Cancelled, requested refund and actually received one?

SpeedySal

The thing is..... this was going to be our first Costa cruise, having cruised very frequently with other companies.  Frankly, the way this has been handled means that I wouldn't want to take the voucher because I now seriously doubt whether we'd enjoy a Costa cruise.  I would take considerable persuasion to take one based on their appalling customer service.  And 100% voucher given that prices next year have gone up a minimum of 30% for the same cruise/cabin is not any sort of persuasion.  If they are needing to cut service levels to this level in paying refunds, times must be very hard indeed at Costa Cruises.  This means that the sea experience is going to be cut back as well.  Reading the comments of frequent Costa cruisers, this seems to be the case.  Just want my money back now.  

The thing is..... this was going to be our first Costa cruise, having cruised very frequently with other companies.  Frankly, the way this has been handled means that I wouldn't want to take the voucher because I now seriously doubt whether we'd enjoy a Costa cruise.  I would take considerable persuasion to take one based on their appalling customer service.  And 100% voucher given that prices next year have gone up a minimum of 30% for the same cruise/cabin is not any sort of persuasion.  If they are needing to cut service levels to this level in paying refunds, times must be very hard indeed at Costa Cruises.  This means that the sea experience is going to be cut back as well.  Reading the comments of frequent Costa cruisers, this seems to be the case.  Just want my money back now.  

The Costa experience is certainly cut back, but so are the prices. You get what you pay for. 

Eg. You have to pay for drinking water with your meal in the main dining room (both lunch and dinner).

you also have to pay extra if you want coffee or tea after your meal in the main dining room.

The lunch and dinner timings in the buffet are limited.

The alcohol packages do not include drinking water.

They have a separate package for water, sodas, beer and wine, which is valid only during lunch and dinner timings.

They have a mandatory service charge of 10 euros per person per day. (the service charges are not considered tips)

Like I said, you get what you pay for

Yes, I agree, their prices have been lower ie get what you pay for.  However, from next year, their prices are ramped up but baed on the customer service levels I have experienced, the ship service will be way way down even from previous years.  Anyway, I just want my money back and I will not make the massive mistake of cruising with Costa again.  Not htat I eve rdid get the chance to cruise with Costa.  But, as I say, judging by the experience of getting money back/a better deal going forward, I can only imagine it would be a much less enjoyable - and actually better value - than cruising with so many other companies. 

On 5/28/2020 at 6:42 PM, alliebdive said:

The same cruise next year is 75% more expensive than the cost this year.  This year we had the cruise and the middle unlimited drinks package (Brindiamo??) for less than the cost of the "bargain  price" cruise next year.  So the fcc is not worth very much.....  we will hang out for the refund but I am not confident.  I can see Carnival shedding this mob.  They have been nothing but trouble to them to be honest.  

Agreed, go all out for a refund. Apart from the increase in cruise costs in 2021, there's another unknown factor - the cost of future flights.

If there are small pockets of Cov-19 outbreaks next year, regulatory authorities will continue to put huge restrictions on the passenger capacities of the planes.

Future Cruise Credits need additional guarantees to protect against flight price hikes and retain credibility with their loyal customers. 

By tradition, Costa has been a cruise only company. A lot will depend on what 2021 flight guarantees are offered by their competitors. Conclusion - take the money and run.

costa called me today regarding the 3/16 barcelona cruise i cancelled in february.  'sir, just wanted to check if you still wanted a refund and not credit'.  they were offering about 150% i think.  

yes just like i told you the last six times over the past four months i have called you, i don't want your credit and PLEASE refund my credit card.

we'll see if anything happens from here...

Edited by dethman

costa called me today regarding the 3/16 barcelona cruise i cancelled in february.  'sir, just wanted to check if you still wanted a refund and not credit'.  they were offering about 150% i think.  

yes just like i told you the last six times over the past four months i have called you, i don't want your credit and PLEASE refund my credit card.

Would you be willing to accept a FCC if it was 200% or 300% of what you paid?

