Is Oceania for us?

chromered7

We just spent 22 days on Viking Sea. They are in the premium class along with Oceania. We have been on many O cruises. 
IMHO Viking has the best staff we have ever cruised with. Their onboard experience is exceptional. However, their cuisine is not even in the same league with O. 
Just food for thought when considering cruising in this class.

This question -- as I've said before -- is unanswerable.  I know you want ideas that might help you make a decision about one line or another.  But unless we know you personally -- and even then it could be questionable -- we can't answer the question completely.

Howard and I loved Oceania even before it was Oceania -- when it was Renaissance.  We've occasionally sailed on other lines and while we  have never had a horrible cruise, Oceania has remained our favorite.

That doesn't mean it will be yours!

And these days, I don't know that I'd be booking anything anyway.  Until the world turns right side up, it can be very risky to make a deposit ...

By the way (off-topic, please forgive me) in looking at the current AARP Magazine articles, there was a talk of small boat experiences in the U.S.  I was very tempted by a couple of northeastern U.S. cruises.  Up the Hudson River, ending in -- I forget, I think New Hampshire.  Or maybe Rhode Island. 

If you're curious about these, email me (see below my signature for how to do so) -- I still have the magazine and can give more details.  The Hudson River cruise is only in October so you get the autumn foliage -- if we still have an autumn.  There was another that interested me but at the moment I forget exactly where it goes.  Both of these were FAR cheaper than an ocean cruise so I assume we are talking much smaller ships.  Well, these *are* river cruises ...

Mura

P.S. In lookiing back at earlier comments I see I was repeating myself ... but I'm leaving this here because I did go into somewhat more detail.

The one thing I don't want someone to do is book a cruise (on any line) because fans convince you is the bee's knees.  You might not think so ...

Edited by Mura

2 minutes ago, Mura said:

By the way (off-topic, please forgive me) in looking at the current AARP Magazine articles, there was a talk of small boat experiences in the U.S.  I was very tempted by a couple of northeastern U.S. cruises.  Up the Hudson River, ending in -- I forget, I think New Hampshire.  Or maybe Rhode Island. 

I've seen Hudson river cruises on American cruise lines RT from NYC - not the ones you mention.

What cruise line was that?

BTW, that Hudson river cruise is more expensive than an average ocean cruise 🙂

• Like 1

Paul, since we are friends I went to get the article!  This is from the February 2020 issue of AARP.

The Hudson River cruise is with Blount Small Ship Adventures.  Have  you heard of them?  I hadn't.  This is an 8 day fall foliage trip that starts at $4500 pp, round trip from NYC, mostly all inclusive.  (I'm quoting here.)

According to the article BSSA also does a 9 day foliage trip starting at $2455, not including extras like gratuities and port fees. It does the Hudson River, Long Island Sound and disembarks in Warren, RI.

They say that onboard they have historian talks. Their website:  https://*****.com/weldrmt

My experience has been that CC doesn't allow complete tiny urls so in that case I'd suggest just googling Blount Small Ship Adventures.

Back to the regular program!

Mura

1 hour ago, Mura said:

Paul, since we are friends I went to get the article!  This is from the February 2020 issue of AARP.

The Hudson River cruise is with Blount Small Ship Adventures.  Have  you heard of them?  I hadn't.  This is an 8 day fall foliage trip that starts at $4500 pp, round trip from NYC, mostly all inclusive.  (I'm quoting here.)

We sailed with them back in 2006  when it was called ACCL

It is like camping on the water 

The food was homestyle & very good 

that is all I can say  about it

https://lht28.smugmug.com/Grande-Caribe-2006/

If you want something closer to home try American Queen

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

We sailed with them back in 2006  when it was called ACCL

It is like camping on the water 

The food was homestyle & very good 

that is all I can say  about it

https://lht28.smugmug.com/Grande-Caribe-2006/