Viking Venus - What is the status of her build?

mkerner

Deec......true enough!! Same might be said for planes, airport terminals, shopping malls, theaters, sports arenas, etc. although some of the larger areas associated with many places are manageable - to some extent - for people to keep spread apart, but the ship is only so wide and so long. I can't imagine how all this is going to play out yet, which is why I guess I'm trying to convince myself that I might actually be ready for a B2B cruise let alone sightseeing in one of the world's major tourist destinations in only 7 months from now - but somehow deep down am starting to think I probably won't be. The thing is, with social distancing / masking, etc. I don't question so much that it can be done - even in tighter spaces (like a ship?) but my faith that enough people will do it is frequently in doubt. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

There is 7 months between float out and the Venus’s maiden voyage.  The Sky took 11 months.  The Jupiter, most recent ship, took 8.75 months.  Unless there is more “learning curve” to go down, the date for Venus’s maiden voyage is questionable, but not impossible.

Indeed, and yet if they change the inaugural sailing date, they will also need to change a good deal more since the Venus is scheduled to start the Northern Lights cruises as soon as the Iberian Explorer ends. The thought has come up that they might use a different ship for the inaugural - but then of course it's not really an inaugural. In short...who knows??!!! I'm sure the Sky guests who were invited on this 'chairman's cruise' will be notified if and when something goes sideways. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

44 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Indeed, and yet if they change the inaugural sailing date, they will also need to change a good deal more since the Venus is scheduled to start the Northern Lights cruises as soon as the Iberian Explorer ends. The thought has come up that they might use a different ship for the inaugural - but then of course it's not really an inaugural. In short...who knows??!!! I'm sure the Sky guests who were invited on this 'chairman's cruise' will be notified if and when something goes sideways. 

Considering that they still have to get the ship from Venice to London., it seems more likely that, if it is necessary, there will be a change of date for the inaugural and Iberian Explorer and that a number of the Northern Lights will be cancelled outright.

35 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Considering that they still have to get the ship from Venice to London., it seems more likely that, if it is necessary, there will be a change of date for the inaugural and Iberian Explorer and that a number of the Northern Lights will be cancelled outright.

Venice??  Don't you mean Rome - or Barcelona?  Venus is not scheduled for Venice at any point. https://crew-center.com/viking-venus-itinerary  or are you referring to getting the ship to Rome for the Chairman's cruise?  By the way, how does she get there from Ancona?  Sail all the way around the boot? 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Sorry for the confusion.  In the past, new ships have gone from Ancona to Venice and their first sailing has been from there, usually with invited guests.  Wherever Venus is starting from exactly, she still has to get from Ancona to London and it is most likely, based on prior history, that she will not sail there empty. 

Well, as planned anyway, Venus will sail with the invited Sky guests from Rome. How she winds up getting there I haven't a clue. Then, the Iberian Explorer cruise gets her from Barcelona to London - unless ALL this changes. You already referred to all this in a previous post, so I suspect you're just referring to the ship having to get to London as a general sort of statement - regardless of what Viking has to do to alter schedules. Right now, they likely have no idea how it'll all work out. It would suit me fine for everything to be pushed off till later anyway. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Sorry for the confusion.  In the past, new ships have gone from Ancona to Venice and their first sailing has been from there, usually with invited guests.  Wherever Venus is starting from exactly, she still has to get from Ancona to London and it is most likely, based on prior history, that she will not sail there empty. 

Not all ships began in Venice.  The Jupiter last spring began in Athens.  (Where the unfortunate but thankfully minor dock collision incident occurred).  She had been taken from Ancona to Athens on a non-official cruise with passengers being Viking officials, families, guests, etc.    In Athens the first official voyage began with paying customers.

My guess is that the ship would just go directly from Ancona to Rome, perhaps again with Viking officials, employees, guests, and more.  Since Ancona is on the Adriatic up near San Marino, this would make a nice unofficial "Cruise" around the boot and up to Civitavecchia (Rome).     Hoping it all goes as scheduled for you all!