19 minutes ago, drsel said:
6 hours ago, dethman said:

Would you be willing to accept a FCC if it was 200% or 300% of what you paid?

probably not, given the way costa has treated myself and other customers.  sailing until the very last minute without regards for safety and refusing to allow cancellations for refunds, keeping people in the dark regarding their money for months, and with next year's cruises being significantly more expensive than this year's.

also being based in the US, costa doesn't really sail here and i imagine airline prices to europe would be significantly higher next year so it doesn't really help with the cost of the vacation.

Edited by dethman

Well i have just called Costa and asked them, if i take a voucher for a Barcelona to Dubai cruise in September what will i get. There is no change, 100% plus 200obc. I then told them to go ahead and book, to my surprise i was told that i am no longer entitled to the voucher as a refund has been processed in my name and they are still waiting to pay out, but it will take time.

Well i have just called Costa and asked them, if i take a voucher for a Barcelona to Dubai cruise in September what will i get. There is no change, 100% plus 200obc. I then told them to go ahead and book, to my surprise i was told that i am no longer entitled to the voucher as a refund has been processed in my name and they are still waiting to pay out, but it will take time.
So Gerry, once you get your refund of Cruise fare, airfare, hotel expense, etc; will you book that Barcelona to Dubai Cruise on Costa?

7 minutes ago, drsel said:
17 minutes ago, gerryuk said:

So Gerry, once you get your refund of Cruise fare, airfare, hotel expense, etc; will you book that Barcelona to Dubai Cruise on Costa?

I have already booked it, although very doubtful it will sail. The Costa rep informed me that the cruise is confirmed, but i have my doubts. I was told i can pay £100 early payment and when i get the refund to pay the rest. I took a inside cabin and the solo price for 30 day cruise was 1600, which is very reasonable, if it sails, that is. 

Hi

Just to let you know the travel agent Cruise Nation told is on 18th June, that they would let us know what was happening with the refund (countless telephone calls and emails) by 21st June.

Surprise Nothing.

Its 103 days now and if it gets to 120 you can't claim on your credit card.

Shame because  we've done 10 cruises -  2 NCL, P&O, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, MSC and 4 Costa.

If you go Costa you have to think cheap and cheerful.  Drinks packages reasonable and good itineraries.

So Costa are not doing themselves any favours by not paying anyone out.

Finally we have our refund for the March 13th Diadema sailing from Abu Dhabi to Rome!

As posted March 17th on the March 13th roll call, we booked the Diadema from Abu Dhabi to Rome through Costa USA and cancelled it on February 26 just in time to be eligible to get 25% of the cruise fare returned along with the taxes. On March 22nd, a few days after we sent an email to Costa requesting a full refund for the March 13th sailing, we initiated a claim through our Propel American Express credit card issued by Wells Fargo. We provided Wells Fargo with our initial invoice, the revised invoice after cancellation, and a copy of our letter to Costa requesting a FULL refund.  Based on Gerry's March 16th posting on our roll call we included the following in our letter to Costa which we hoped would have a positive effect in obtaining a full refund:

"A fellow passenger from the UK who flew to Dubai just to learn the cruise was cancelled shared the following information that was included in an email he received from Costa on Sunday the 15th:

Free cancellation: as a partial waiver of what provided in article 6.1 of our General Conditions, it will be possible to withdraw without penalties for the cruise part on all bookings confirmed from March 4th to April 30th, 2020, in Deluxe, Total Comfort and Basic rates, except Around the World and Great Cruises. As a condition, the cancellation request must be submitted no later than the day before departure and anyway within and no later than April 30th, 2020.

Based on the above, we request that the afore-mentioned waiver be given and a full refund be returned to our Amex card ….."

On April 30th (5 weeks after filing our dispute) a TEMPORARY credit of the full cruise amount was posted to our credit card.  In late May Wells Fargo advised "We contacted the merchant 24 days ago about your dispute. We have no news yet, but the merchant has a total of 45 days to get back to us."

Thursday we received an email advising that the credit was now Permanent and that we would be receiving a letter in the mail. Today we received the letter which stated: "We completed our research of your inquiry and have approved your claim(s) for the disputed transaction(s) below. As these claims were accepted by the merchant's banks, the temporary credit(s) we previously provided are now permanent and will remain on your account."

