How could cruise lines have handled this better?

npcl

On 4/2/2020 at 11:52 AM, BarbinMich said:

On the pre-Royal ships, buffets were partially self-serve (salad bar, desserts) with the hot food being put on a plate for you.  I was amazed to see the "openness" of the buffet on the Royal.  Not only is it wide open to germs, but the food is lukewarm at best.  

I have bee cruising on Princess since 1990 and the only times I have seen crew serving food at the buffet was during a Moro outbreak 

43 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Respectfully, Princess had already made the choice...

Princess did not stop until March 12th. Other Cruise lines even later.

All pretty unforgiveable given the writing was on the wall for weeks prior.

The industry now has a public image that will take an indeterminate, but likely very long time to repair.

Let alone the human tragedy and disastrous financial impact. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IDB37 said:

Princess did not stop until March 12th. Other Cruise lines even later.

All pretty unforgiveable given the writing was on the wall for weeks prior.

The industry now has a public image that will take an indeterminate, but likely very long time to repair.

Let alone the human tragedy and disastrous financial impact. 

They HAD already announced their three month "pause", and were letting those in the water finish or found a port to accept them.

Well I can only find this:

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2020/03/princess-cruises-announces-a-voluntary-and-temporary-pause.html

But whatever the exct chronology, the bottom line is the writing was on the wall for at least a month prior:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5057/

Are you saying you think Princess and the Cruise Industry as a whole acted in a timely and appropriate manner, in the light of the developing crisis, having primary regard to the safety of passengers and crew alike ? 

Much as I have loved cruising over the last couple of decades, there are surely an awful lot of question for Cruise Execs. to answer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, IDB37 said:

Are you saying you think Princess and the Cruise Industry as a whole acted in a timely and appropriate manner, in the light of the developing crisis, having primary regard to the safety of passengers and crew alike ? 

wow, a full month - excellent posting of FACTS !

24 minutes ago, IDB37 said:

Interestingly, that article (dated Feb 12) illustrates the effectiveness of taking the threat seriously.  It discusses Tonga barring cruise ships. It has since declared a state of emergency, closing nightclubs, etc. 

Tonga has done all this and didn't wait for the virus to spread--AND HAS HAD ZERO CASES!

10 minutes ago, voljeep said:

wow, a full month - excellent posting of FACTS !

And your point is ?

What additional facts would you like ?

The names of the ships which continued to sail despite the disease spreading like wildfire across the globe, or perhaps the names of the passengers and crew needlessly infected with Covid as a result ?

No doubt they'll all be named in the multiple class action law suits now being issued.

8 minutes ago, IDB37 said:

And your point is ?

What additional facts would you like ?

sorry if you thought that was sarcasm … I thought it was an excellent posting with 2 excellent links showing that at least

a month lag from Princess knowing what was going on, and stopping ( somewhat ) cruises at that point

41 minutes ago, voljeep said:

sorry if you thought that was sarcasm … I thought it was an excellent posting with 2 excellent links showing that at least

a month lag from Princess knowing what was going on, and stopping ( somewhat ) cruises at that point

Fair enough & thanks for that.

It's a tough time for everyone right now, with hard lessons being learned all around.

• Thanks 1