The clock is ticking on our March 21 deadline

MudderBear

59 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

But my issue is this.........I have a deadline to make the decision, which is March 21.  I have NOT, and I repeat NOT, been advised that the decision date has been moved further down the road.

No Cruise ships are allowed into or allowed to depart from Canada until July 1.

There are no alternate ports available that comply with law unless they fly you in an out of the US and sail to  Mexico or Russia. The cruise lines will be cancelling their sailings.

At that point the cancellation terms change to they have to refund you 100%.

3 minutes ago, Reagan0712 said:

I wonder how they decided who got emails. I’m on a Land/Sea starting May 14 with cruise portion starting May 17. Haven’t gotten anything.  Is it possible it went to TA?

We are booked for May 3-10 and have not received anything yet. No worries. HAL is pretty busy with tens of thousands of bookings ahead of us in the queue.

4 minutes ago, Reagan0712 said:

I wonder how they decided who got emails. I’m on a Land/Sea starting May 14 with cruise portion starting May 17. Haven’t gotten anything.  Is it possible it went to TA?

No one is getting emails about Alaska since last week, we are reading the HAL blog, HAL twitter and HAL FB page.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

No one is getting emails about Alaska since last week, we are reading the HAL blog, HAL twitter and HAL FB page.

I don't see the HAL blog, HAL twitter, and HAL Facebook page as communication preference options in My Personal Information section of the HAL online account.

While they may be useful general supplements to communication from HAL, they shouldn't be relied on as communication by HAL.

33 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

I don't see the HAL blog, HAL twitter, and HAL Facebook page as communication preference options in My Personal Information section of the HAL online account.

While they may be useful general supplements to communication from HAL, they shouldn't be relied on as communication by HAL.

These are abnormal times and they are making public announcements instead of contacting every customer. I choose to believe public announcements on HAL owned pages and sites as valid official communication. and lastly I believe that the section of the contract that call for 100% cash refunded if they cancel the contract to take precedence over if I try to cancel.

I chose to believe that Canada will not let me sail on May 18th. I choose to believe that HAL won't go to Mexico, Russia or ask congress for an exemption so they can sail from Seattle instead of Vancouver to Alaska and waive the PSVA. I guess they could embark from Juneau, Sitka or Anchorage, if they can find a foreign port to sail to that isn't 5 days away for a 14 day cruise or ask for a waiver from congress.

My absolute worse case is I choose to believe the change to the current cancellation policy posted on a HAL site supersedes my current cancel contract provisions and the email I recieved and that I have 48 hours prior to sailing to cancel and get a 100% FCC as a worse case scenario because the posted policy says it supersedes the prior notice and policy.

Alan

If your are leaning towards a FCC for a covid19 cruise cancellation the most important thing is to read and understand the information from HAL below. After reading it and seeing all the exclusions listed we opted for the cash refund. Carefully consider the choices below before you make a decision on choosing "Door #1" or Door #2 of the offer. They conveniently included the below information at the very bottom of the cancellation email.

Future Cruise Credit (FCC) Terms & Conditions

The value of this credit may be applied to the cruise fare only of a new cruise or Land+Sea Journey reservation with Holland America Line, and it is combinable with any other applicable discount. While the credit is valid until December 31, 2021, please note that it needs only to be applied to the new booking by that time; the cruise does not need to depart within this timeframe. Although you may choose any stateroom category, this offer is dependent upon space availability and cannot be transferred, refunded, or used as a deposit. This credit may not be used for onboard expenses, pre- and post-cruise packages, shore excursions, taxes, Cancellation Protection Plans, Home City Air, Hotel Service Charges, or other optional programs or services. We ask that you or your travel professional verify this offer with our Reservation Agent at the time your new reservation is placed. For your convenience, the credit is built in direct association with Mariner Society numbers so it will automatically be credited toward the cruise fare of the next Holland America Line sailing booked.

If HAL cancels May-July Alaska voyages, its 100% cash refund or FCC. When I called, I was told if I cancel before March 21th,  cancellation penalty of $350 is FCC and rest as cash refund.  However, HAL has not made any announcement on May-July Alaska Cruises.  So, as of now this is what they are offering to me.  I suggest call/chat very early otherwise expect very very long wait time.

Janet

Edited by Janet76
spelling

47 minutes ago, billbunger said:

this offer is dependent upon space availability and cannot be transferred, refunded, or used as a deposit. This credit may not be used for onboard expenses, pre- and post-cruise packages, shore excursions, taxes, Cancellation Protection Plans, Home City Air, Hotel Service Charges, or other optional programs or services.

I think transferred means you can't give to another party.

I would hope refunded means you can't turn it in for a refund if you change your mind but a good question to ask would be if I choose a FCC and the cruise is cancelled by HAL will I receive another FCC?

I find it odd that you can't use it as a deposit unless the current deposit is being returned separately.

Pre and post cruise packages and shore excursions are refunded to the credit card, taxes are refunded.

I get why I can't be used on shore excursions as most of those are 3rd party vendors.

I imagine that it can't be used on insurance as that is also a 3rd party vendor and profit center they want to keep.

So if there is left over FCC can you use the remainder on another cruise later and wil you be able to use it in the future?

Lots to take into consideration before deciding. If we choose refund to CC the amount will be sitting on a CC for 30-90 days before they send you a check if you don't use the credit.

I wonder what happens to my cash back card that goes negative this year.

Don't know what this 21 march deadline is all about.  Just contacted them (took one minute) and I have till 31 March to cancel or not on my 18 and 25 April cruises out of San Diego to Mexico and then to Vancouver.  Policy quoted does not apply as I booked it before the announcement shown date and is only valid on recently booked cruises

She has no idea where this cruise will go as most ports have been closed but said they are working on that.  Would like to get 125% cruise credit but if nothing offered feel I must cancel on 31.

when something like that happens the best piece of advice would be just call the office. I might sound annoying but I always give them a call. If I need to clarify things I keep ringing their phone till they give me the answer I want. Waiting for an email or the news isnt a good idea at all. Trust me, next time you will lose the cruise and money and you will be the only person to blame. Take care people 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, timbom said:

Don't know what this 21 march deadline is all about.  Just contacted them (took one minute) and I have till 31 March to cancel or not on my 18 and 25 April cruises out of San Diego to Mexico and then to Vancouver.  Policy quoted does not apply as I booked it before the announcement shown date and is only valid on recently booked cruises

She has no idea where this cruise will go as most ports have been closed but said they are working on that.  Would like to get 125% cruise credit but if nothing offered feel I must cancel on 31.

I would guess the 3-21 date is from the original booking when it goes from lose deposit to lose 50%, and that the deposit was $350 but that's just a guess. My booking (May 18 sailing)  was March 15th for that decision but I didn't cancel of all the previously stated reasons, I would have lost $25 (deposit)

image.png.74f415a0db73109e5072c7752094da4a.png

Alan

Edited by AlanF65

I sent an email to HAL requesting clarification on the deadline for cancelling a cruise. Here is the response:

Thank you for your recent correspondance with Holland America Line. We have increased the date applicable to cancel under our short term cancel policy, we are now allowing sailings up to July 31st to cancel and have a Future Cruise Credit issued equal to the cancel fees. You are welcome to cancel your reservation up to 48 hours prior to the start of your cruise vacation with us. I hope you find this information helpful, please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance or visit us online.

• Thanks 1