We have no idea whether Costa reviewed anything or just left it up to the bank to review but we are certainly happy that we were able to pursue a full refund through our credit card as it looks like Costa still hasn't started processing cash refunds. We hope that as we continue to monitor these boards, we will finally be reading comments regarding successfully receiving refunds from Costa.

Have any of the Brits waiting for a refund tried a complaint to ABTA????  We have just over 2 weeks now until the credit card protection runs out.  It wouldnt get me all my money back ie it wont protect the £780 we spent on flights or the deposit which for some crackpot reason I paid on my debit card.... but it would be something.  

13 hours ago, alliebdive said:

Have any of the Brits waiting for a refund tried a complaint to ABTA????  We have just over 2 weeks now until the credit card protection runs out.  It wouldnt get me all my money back ie it wont protect the £780 we spent on flights or the deposit which for some crackpot reason I paid on my debit card.... but it would be something.  

If the debit card is issued by VISA or MC, why don't you contact the the card issuing bank as in whether you can dispute the transaction? 

If it is a credit rather that debit card you have a much longer time.  If you are going to claim via debit or credit card a discussion with ABTA at this stage may just muddy the water.

And the deadline for debit cards if you read the link information above looks to be either from the date of transaction or the date of expected service, this may be of help?

Edited by jerseylily

Today my wife and I were so lucky that we were reimbursed the entire amount we had paid for a Mediterranean cruise with Smeralda, at the end of March this year. A cruise canceled by Costa.

However, the refund did not come from Costa, but from our excellent TA.

I'm really glad I didn't book this cruise directly with Costa!

Today my wife and I were so lucky that we were reimbursed the entire amount we had paid for a Mediterranean cruise with Smeralda, at the end of March this year. A cruise canceled by Costa.
However, the refund did not come from Costa, but from our excellent TA.

I'm really glad I didn't book this cruise directly with Costa!
I am so happy for you ! But surely the TA didn't reimburse you from his pocket.
Your refund came through the TA, not from the TA.

1 hour ago, drsel said:

I am so happy for you ! But surely the TA didn't reimburse you from his pocket.
Your refund came through the TA, not from the TA.

Thank you!

In an email I received today from my TA, they wrote that they had not yet received any disbursement from Costa. But because it’s been a long time, they had chosen to send a refund to their customers.

Moreover, I was very surprised to see that the money had already been transferred to my account today. Not least, because also my TA, like many other companies in these spesial times, is in a difficult financial situation

I approached our bank yesterday and they have agreed to fund the entire amount under Section 75 of the cc legislation.  The debit card deposit payment is already in my account plus interest!!!!!  The credit card clawback will arrive in the next month apparently but it is definitely happening, they just have to give Costa the chance to pay up.  Not sure why the debit card team didnt need to do this.  Same bank.  Anyway, no complaints.  

On our flight refund, we have approached the Halifax bank who's credit card we used for the flights.  Now obviosly they cannot clawback the money from Emirates because they did supply the service.  However, they have asked  me to send them the email showing Costa promised to refund the airfare, and they will then - almost certainly - be able to claw it back from Costa under the "consequential loss" part of Section 75.  So, huge relief that our refunds are definitely on the way.  I am completely unconcerned if this results in any detrimental action from Costa because I will never cruise with them again.  Anyway, folks, if this is of any help to you, then good luck!

7 hours ago, drsel said:

This is amazing !

your travel agent must be having over 1,000 customers & will have to pay out over a million dollars from his pocket!

How my TA managed  to provide capital for refunds to their customers, I don’t know. Maybe it could be a financial support from the Norwegian Travel Guarantee Fund, or support schemes from the Norwegian authorities to Norwegian business, because of the Corona Pandemic? Or from other sources? But really, I don’t care! Again, I am just very happy that I received a full refund from my TA, to my bank account, last Monday!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jakob71 said:

How my TA managed  to provide capital for refunds to their customers, I don’t know. Maybe it could be a financial support from the Norwegian Travel Guarantee Fund, or support schemes from the Norwegian authorities to Norwegian business, because of the Corona Pandemic? Or from other sources? But really, I don’t care! Again, I am just very happy that I received a full refund from my TA, to my bank account, last Monday!

There is the possibility that your TA did not sent Costa your money, if they new that there was a good chance the cruise would be cancelled.