What happens to FCC if they cancel twice?

SpoonMan23

9 hours ago, Heather1972 said:

So let me get this straight, if I use my Bonus FCC ( I have both 50% and 25% from 2 separate cruises) that it just brings down the cruise fare. If NCL cancels the cruise I used the bonus FCC on, I will lose that and it won't be put back into my account because it didn't go in as a payment, just a reduction in price? 

Correct. But in theory, if they cancel again they would probably offer the same type of deal so you would get a 25% bonus back as part of the new deal (no guarantees they will do that though). You also have a unique situation where you have two different bonus's. Have you already booked a new cruise? I would be curious if they will allow you to use both on one booking.  

38 minutes ago, Chris_2448 said:

Correct. But in theory, if they cancel again they would probably offer the same type of deal so you would get a 25% bonus back as part of the new deal (no guarantees they will do that though). You also have a unique situation where you have two different bonus's. Have you already booked a new cruise? I would be curious if they will allow you to use both on one booking.  

There is no second bonus - The FCC is simply reapplied to your account per NCL UK. 

5 hours ago, Mrdodgy said:

There is no second bonus - The FCC is simply reapplied to your account per NCL UK. 

We will find out, as I just booked a June 7th cruise using all FCC. I question if they can just pop it back into you account?

Here's my reasoning... If I paid $1600 in cash, they cancel, and give me $2000 FCC it still has part of my cash?  They canceled again or should I say they deprived me of the right to use my original cash and compensation. That defeats the purpose of putting a time constraint on my usage of said FCC.

So they would need to give me a cash refund now? Since I booked today, and the CDC said no cruises for a 100 days, they have prior and current knowledge that the cruise is not going to happen.  This being the case, they put themselves into this position by saying I must use it by a certain date. I did use it, today!

We will see.

I also bought travel insurance thru insure my trip, so I have an additional out of pocket expense.

Steve

6 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

We will find out, as I just booked a June 7th cruise using all FCC. I question if they can just pop it back into you account?

Here's my reasoning... If I paid $1600 in cash, they cancel, and give me $2000 FCC it still has part of my cash?  They canceled again or should I say they deprived me of the right to use my original cash and compensation. That defeats the purpose of putting a time constraint on my usage of said FCC.

So they would need to give me a cash refund now? Since I booked today, and the CDC said no cruises for a 100 days, they have prior and current knowledge that the cruise is not going to happen.  This being the case, they put themselves into this position by saying I must use it by a certain date. I did use it, today!

We will see.

I also bought travel insurance thru insure my trip, so I have an additional out of pocket expense.

Steve

The word is credit placed on your account - its that simple. It is not cash. So if you cancel (or they cancel) they only have to honour the credit placed. Think about it logically, lets say NCL went out of business the CC would only pay the basic $1,600. The bonus is NCL cost. So if you cancel why would they need to give you the compensation. sure if you rebook they will give you the original compensation. 

The reason your logic is not I would suggest  correct is that your second booking is not cash, as it is paid for via the FC  credit. Indeed I suggest that in accepting it you have waived your rights with the credit card as your cash is now a FCC voucher and NCL have provided a service. 

Interesting conversation and I would love to test it in court as I think NCL would have a strong case. Of course I would need to read the small print on the voucher condition first. 

BTW I hope I am wrong!!! 

UK travel insurance no longer covering any Covid 19 cancellations 😞

Ymmv but I didn’t get a double credit.  I used a pre covid  fcc to book a March 29 canceled sailing. My 125% was based on the $ spent above and beyond the cn’s and fcc’s. My pcc was finally able to get me squared away and rebooked on a haven suite with no cash outlay. The ncl pcc can see that the fccs and cn’s  are going to come back at some point but with all the additional cancellations it’ll be a while. The 20% discount, 125% fccs along with previous issued  fcc’s and cruise nexts got me down to a great deal on a more desirable replacement sailing. A little patience paid off and at least I’ve got a great sailing to look forward to this time next year. 

9 hours ago, littlelulu01 said:

Ymmv but I didn’t get a double credit.  I used a pre covid  fcc to book a March 29 canceled sailing. My 125% was based on the $ spent above and beyond the cn’s and fcc’s. My pcc was finally able to get me squared away and rebooked on a haven suite with no cash outlay. The ncl pcc can see that the fccs and cn’s  are going to come back at some point but with all the additional cancellations it’ll be a while. The 20% discount, 125% fccs along with previous issued  fcc’s and cruise nexts got me down to a great deal on a more desirable replacement sailing. A little patience paid off and at least I’ve got a great sailing to look forward to this time next year. 

That is exactly what the T&C's say will happen, each credit ringfenced in it's own right.

