lahore

Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

@eamondzhang

First you need to decide if you are talking about FCD   Future cruise deposits

or FCC   Future cruise Credits.   They are handled differently by different

departments so if you are contacting Princess you need to get it right. 🙂

else it will only delay things further.

Edited by Aulanis

@Aulanis You're absolutely right lol - my bad, yes in this case it's FCCs. I got myself mixed up with the terminologies too as I also have FCDs on my account - sometimes I just wonder if I should just apply them onto my cancelled cruise (but that booking is still active!)

Cheers,

Michael

On 9/15/2020 at 3:38 PM, voljeep said:

just in time for the new Princess gift card offer !! 🍷 🥃 🍸

National Family Day is September 26. Celebrate by giving the gift of adventures ahead. This exclusive offer gives you a $50 bonus gift card to use through the end of next year — lots of time to plan a dream family vacation together! Princess gift cards can be used toward a cruise packed with family-friendly entertainment and activities, Discovery™️ shore excursions, onboard gifts and more. It's the perfect way to create lasting memories with the ones you love

Please be very cautious about retaining or buying gift cards.  If you spend an hour or so reviewing Princess' SEC filings you might come to the same conclusion I have.

The cash from Gift cards like prepayments and deposits on cruises go directly to the cash account at Carnival.  The cash is used for general corporate purposes, not your cruise.  An accounting entry is made that is reduced as your specific sailing progresses.  If it happens, your sailing will likely be paid for by deposits and payments on someone else's cruise.

Here's where this gets dicey.  Carnival Corporation has so highly leveraged that they have had to encumber *ALL* corporate assets to obtain the loans.  CCL has placed the new loans in a priority senior position such that (in my opinion) it is unlikely they will have any funds available for customers in the event of covenant non-compliance, loan defaults,  or bankruptcy.

In the meantime they are pushing to book cruises (deposits look much higher than in the past) and sell gift cards.   This cash amounts to FREE LOANS for Carnival Corporation.

Regular folks have lost money to corporate bankruptcies before and I suspect it could happen again, especially in the current world-wide environment.   If given the option, take that cash and run.

Sidebar: Carnival brags about their cash on hand, but don't discuss related liabilities except in SEC filings.  They also say bookings are going well compared to previous years, but don't discuss what percentage of the bookings have been made using Future Cruise Credits (NON-CASH).

Be cautious.  It's *your* money.

Edited by as400guy
Duplicate

Edited by as400guy
Delete

11 minutes ago, as400guy said:

They also say bookings are going well compared to previous years, but don't discuss what percentage of the bookings have been made using Future Cruise Credits (NON-CASH).

I just spoke with a TA I've known and trusted for many years, and they say that currently, about 50% of new bookings are putting down cash deposits instead of FCCs, with that number being lower earlier in the year when the FCCs were first issued.

On 9/11/2020 at 5:15 PM, CarelessAndConfused said:

Wow!  This is still going on.  Can someone just let me know the general sailing date ranges of what's still not refunded.  I mean are they still behind on the pause cancellation refunds from March and May?

FYI: March 7 cruise to MX out of Long Beach canx at 8pm while all pax still at terminal on departure day. Received automatic complete refund for 3 minis by March 21. They did it a cabin at a time, first taxes, then pre-paid excursions, then cabins. Submitted paperwork on March 8 for complimentary 1-night refund for hotel stay in Long Beach area while at an Anaheim-Disneyland area hotel. Received refund just one week ago, on 9/9/2020. 

Ok we finally received our FCCs after our cruise was cancelled 23 Jul 20. This is for cruise due to sail on 11 Oct 20.

Now I'm happy! Time to book a replacement one!

Michael

Our FCCs from a Pause 4 December cruise that was cancelled in July showed up yesterday.

Since Pause 4 cruisers had until August 31 to decide between FCCs or a refund, I did not expect Pause 4 processing to start until September 1. So it was less than three weeks after processing started for Pause 4 cancellations that our FCCs showed up.

But the cruise is still showing up in the Personalizer.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Our FCCs from a Pause 4 December cruise that was cancelled in July showed up yesterday.

Since Pause 4 cruisers had until August 31 to decide between FCCs or a refund, I did not expect Pause 4 processing to start until September 1. So it was less than three weeks after processing started for Pause 4 cancellations that our FCCs showed up.

But the cruise is still showing up in the Personalizer.

#ustoo ... now just have to get a $ 50 apiece "passenger relations" ( from NRD when first booked ) back into our account and not applied to our cancelled Thanksgiving cruise

I'll email our PVP later today to update status

good news, and the double deposit not paid in full worked out well for us, at least so far

Our phase 4 cancellation FCCs are in our accounts as well, dated 9/17. Book By 05/01/22 and Sail By 05/01/22.

All is well.

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Our phase 4 cancellation FCCs are in our accounts as well, dated 9/17. Book By 05/01/22 and Sail By 05/01/22.

All is well.

