Question for Panorama cruisers that use/used LAX for flight

mslhb

We are booked on the 5/23 Panorama sailing. American Airlines not surprisingly has scaled back their flights and we were automatically re-booked on one that leaves LAX on our disembark day at 11:05am. We have a suite so will have priority disembark. I assume this sailing will be cancelled but still hopeful we get to sail. Is the 11am doable or should I look for other options. AA has nothing better on that day so we would need to rebook for the next day or look to switch airlines. I mentally had already prepared for the sailing to be cancelled but the recent Carnival comment about May/June sailings has me hopeful.

I cruised in December and did self-assist in the early flight group. I was outside of the terminal around 7:45 and caught the shuttle bus in the lot. There wasn't much traffic on the way to the airport, but airport traffic was a bit backed up.  The line was long to check my bags and the pre-check line had about ten people in front of me.  After that, I had to take a shuttle to my terminal.  I was in front of my gate at 9:45 am.

We had a Panorama suite and made this exact same trip to LAX in late February.  We were off the ship a few minutes before 8 a.m.  Traffic was light, so only about 20-25 minutes to LAX.  No airport traffic.  Security line was very short, less than five minutes.  We flew out on Alaska, a different terminal than American, so I'm unsure what, if any, difference there might be for a security wait.

Terminal difference aside, however, assuming your disembarkation is without issue, you have transportation waiting for you and can leave almost immediately, and there are no traffic problems, then you should be ok.  But I would caution you that obviously everything went pretty close to perfect for us, so while it is doable, there is little room for error (delay).  

My experience was they didn’t let us off of the ship on debarkation day due to a covid-19 scare so everyone flying out that day missed their flight. 

The next day I know diamond/platinum debarkation started at 7:15am. I wanted breakfast so I didn’t go to that. I waited for them to call my deck for self assist which was 9am. I was outside at 9:30. My uber got there at 10. I didn’t go to LAX I went a little further to Hollywood. That took an hour but a lot of it was on one street in Hollywood.

I flew out on spirit the next day at 11:15. No lines at bag drop. Short line at security.

Edited by Saint Greg

I sailed the Panorama the 2nd week of February. I didn't do self assist but because I am platinum was in in group one or two for debarkation. Also, since I was traveling solo I did the Carnival transfer to LAX. Debarkation was very fast and I was on a bus at 9:00. They pulled out just a couple of minutes later and we were at the airport by 9:30. I flew AA and had TSA Pre check so no line at the airport either.

17 hours ago, BelowDeck4us said:

Security line was very short, less than five minutes.  We flew out on Alaska, a different terminal than American, so I'm unsure what, if any, difference there might be for a security wait.

coronavirus? advanced screening

I cruised the PANORAMA in late January and because of my Platinum status probably was off the ship by 7:15, out of the parking garage and on the freeway by 7:30. A big advantage you're having going to the airport is the cruise is Saturday to Saturday and the dreaded 405 to the airport should be ideal (if there is a condition like that for the 405) at that day of the week and time of the day. I think it's worth the risk. 🙂

5 hours ago, coevan said:

coronavirus? advanced screening

No advanced screening at the airport, just regular security.  Terminal itself was quite busy, once we cleared security.  We flew back 2/22, so coronavirus was a concern, but it was over the subsequent 7+ days when it really seemed to ramp up exponentially.