden, Alesund, Akureyri, Isafjordur, Grundarfjour, Reykjavik.

The Norway cruise goes to Bergen, Skjolden, Olden, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, Gravdal, Alesund, Haugesund.

When does the Norway only one go? If it’s June then you will have a couple of days when you have no sunset, which is really interesting.

If you aren’t likely to be able to do this type of cruise again then I would say do the Iceland and Norway one because both are amazing to see. In Iceland do the golden circle tour, the waterfalls and geysers combined with the beautiful Norwegian fjords makes for a great cruise.

Bergen has lovely markets old houses and a great view from the funicular. Olden is very pretty and it’s possible to do a gentle hike to see a glacier, you see both places on each cruise so that’s good.

If it was me and I could only pick one I’d do the Iceland and Norway one, the one we did was probably one of the best cruises we’ve had. 

Its 3am here so I don’t have much time to post but if you want to ask anything about any of the ports I’d be happy to reply to more, I’ve been to them all, some several times 😀

• Like 3

I did the 14 day Norway, Land of the Midnight Sun cruise leaving from Southampton in June last year. I loved the cruise and all the ports were great. My itinerary was Stavanger, Flam, Geiranger, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, Gravdal (Lofoten Islands), Alesund and Bergen. The scenery was beautiful, the towns pretty and seeing the midnight sun amazing. I would happily do the same itinerary again as there was so much to see and do. I did a review of my cruise.

• Like 2

We took a 14 day Norway fjords RT Southampton cruise in June 2016. It was one of the best itineraries we ever cruised. The ports were all very nice. Weather was mostly warm, except for the North Cape where it was colder and windy. Scenery was spectacular. In June 24 hours of daylight above the arctic circle, little less below.

Have only been to Iceland once and only to the capital. From what I have seen the ports in Norway appear to be much better.

Thanks for the feedback.  We would be going in August 2021 if going to Norway only, or June 2021 if doing the Iceland and Norway combination.  I have heard so many great things about Iceland, but would love to go North of Norway as well

We did the 14 day Norway and Iceland cruise last summer and loved it. It was one of our favorite trips. I felt there was enough opportunity to feel like we got to really see both places. 

On 3/13/2020 at 8:58 AM, skynight said:

We took a 14 day Norway fjords RT Southampton cruise in June 2016. It was one of the best itineraries we ever cruised. The ports were all very nice. Weather was mostly warm, except for the North Cape where it was colder and windy. Scenery was spectacular. In June 24 hours of daylight above the arctic circle, little less below.

Have only been to Iceland once and only to the capital. From what I have seen the ports in Norway appear to be much better.

That's very much a matter of opinion.

Where in Norway are geysers? Volcanoes? Lava fields?  Geothermal lagoons to swim in?  Huge waterfalls? 

Iceland is an amazing place to see.  Not Rejkavik the capital there is not much to see there at all.

• Like 1

We did both last June and would recommend Norway and Iceland . In Alesund we booked a guide to take us to Geiranger .

The 7 Sisters

IMG_4709_zpszttgkkyk.jpg

IMG_4735%203_zpscsqau868.jpg

In Iceland we saw the puffins fishing

IMG_5233%202_zpspta4wckn.jpg

Lunar landscapes

DSC08560%202_zps2obit93r.jpg

And a more diverse scenery

IMG_5794%202_zpsdq3xmsqq.jpg

IMG_6131%203_zps4cii8fxo.jpg

IMG_6404%202_zpsbczhevkb.jpg

I took a screen shot from the video to show the dome

geyser%202_zpskf83hmrc.png

If you would like , you can see our full review here :

• Like 2

On 3/12/2020 at 9:35 PM, tert333 said:

I am looking at a 14 day iceland/norway cruise or a 14 day Norway cruise that goes to Honningsvag.   Has anyone taken either/both?   Any feedback on preferences would be appreciated.

Thanks

We haven't done the cruises you're looking at, but have visited southern Norway (3 ports) and Iceland (3 ports) several times at the beginning of transatlantics.  I would definitely recommend the Norway-Iceland itinerary.  While we haven't cruised north of Flam, Norway, we did enjoy our several visits to southern Norway and loved Iceland with its varying landscapes as shown in scubacruiserx2's photos above.  Amazing waterfalls, lava landscapes, Yellowstone Park-like thermal landscapes, etc.