Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

I hope all UK cruisers are safe with little or no damage today with Storm Isha. 

We flew back from Lanzarote last night and big shout out to the Jet2 pilot - obviously many years of experience who came into the cabin and spoke pre landing. Very reassuring because that was the worst landing I’ve ever had. I was sure we would tip over - the cabin was eerily silent for about 30 seconds of the taxi in as everyone processed what they’d just experienced. 

I was the driver home - let’s say that was “interesting”. 

Today we find part of our roof slates did an Elvis in the night - explains some of the crashes as they left the building. But no one is hurt and compared to others we’ve been extremely lucky 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

We flew back from Lanzarote last night and big shout out to the Jet2 pilot - obviously many years of experience who came into the cabin and spoke pre landing. Very reassuring because that was the worst landing I’ve ever had. I was sure we would tip over - the cabin was eerily silent for about 30 seconds of the taxi in as everyone processed what they’d just experienced. 

Today we find part of our roof slates did an Elvis in the night - explains some of the crashes as they left the building. But no one is hurt and compared to others we’ve been extremely lucky 

Sounds terrifying! Glad you are safe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

In the distant past, I can remember flyers applauding when the plane touched down. 
Sounds like that pilot earned a standing ovation! Of course, once the signal to unbuckle seat belts was given.

Glad you are safe and hope the same for everyone else in the British Isles. I heard of one plane headed from London to Dublin that ended up landing in Paris.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Visiting from UK, we played at Mossel Bay SA Golf Club today and was delighted to see Pursuit leaving there en route to Cape Town.  Slightly choppy seas after 2 days of stormy weather.  Looking forward to our Springtime Wonders voyage on her in June.

• 1 month later...

I live in Burlington, Vermont, which is in the path of the total solar eclipse on April 8. Our state of around 600,000 people is expecting to be invaded by 100,000-200,000 people over the next few days. 50,000-75,000 are expected to come to my city of 40,000. 😬

Many of them will be trying to travel home immediately following the event. Should be interesting!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I live in Burlington, Vermont, which is in the path of the total solar eclipse on April 8. Our state of around 600,000 people is expecting to be invaded by 100,000-200,000 people over the next few days. 50,000-75,000 are expected to come to my city of 40,000. 😬

Many of them will be trying to travel home immediately following the event. Should be interesting!

In Cleveland-in the path of the eclipse and women’s final 4 basketball here this weekend! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Wow - double whammy!!

And I forgot that the Guardians home opener is Monday also! Glad I’m retired and no longer working downtown!

• Like 2

On 4/5/2024 at 8:48 AM, Mackdogmolly said:

You are having a remarkable several months. A cruise to the Antarctic (thanks for the updates) and now in direct line for a rare celestial event.

Unfortunately the biggest negative at this time surely is the rather poor harvest of a product I know is important to you in the spring. Don’t know what it’s like in Vermont, but Québec’s maple syrup strategic reserve is virtually depleted and there was poor production here in Southern Ontario.

I am making no direct connections to your cruise, but hope you stay home next year to improve production of this essential product. Otherwise, hopes that real maple syrup be provided on Azamara may founder as prices escalate. 😢

49 minutes ago, nordski said:

You are having a remarkable several months. A cruise to the Antarctic (thanks for the updates) and now in direct line for a rare celestial event.

Unfortunately the biggest negative at this time surely is the rather poor harvest of a product I know is important to you in the spring. Don’t know what it’s like in Vermont, but Québec’s maple syrup strategic reserve is virtually depleted and there was poor production here in Southern Ontario.

I am making no direct connections to your cruise, but hope you stay home next year to improve production of this essential product. Otherwise, hopes that real maple syrup be provided on Azamara may founder as prices escalate. 😢

I haven’t heard the final stats for this year’s maple harvest, but last year’s was down from the year before. We will continue to bring our own when we sail 😊

On 4/5/2024 at 8:48 AM, Mackdogmolly said:

Concerning the eclipse, the mayor of the somewhat nearby city of Niagara Falls, also in the path of totality, has declared a state of emergency for Monday in anticipation of hordes of visitors.

Not everyone is happy about that and a concerned group has filed a lawsuit to rescind the order. The owners of tourist shops will be looking for a bonanza. I will be looking for a comfortable chair in front of the TV,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nordski said:

Concerning the eclipse, the mayor of the somewhat nearby city of Niagara Falls, also in the path of totality, has declared a state of emergency for Monday in anticipation of hordes of visitors.

Not everyone is happy about that and a concerned group has filed a lawsuit to rescind the order. The owners of tourist shops will be looking for a bonanza. I will be looking for a comfortable chair in front of the TV,

We will be watching from our backyard! No state of emergency here, but the city is closing most of the major streets for most of the day, so good luck getting in or out!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 808hulalullaby said:

Japan 3/19 - 4/3/24

Enjoyed “Field Day Maple Syrup” with our fresh cooked waffles in Windows every morning! 

I wonder what THAT is! Never seen the real stuff onboard, except in the tiny containers for room service