Interesting JDPower Poll with all the Stats

With all the topics on here about the 70+ current rules for cruises I decided to look into it to find the breakdown of age groups.  It turns out the Gen Y/Millenials are by far the age group most likely to book a cruise for their next vacation-and this very much explains all the new bells and whistles cruise lines are incorporating into new ship builds as well as revamping older ships to include. 70% of Gen Y are likely to book a cruise, while all the older generations (Traditionalists, Boomer and Gen X) hover around the 50% mark. So while it may seem like the 70+ crowd would be most likely to cruise and that cruise lines would be taking a huge hit by not allowing them in the immediate future, it seems the cruise lines have done their research and found that is not the age group they are most worried about losing vacation dollars from.  Very cool poll here, you can check it all out.

https://cruising.org/-/media/research-updates/research/consumer-research/2018-clia-travel-report.pdf

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Not sure how well a poll from 8/2017 will translate to the situation today.

The very first page of the poll says January 2018.  And that appears to be the most recent set of stats.  From the other thread where a different set of stats was posted, however, the numbers don't appear to have changed much from 2016-2018

9 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

The very first page of the poll says January 2018.  And that appears to be the most recent set of stats.  From the other thread where a different set of stats was posted, however, the numbers don't appear to have changed much from 2016-2018

The information was published in January 2018.  The poll was conducted in August 2017.

J.D. Power conducted a web-based survey of its Consumer Panel in August 2017, targeting consumers who: 1. Are 18 years of age of older, 2. Earn more than $50,000 annually 3. Had taken a vacation in the past three years.

Haha, the point is that by perusing the threads here you would think that most cruisers are senior citizens and that the cruise lines will go bust without them able to board.  That type of fear is what drives stocks down, which threatens everyone who has money in the cruise lines right now-whether by stocks or by FCC. The research shows that is not the case, there just happen to be a disproportionate number of seniors here on this message board that this current ruling is affecting.  Just trying to make sure everyone sees the whole truth and the real numbers. Chances are high that whether 2017 or 2020 that the age groups haven't changed much in terms of those more likely to cruise.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

They surveyed approximately 1600 people, half of which weren't even cruisers.  I take a pass on this information.  

Why not start a poll on ages here, there are more here who are not seniors than you seem to think.

Sure, let's find out.

But I will point out that the poll is directly from the CLIA, with a respected polling company JDPower at the helm.  I think it's more reputable than any Tom, Joe or Harry relaying some heresay 🙂

4 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

They surveyed approximately 1600 people, half of which weren't even cruisers.  I take a pass on this information.  

Why not start a poll on ages here, there are more here who are not seniors than you seem to think.

You obviously don't understand the underlying methodology of polling and statistics in general.

It looks like they were trying to poll various age groups, income and people that have cruised and people have not cruised.

If I owned a cruise line I want to know about the people that have not cruised and what drew/draws them  to a particular vacation.

Yes you want to compete against other cruise lines but you also want compete and draw people from land based vacations (Walt Disney World/all-inclusives etc).  If you do the former you are just slicing the the same size pie in a different way.  If you do the latter you are increasing the size of the pie and getting your share.

Since this is a CLIA sponsored poll, I imagine they are trying to increase the size of the cruise pie at the expense of the size of the land based vacation pie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gatour said:

You obviously don't understand the underlying methodology of polling and statistics in general.

It looks like they were trying to poll various age groups, income and people that have cruised and people have not cruised.

If I owned a cruise line I want to know about the people that have not cruised and what drew/draws them  to a particular vacation.

Yes you want to compete against other cruise lines but you also want compete and draw people from land based vacations (Walt Disney World/all-inclusives etc).  If you do the former you are just slicing the the same size pie in a different way.  If you do the latter you are increasing the size of the pie and getting your share.

Since this is a CLIA sponsored poll, I imagine they are trying to increase the size of the cruise pie at the expense of the size of the land based vacation pie.

LOL

Not going to waste my time with a post like this.

4 hours ago, adidas5676 said:

there just happen to be a disproportionate number of seniors here on this message board that this current ruling is affecting.  

How do you know how old anyone here is? And I've seen plenty of people on the ships who look to me like they are either over 70, or that they have some chronic medical issues, or both.

No matter what, I think those who may have been considering a cruise but not tried one will sit on the sidelines for a while after things start back up. The media has done a number on bringing the recent issues on the ships to the forefront.

15 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

How do you know how old anyone here is? And I've seen plenty of people on the ships who look to me like they are either over 70, or that they have some chronic medical issues, or both.

No matter what, I think those who may have been considering a cruise but not tried one will sit on the sidelines for a while after things start back up. The media has done a number on bringing the recent issues on the ships to the forefront.

I had an idea of the people here's ages because of the posts I've read, the topics that have been created and discussed.  And to top it off I made a poll asking ages and I was exactly right on my theory.  But Yeah I think you're right new cruisers will likely not want to cruise for a while.

On 4/10/2020 at 8:56 PM, reallyitsmema said:

LOL

Not going to waste my time with a post like this.

Why not?

Have you taken statistics classes, and classes on how polls are constructed? If so please enlighten me.