Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

Our crossing on the QM2 last week was absolutely fabulous and very enjoyable. 

The weather was not great but who cares when you are onboard such a beautiful ship. 

The food was fantastic and we met many lovely people from all walks of life. 

We particularly enjoyed the excellent music when in the chart room for a refreshment or two, and the insight talks I attended about Concorde were absolutely fascinating. 

Today we went to the 9-11 memorial and museum which has been beautifully done and very poignant. 

Tomorrow, it’s a possible visit to Central Park then back to the U.K on Monday night. 

It’s very hot here in New York.

• Like 7

On 7/26/2023 at 6:58 PM, NE John said:

Enjoying a wonderful sunset cruise of lighthouses on the Long Island Sound. 
More maritime geekiness!

IMG_3542.jpeg

IMG_3530.jpeg

IMG_3525.jpeg

John that looks like a fun way to spend the day, and get away from the heat on land. Well done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update: This is “little Miss Sleepy head”  a short while later, enjoying the fresh air, lush grass and the scenery. Tough life but someone’s got to do it !  Lol.

IMG_0783.jpeg

Edited by ronpes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

At least she's got sun, today has been a wash-out here !

Oh dear, sorry to hear that.

Although thundery showers are forecast here as well. 
Although the sun is always nice, we need the rain for the grass and crops. 
Always a tough balancing act !

• Like 1

Back to our regular programming...

We've had a beaver problem this summer.  A family of beavers lives in a marsh that drains through a culvert under our driveway, and starting in June they dammed the culvert nearly every day for over a month.  Trapping is only a temporary solution (also, ugh), and we wanted something permanent.  So we hired a guy to build a flow device, AKA a beaver deceiver, that would protect the entrance to the culvert.  Here is a picture of the architect and his masterpiece:

image.thumb.jpeg.456ed5b4a76353ba02a77d7e9a50c354.jpeg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think it is lovely.

• Like 3

Our estimable Host Hattie has removed a rude comment from someone trolling the board, and thank goodness for that.  My comment about returning to regular programming followed that post, and was most definitely not in response to our regular gang.

19 minutes ago, alc13 said:

Our estimable Host Hattie has removed a rude comment from someone trolling the board, and thank goodness for that.  My comment about returning to regular programming followed that post, and was most definitely not in response to our regular gang.

I saw that. Well done Hattie.

BTW, its absolutely lashing rain here today, What a change. Oh well...

4 hours ago, ronpes said:

I saw that. Well done Hattie.

BTW, its absolutely lashing rain here today, What a change. Oh well...

Speaking of UK weather, I am still in amazement with the 11 sunny and 80+ degree days we had driving around England and Wales before our June 23 TA to go back home. I got more sun while in the UK than we we did on a trip to Cancun! 
Thank you British weather!!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Millieloulou said:

What an exciting day watching the cricket.Probably some of the best cricket England has played.Did not move from the settee.Will talk about it for days to come.

We don’t have Sky, thank goodness. I would have expired from stress sometime during the afternoon if I had been watching it.

Just wanted to say that I’ve only been on the Cunard board a short while since our first booking last month. Finding the board very friendly and welcoming. I’m picking up a lot of helpful info for our first Cunard cruise on Queen Anne to the Canaries next May. The board seems a lot less confrontational than most boards I’m on, and appreciate Host Hattie for such a friendly safe place to be. 
I’m currently enjoying our garden despite the variable weather and am using it to relax in while counting down to our first Cunard foray. 

IMG_6038.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Lanky Lad said:

According to the news Preston which is about 15 miles from here, got 303% of the normal rainfall in July. I have discovered that my waterproof jacket isn't as advertised. 

L.L. Could you kindly send some of that English Liquid Sunshine my way. August started out 103F 39.5C with no rain in sight. I reluctantly upped the every other nightly watering of my lawn to 140% of normal or 14 minutes vs 10. There are 19 'trains" (lines of sprinklers) on the system 9 front, 10 back, so the water should help, but the water bill will be approaching the National Debt. When we get some rain, I can cut back, but nothing in the 10 day forecast. I would even take a small hurricane right now. 

22 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

L.L. Could you kindly send some of that English Liquid Sunshine my way. August started out 103F 39.5C with no rain in sight. I reluctantly upped the every other nightly watering of my lawn to 140% of normal or 14 minutes vs 10. There are 19 'trains" (lines of sprinklers) on the system 9 front, 10 back, so the water should help, but the water bill will be approaching the National Debt. When we get some rain, I can cut back, but nothing in the 10 day forecast. I would even take a small hurricane right now. 

If I could send the clouds your way I would, happy. Hope you get some much needed rain soon.  

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 7:53 PM, Lanky Lad said:

It was dry here until about 5pm but raining hard now. 

I have given into temptation and started to plan my packing for QV in September. 

I started last week...and am boarding a week after you!!! but you are spot on on the word...temptation it is! 

Weather here has been a disaster, crazy with 4 seasons in one day... we had visitors, then I got very unwell with my hands (have some nerve conductivity issues in my elbows apart from carpal tunnel, surgeons ordered to stay away from the computer as much as possible for at least two weeks so my daughter has been scrolling and reading for me, getting excited about our QV trip, we keep gathering info from all posts, and starting to think very seriously about doing TA next year 🙂