3 hours ago, Haworth said:

We are keeping an open mind, what will be will be.

I hope that it does not drift into April/May as we have other plans

I'd gladly let it drift into spring and push off other trips that we have planned. It could push into January 2022 even for my part. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

• 2 months later...

Hi WWT....have been talking to my Viking agent quite a bit of late due to taking care of the airfare, insurance, etc. for the Chairman's and Iberian cruise - so I did inquire about this. For what it's worth, he said all indications are that it is on schedule and could be ready to sail by January; however, that's just one agent speaking. Even if it's ready to go by then...who knows whether that early a trip will actually go.  

We will see.  I’ve plunked my final payment down for the Feb 2-26 butterfly cruise (London-London) Closely watching MSC for their success or failure in dealing with COVID.  I’m counting on 100% rapid screening and moving bubbles.

3 hours ago, What was that? said:

Has anyone heard an update on Venus?

The next thing we will hear about the status of her build is that she has been handed over to Viking. Viking does not tend to give out much information about each build -- keel laying, floating out, anything ceremonial. If things are running late, we are more apt to hear reports that cruises are being cancelled than an announcement from Viking that the handover hasbeen delayed.

If you follow Cruisemapper, you will know that she has been handed over when the Flag State has been added to the stats and it says Norway.

image.png.bcb5f0b125f0baa4995db4a2cad9393a.png

27 minutes ago, deec said:

what are moving bubbles?  we stay in a bubble and move about???? can my husband be in my bubble?  hope it is comfortable!!!

MSC pax were told that they must stay with their tour group and could not wander off on their own. One family wander off and were not permitted to re-board the ship. An expensive lesson in following rules.

For more details and the full story see this thread:

Edited by Peregrina651

I was just looking at an article on Cruise Critic which listed ships that will debut in 2020 and beyond.  Then there was a separate listing for luxury cruise ships and the first listed was Viking Venus and it showed the date of March 2021 for its launch.  First time I’ve seen that date listed.  Many questions about the validity of that info.  We are scheduled to sail on April 5, 2021. Has anybody else seen anything.  I thought the previous inaugural sailing was scheduled for Jan 19, 2021. I’m not at all surprised but just looking for additional verification.  I hesitate to contact Viking as I know how fluid this situation is. 

2 hours ago, rayandjean said:

I was just looking at an article on Cruise Critic which listed ships that will debut in 2020 and beyond.  Then there was a separate listing for luxury cruise ships and the first listed was Viking Venus and it showed the date of March 2021 for its launch.  First time I’ve seen that date listed.  Many questions about the validity of that info.  We are scheduled to sail on April 5, 2021. Has anybody else seen anything.  I thought the previous inaugural sailing was scheduled for Jan 19, 2021. I’m not at all surprised but just looking for additional verification.  I hesitate to contact Viking as I know how fluid this situation is. 

I believe the article you were reading was dated January 2020.  I’m not sure why that article would say March 2021 for launch.  Viking still says inaugural cruise in January 2021.  I’m booked on the first 2 cruises in February 2021.  I personally think January 2021 is a long shot.  The hope is, since so many ship builds have been delayed, Fincantieri Ancona has the staff to finish Venus on time.  I’ve got ES2 cabins riding on this. I’m rooting for the Italians.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2020 at 5:13 AM, Peregrina651 said:

The next thing we will hear about the status of her build is that she has been handed over to Viking. Viking does not tend to give out much information about each build -- keel laying, floating out, anything ceremonial. If things are running late, we are more apt to hear reports that cruises are being cancelled than an announcement from Viking that the handover hasbeen delayed.

If you follow Cruisemapper, you will know that she has been handed over when the Flag State has been added to the stats and it says Norway.

image.png.bcb5f0b125f0baa4995db4a2cad9393a.png

Useful site. I do wonder why my cruise on Sept 6 , 2021 is one of only 3 with no "prices from" listed ?