Our FCC has now been "automagically" applied to our future cruise booked for 4/2021 up to the amount of cruise fare, not deposit needed.

we just owe port fees, tax, and Princess travel insurance ... a little over $ 400 due mid-February 

let's hope it goes

We also got our FCC applied to our account yesterday for our cancelled Sky cruise of November 5th. 

our cancelled cruise ( 7/22 pause 4 ) is now off our Personalizer and a $ 50 each Passenger Relations credit is now in our cruise credit account, that credit expires 5/27/21 ( 1 year from when we went from a NRD to a new promotion with a refundable deposit

I guess we've already maxed out FCC up to cruise fare and it will remain in our account in some fashion, but at least we want it applied first , and increase our FCC that expires 5/2022

17 hours ago, voljeep said:

our cancelled cruise ( 7/22 pause 4 ) is now off our Personalizer and a $ 50 each Passenger Relations credit is now in our cruise credit account, that credit expires 5/27/21 ( 1 year from when we went from a NRD to a new promotion with a refundable deposit

I guess we've already maxed out FCC up to cruise fare and it will remain in our account in some fashion, but at least we want it applied first , and increase our FCC that expires 5/2022

Done - now just a matter of waiting to see if that ship (CB) actually sails - a price drop would be nice, as it would increase FCC for a potential cruise in 12/2021

also need to contact our PVP and notify her of no upgrades to a Mini, ( don't like the shower/tub combo ) but would 'deal with it' if upgraded to a club class mini or SUITE !!

stay safe

stay hydrated

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

Done - now just a matter of waiting to see if that ship (CB) actually sails - a price drop would be nice, as it would increase FCC for a potential cruise in 12/2021

also need to contact our PVP and notify her of no upgrades to a Mini, ( don't like the shower/tub combo ) but would 'deal with it' if upgraded to a club class mini or SUITE !!

stay safe

stay hydrated

We have to agree, we are in our 70's and that tub is an accident waiting to happen.  We always had a minisuite until we took a cruise with a fantastic itinerary, 64 days, Sydney to New York through the Suez Canal, lots of rough seas, which we enjoy.  Minisuites were sold out.  We took a balcony rather than nothing.  And haven't gone back to the minisuite.

56 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

We have to agree, we are in our 70's and that tub is an accident waiting to happen.  We always had a minisuite until we took a cruise with a fantastic itinerary, 64 days, Sydney to New York through the Suez Canal, lots of rough seas, which we enjoy.  Minisuites were sold out.  We took a balcony rather than nothing.  And haven't gone back to the minisuite.

I upgraded from a balcony to a mini-suite. Was the tub the only drawback?? 

After 6 months of going back and forth with Princess, we have finally resolved the FCC for the cruise that we were supposed to take on March 14.   There were two attempts by Princess to post the correct FCC(which was 225% of the base fare), but finally go it right!

While that were very nice through the whole process, I must admit I was starting to question the intent.   I guess it takes a little patience and continual checking with them.

39 minutes ago, tert333 said:

After 6 months of going back and forth with Princess, we have finally resolved the FCC for the cruise that we were supposed to take on March 14.   There were two attempts by Princess to post the correct FCC(which was 225% of the base fare), but finally go it right!

While that were very nice through the whole process, I must admit I was starting to question the intent.   I guess it takes a little patience and continual checking with them.

I think Princess was the only one that offered the 225% and I am so happy they did. Received a complete refund and a FCC of $1,904.00 I booked a 7 night for June 5, 2021 on the Caribbean Princess. My out of pocket was $225.00 basically the Port and Tax. What a deal!

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

I upgraded from a balcony to a mini-suite. Was the tub the only drawback?? 

No other drawbacks, you won't be disappointed.

Safety for us was number one!  But one other plus for us, is budget.  We found that after we were "forced" to downgrade, that we can get quite a few extra cruise days in a Premium Balcony instead of a Mini-suite.  We've gone for quantity over quality.  But this is an issue that has a different calculus for all of us.  (No need for any comments from anyone about the sacrifice.  I get the irony of having "only a balcony" while being able to cruise to places near and far).

On day 188 we finally received our 85% refund for a "Round Australia" cruise that was suspended in mid-March. We were a few days into it when Princess suspended all operations worldwide. Arrived back home in the U.S. on March 18, and just got our refund today (credit to the credit card we used to pay for it). Made many calls to Princess to no avail; finally got the email address for the head of customer relations (csteinke@princesscruises.com) from this forum and sent an email on 15 August. It took a little while, but it looks like the email I sent reached someone that could do something about it. Got a call from Kimberly on 4 September saying she had read the email and would be working on our refund. She called back on 16 September to say she had processed the refund and we would be receiving it in 7-10 business days. Showed up on our credit card today (22 September). Obviously we're extremely happy that it finally got resolved, but it didn't have to be this hard. Communications from Princess were extremely poor until Kimberly took charge; I think they could have avoided some of the backlash from customers if they had just been honest and kept us informed. Hope Princess executives have learned something from this ordeal; of course no one could have been completely prepared for a worldwide pandemic, but they sure didn't seem to adapt very well once it became obvious that this was going to be the new normal. We really want to cruise on Princess again when it is safe (especially since we have 85% FCCs from the terminated cruise that we'd like to use), but right now we're just not ready to get on a ship again.

