Just dispute the charge already!

Waquoit

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Actually "friendly fraud" is the appropriate term. It isn't something julig22 "added" or created. Google it.

Yes, of course.  My mistake.  What I should have written was: "the first use of the term "friendly fraud" in this thread was your post #103".  julig22 told me to stop dropping "friendly" when in fact "friendly" hadn't been used in any post I was commenting on.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PATRLR said:

In my case I told the credit card company the whole story including NCL's refund "after 90 days" and the fact that I didn't agree to wait that long.  No fraud, just honest reporting of facts.  And BirdTravels never used the term "friendly" when he was wrongly accusing us of committing fraud.

Did you tell your CC company that you already received a refund from NCL in the form of a FCC in accordance with the cruise line's current refund policy?

And that you subsequently requested NCL to change the form of refund from a FCC to a cash? And that NCL told you would take 90 days to process the request to change the form of refund?

And that by the CC company's honoring your chargeback, you will now have received two refunds for the same cruise,,,, double dipping?

35 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

And that you subsequently requested NCL to change the form of refund from a FCC to a cash?

FCC has no monetary value. So in there description of FCC it’s a glorified coupon with a expiration date. 

Edited by ellasmomanddad
Added
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Did you tell your CC company that you already received a refund from NCL in the form of a FCC in accordance with the cruise line's current refund policy?

And that you subsequently requested NCL to change the form of refund from a FCC to a cash? And that NCL told you would take 90 days to process the request to change the form of refund?

And that by the CC company's honoring your chargeback, you will now have received two refunds for the same cruise,,,, double dipping?

Your “fraud” argument has been debunked, so now you’re going to grasp at straws and suggest that a FCC is the same thing is a cash refund? They’re not even remotely the same thing, and if they were, NCL wouldn’t give the option for one or the other. There’s no way a credit card company would side with NCL because they issued a FCC for a cruise that didn’t take place. There’s no chance of “double dipping”. Once the chargeback is complete, NCL will remove the FCC, just like they are with people who requested refunds in lieu of the FCC. No cruises will be running before the chargeback process is complete, so there’s no chance of this person using the FCC on a sailing before the chargeback is resolved. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Murph269 said:

Your “fraud” argument has been debunked, so now you’re going to grasp at straws and suggest that a FCC is the same thing is a cash refund? They’re not even remotely the same thing, and if they were, NCL wouldn’t give the option for one or the other. There’s no way a credit card company would side with NCL because they issued a FCC for a cruise that didn’t take place. There’s no chance of “double dipping”. Once the chargeback is complete, NCL will remove the FCC, just like they are with people who requested refunds in lieu of the FCC. No cruises will be running before the chargeback process is complete, so there’s no chance of this person using the FCC on a sailing before the chargeback is resolved. 

There actually is a chance of double-dipping if NCL isn't careful (this commonly happens when large companies don't pay proper attention to chargebacks), but that's NCL's problem, not the consumer's.

NCL needs to monitor chargebacks and take those people off the refund list.  This is their job to do, and the consumer need not worry about this detail.

3 minutes ago, pokerpro5 said:

There actually is a chance of double-dipping if NCL isn't careful (this commonly happens when large companies don't pay proper attention to chargebacks), but that's NCL's problem, not the consumer's.

NCL needs to monitor chargebacks and take those people off the refund list.  This is their job to do, and the consumer need not worry about this detail.

Sure, but that goes without saying. I could've clarified and said “provided NCL does their job properly, there is no chance for double dipping”. If someone intentionally tried it, and got away with it, that would actually be grounds for a fraud case. However, I’m referring to the OP’s situation and have no reason to believe that’s their intent. 

Edited by Murph269
  • Like 1

I was asked to post an update when my credit card dispute process was over:

4/13/20 - Filled out NCL online refund. Decided a 90-day wait was ridiculous.

4/14/20 - Called AMEX. Told them I had applied for a refund but I felt 90 days was too long too wait. Once they found the charge on my account all they asked me was if the cruise had been cancelled by NCL and the date I was notified. The matter-of-fact way they handled my request leads me to believe that they are handling many similar requests from cruise customers these days and they have developed a standard procedure to process them. What happened to me will happen to you. One thing you might want to note is that if you have a balance on your credit card, the refund money will applied to that balance before you get a credit balance.

4/16/20 - Received a secure message in my AMEX account: We're writing to let you know that, as a result of our investigation, we've credited your account for $4,032.52 which will appear on your next statement.    FYI, my next statement wasn't for two weeks.

4/17/20 - Refund for the finance charges associated with the purchase was posted. I used "Plan It" for a month and they gave me my $25. back.

4/18/20 - Refund for the cruise hits my credit card:

image.png.09331742f584cd8af620474b087b6fc9.png

Now this was at 8:00 am EST on a Saturday. I called AMEX back and asked to have the refund sent back into my checking account. Max said it would show up in 2 days.

4/20/20 - This morning in my checking account:

image.png.86b1b55c37db617854a19d313671261b.png

And thus ends my experience with "cruise life." I haven't been impressed with NCL's performance throughout this entire process. Hiding the refund in an attachment, making you wait two weeks and then having it only open for a two week window doesn't pass the smell taste for me. I'm glad they don't have my money anymore, those were the last dollars they will ever get from me. I have better charities to give my money to instead of Norwegian Cruise Lines.

And don't forget this, copied as is from the AMEX website: A disputed charge is not the same as a fraudulent charge. 

Edited by Waquoit
  • Like 11