Edited by ziggyuk

12 hours ago, Mrdodgy said:

The word is credit placed on your account - its that simple. It is not cash. So if you cancel (or they cancel) they only have to honour the credit placed. Think about it logically, lets say NCL went out of business the CC would only pay the basic $1,600. The bonus is NCL cost. So if you cancel why would they need to give you the compensation. sure if you rebook they will give you the original compensation. 

The reason your logic is not I would suggest  correct is that your second booking is not cash, as it is paid for via the FC  credit. Indeed I suggest that in accepting it you have waived your rights with the credit card as your cash is now a FCC voucher and NCL have provided a service. 

Interesting conversation and I would love to test it in court as I think NCL would have a strong case. Of course I would need to read the small print on the voucher condition first. 

BTW I hope I am wrong!!! 

UK travel insurance no longer covering any Covid 19 cancellations 😞

I have questioned my own logic, and the fact that they are still selling cruises when the CDC added the 100 days is unethical. You can't sell me a cruise in May when there is ZERO chance it will sail.

You mentioned if NCL went out of business. I booked my original cruise that I got the FCC back in 2018, so my CC would not cover any of it.

I have actually questioned it to a point where I could give them serious heartburn.

I decided to contact my states Attorney general and asked for clarification.

In Florida,per state laws, gift cards, certificates, stored value, or credit memos do not expire.

I believe that FCC are credit memos. The error on their part is they are not calling it a coupon.

So my using my Future Cruise credit (not coupon) is treated as cash in Florida. They issued it from Florida to a Florida resident.

here's the law.....  Credit memo” means a certificate, card, stored value card, or similar instrument issued in exchange for returned merchandise when the certificate, card, or similar instrument is redeemable for merchandise, food, or services regardless of whether any cash may be paid to the owner of the certificate, card, or instrument as part of the redemption transaction.......

Once again, I paid for a cruise in good faith.

Cruise is cancelled and I am given FCC to use by a certain date.

I use FCC on another cruise and they cancel on me again. They breached any deal we had because I followed the T&C and redeemed in their time frame. Plus I am now financially damaged by purchasing travel insurance which their own web site encourages everyone to do.

I would also love to see it tested. I don't know how they can sell cruises still for May with CDC ruling.

Steve

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

here's the law.....  Credit memo” means a certificate, card, stored value card, or similar instrument issued in exchange for returned merchandise when the certificate, card, or similar instrument is redeemable for merchandise, food, or services regardless of whether any cash may be paid to the owner of the certificate, card, or instrument as part of the redemption transaction.......

How could the cruise lines not know this before they started issuing FCC? Are they just hoping passengers aren’t smartened up? I don’t think that’s the law in Georgia but remember the gift card law in Massachusetts. Thanks for sharing that post.

I think the answer partially lies in how NCL actually creates their invoice - something that you probably won't see unless you book through NCL.  You should also be able to get a copy from your TA.

I had B2B cruises booked on the Star that had itinerary and date changes, so obviously I couldn't take both.  When I re-booked, I got a discount to my fare - I can't say for sure if that was supposed to be FCC.  Long story short, that cruise was also cancelled and the "new" FCC is only on the actual amount I paid, not on the cruise fare itself.  So it would help if someone actually had an invoice for a cruise booked with FCC.

I was also supposed to get FCC once I had taken the replacement cruise.  I'm guessing that isn't going to happen.  And unfortunately the TA that really went to battle for me to get the concessions on that re-booked cruise left the agency just prior to the beginning of all the problems due to the virus.  Thinking maybe she had a working crystal ball!

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

I think the answer partially lies in how NCL actually creates their invoice - something that you probably won't see unless you book through NCL.  You should also be able to get a copy from your TA.

I had B2B cruises booked on the Star that had itinerary and date changes, so obviously I couldn't take both.  When I re-booked, I got a discount to my fare - I can't say for sure if that was supposed to be FCC.  Long story short, that cruise was also cancelled and the "new" FCC is only on the actual amount I paid, not on the cruise fare itself.  So it would help if someone actually had an invoice for a cruise booked with FCC.

I was also supposed to get FCC once I had taken the replacement cruise.  I'm guessing that isn't going to happen.  And unfortunately the TA that really went to battle for me to get the concessions on that re-booked cruise left the agency just prior to the beginning of all the problems due to the virus.  Thinking maybe she had a working crystal ball!

I just looked at the booking and it states  ......paid by REACOM 2020-100FCC coupon.

I am going to send them a certified letter that I did not have a coupon. My original letter from them states the wording "Future cruise credit", not Future cruise credit coupon.

I am glad I live only a few hours away in case I need to escalate myself into a nuisance.

Steve