So a bit of a long story, but maybe it will help others understand some of the process.

On 13 May we requested FCCs under Princess's "Double your Deposit" offer for our Canada and Greenland cruise cancelled by Princess in Phase III.  We chose this option as we had paid for a substantial part of the cruise early.

In late June, Princess erroneously refunded our deposit rather than process the FCCs.  I contacted Princess Customer Relations in early July when the refund showed up on my credit card, forwarding the email from Princess also dated 13 May documenting the request for FCCs.   I was told we would be contacted to repay the refund.

On 18 August, a member of Princess's Payment Team sent an email about repaying the money Princess erroneously refunded us.  I reached the person at Princess the next day (after a few attempts) but my travel companion could not reach her until 28 August, due to the odd hours Princess staff were working due to furloughs.

On 11 Sep I sent an email back the person in Payments asking for the status.  As others had noted, Princess had tied up one of my FCDs as a "holding account."  When I did not hear back from her, I sent an email on 16 Sep to Colin Steinke, Princess's Director of Customer Relations, using the email address kindly provided by others here on CruiseCritic:  csteinke@princesscruises.com. 

Two days later I received a call from the agent I'd first spoken to in Customer Relations back in July.  She noted a third, unidentified team--i.e., not Customer Relations and nor Payments--had the responsibility of creating the FCCs.  She promised to research further and keep in contact.

On 22 Sep, she called again to say the FCCs were hung up as my travel companion had not repaid the amount Princess had erroneously refunded her.  My travel companion supplied the date and the transaction number from her credit card from the payment on 28 August.  A few hours later, we received a call from the Payments Team explaining the repayment had somehow not been recorded in the correct location in Princess's system.  Shortly thereafter, we received an email that the FCCs had been created and applied to our CC accounts to the replacement cruise of the same itinerary in August 2021.  I verified this in my CC account.  I also had to send a follow-up email to Princess (addressed to both Princess staff who had contacted me) as they had not released my FCD tied up for a holding account, which appeared never to have been needed.  Finally, in applying the FCC, Princess also took off the FCD used for the initial booking--I had to call my TA to have this reapplied.  I also requested an updated invoice from the TA.  All amounts paid plus the FCCs had been applied and are the correct amounts.

For those keeping track, the whole process took about 130 days.  If we'd accepted the error of the refund, it would have been under 60 days.  It was definitely more complicated than it needed to be and took a lot of follow-up and intervention on my part.  But, done and looking forward to a wonderful cruise next August!

Coming up on SEVEN month mark soon from date of cancellation & it looks like Princess is FINALLY going to try to make me "WHOLE" again for my cancelled May cruise to Mexico... I was finally able to get in touch with someone in the Exec. Office who was very nice and is working on the remaining difference between the amount paid versus what I got back from the credit card dispute.  I do appreciate it. That said, we will NOT be sailing again on Princess, not planning another cruise for quite some time until all the madness is behind us & we see how the world recovers.  Good luck to all & stay safe folks

On 10/1/2020 at 11:50 AM, Dee4990 said:

Coming up on SEVEN month mark soon from date of cancellation & it looks like Princess is FINALLY going to try to make me "WHOLE" again for my cancelled May cruise to Mexico... I was finally able to get in touch with someone in the Exec. Office who was very nice and is working on the remaining difference between the amount paid versus what I got back from the credit card dispute.  I do appreciate it. That said, we will NOT be sailing again on Princess, not planning another cruise for quite some time until all the madness is behind us & we see how the world recovers.  Good luck to all & stay safe folks

Oh my ...that really took them a long time.  We had five cruises canceled so far and they were all reimbursed quite some time ago, even the one for December.  

I'm ready to go again as soon as they are allowed to sail but, I totally understand there are those that would rather wait.  

On 10/1/2020 at 12:50 PM, Dee4990 said:

We are close to 7 Mo. mark, cancelled mid-May trip on March 19th.  Got partial refund after 6 Mo.  still waiting for our FCDs.

Called Princess monthly got typical answers, either "talk to your TA", or "you will get refund, just do not know when", only one Princess Rep was very helpful, he sent a note to management team to review, that's how we got our partial refunds.   But still not the whole refund. Costco did not help at all, would not book with them again. I remove all the promotion emails from Princess, not interested deal with them for a while, but they still owe us money, so we may have to travel with them once just to get our money back.  I wonder how many cruisers will give up on Princess for the poor customer services.

How and who did you contact the Exec. office?  

We called customer relation once 3 months ago, she was rude and not helping at all, just said talk to you TA.  So we are still waiting for the remaining refunds.