cruise cancellations

ser1was

We are booked on The Star for a May 3rd departure from Southampton.  I don’t think there is a chance that cruise will happen.  I’m pretty sure every country on the itinerary is locked down. It appears NCL is just playing “chicken” with everyone hoping they”ll cancel first. I’ve already canceled a couple thousand worth of shore excursions but am holding out for the cruise itself. I’d rather have the money in my account earning interest than in NCL’s. 

I'll bet the main reason for delaying cancellations is this. Every day they delay is another day they have your $$$ interest free. As soon as they cancel, they have to send cash to those preferring that over FCC. Simple.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, krittykat said:

Actually Celebrity has also extended suspension into mid May and Disney extended from end of March to April 12. Disney announced that both parks are closed until further notice so you can expect extension of cruise suspension. Carnival is supposed to address extension on Monday and I heard that NCL will likely be addressing the 4/12 cruises the same day.

Since Royal owns Celebrity I didn’t mention them specifically but yes they did extend.  

7 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

They are putting off cancelling cruises until the last minute, hoping YOU will cancel first. If you cancel, they don't have to refund your money. If they cancel, they do.

Yep, pretty obvious. They’re just delaying the inevitable and most people have caught on to their tactic at this point. They’ll cancel like a week before the 12th and then get hit with a flood of refund requests.

4 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

They are putting off cancelling cruises until the last minute, hoping YOU will cancel first. If you cancel, they don't have to refund your money. If they cancel, they do.

I sincerely hope that NCL does not go under then there will be no refunds to hope for. They would most likely file for Chapter 11.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mips said:

Where did you see that?  There’s rumors that the Bliss crew was all sent home too, but I can not see that anywhere either.

It was something a fellow cruiser on the 4/12 sailing was told by an NCL employee.

Who else is cynical enough to be thinking that the lawyers are looking at this and they will use our cruises and threats of not cancelling as leverage to get the govt to include them. The last month of cancellations came after they were told they would be helped.

I just got an email from Norwegian asking me if I wanted to bid on upgrading to a Haven room... for my cruise currently set to depart on 4/12.... 🙄🙄🙄  Like the rest of you, I'm sure they're going to follow suit and extend cancellations, but they definitely have their game face on at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m wondering what they will do too.  I’m supposed to be on 4/26 on breakaway.   I really would not be shocked if they attempt to start up again after the 30 days are up.  With so much rhetoric about reopening the country and all that.  I don’t know what to believe anymore. 

4 hours ago, RaftingJeremy said:

I’m wondering what they will do too.  I’m supposed to be on 4/26 on breakaway.   I really would not be shocked if they attempt to start up again after the 30 days are up.  With so much rhetoric about reopening the country and all that.  I don’t know what to believe anymore. 

You have up until 48 hours to cancel... just wait it out. No need to panic or cancel ahead of time. Patience grasshopper, 😉

1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

You have up until 48 hours to cancel... just wait it out. No need to panic or cancel ahead of time. Patience grasshopper, 😉

I have no intention of canceling.  I know how this works and what they are up to.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CruisingfromVA said:

I just got an email from Norwegian asking me if I wanted to bid on upgrading to a Haven room... for my cruise currently set to depart on 4/12.... 🙄🙄🙄  Like the rest of you, I'm sure they're going to follow suit and extend cancellations, but they definitely have their game face on at the moment.

Just another unethical attempt by NCL to get their hands on more of your money for an extended period of time.  Everyone knows that cruise won't be happening, yet NCL is more than happy to take your money.

• Like 1

we are on the Joy out of La on April 12th, with the stay at home lock down in CA and the cruise ports in Mexico closed NCL does need to cancel so we are just in a wait mode.  I heard some of the cruise lines are posting updates on Monday 03/30 about extending their shut downs so hopefully NCL will make an announcement also!

23 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I sincerely hope that NCL does not go under then there will be no refunds to hope for. They would most likely file for Chapter 11.

Does anyone know if travel insurance would kick in if you were eligible for a refund and this happens?    It's not really clear on my terms and conditions.   

2 minutes ago, Cb2534 said:

Does anyone know if travel insurance would kick in if you were eligible for a refund and this happens?    It's not really clear on my terms and conditions.   

It probably would be best to ask that to the particular company that you got your policy through.

26 minutes ago, Cb2534 said:

Mine is Travel Insured and it does kick in if the supplier cancels and unable to fulfill it's obligations. Not so if you had cancelled. Read your terms and conditions. I have my doubts that if you bought NCL's policy it's going to be so. It's why it's always better to buy independent insurance.  The thing is that we have to wait the designated time to see if NCL is going to give refunds. I went ahead and filed a claim with all the particulars for airline cancellations too just in case. Good luck to you.🙂

Edited by Petoonya

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Mine is Travel Insured and it does kick in if the supplier cancels and unable to fulfill it's obligations. Not so if you had cancelled. Read your terms and conditions. I have my doubts that if you bought NCL's policy it's going to be so. It's why it's always better to buy independent insurance.  The thing is that we have to wait the designated time to see if NCL is going to give refunds. I went ahead and filed a claim with all the particulars for airline cancellations too just in case. Good luck to you.🙂

Would it still cover if reason for cancel is a pandemic?

8 minutes ago, krittykat said:

Would it still cover if reason for cancel is a pandemic?

Everything I've read in my policy states that the clear reasons that are allowed for cancellation is your severe illness, or illness or death of a family member. Every policy is different and worldwide illness could be covered.  I've learned to say never say never. But reading my own policy it appears that threat of illness doesn't qualify. Since many travel insurance companies are requesting bailouts I think it would be unlikely that they would alter the wording of their contracts. But again I could be wrong.

Best to read your own policies terms and conditions. Mine was spelled out plainly and obvious that threat from something like a pandemic would not be covered. Read yours carefully.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Updated May 20, 2020 NCL   Your safety is our #1 priority—both on and off our ships. Due to the current global environment, we are extending the suspension of all sailings across our fleet through July 31, 2020. 

Edited by ISLABONITA