What if we can’t get travel insurance

silversurf

On 4/30/2020 at 12:25 PM, jeanlyon said:

But will they cover Covid 19.   No!

"

If you opened a new FlexPlus account or booked a trip after 18 March 2020, you will not be covered for Coronavirus related travel claims. This is because it is a known and anticipated risk.

If your trip was booked before 18 March 2020, you may be covered if you held a FlexPlus or FlexAccount.

My post said it was covered for holidays booked before March but not for ones booked after and not for new customers, it also covers for CV19 for cruises transfered to a later date if booked before March and a person was a customer before March. So what did your comment mean?

• Like 1

According to the Telegraph, the cost will depend whether the UK is able to negotiate a continuation of the reciprocal EHIC arrangements with the EU post-Brexit.

If not, ‘insurance - especially for older travellers in Europe - is likely to become more expensive and possibly harder to find’.

PJ Hayman, travel insurers, estimate a 20% rise, but more for cruises because of the greater risk. Highest rises for the over 65s and those with pre-existing conditions.

I think some of us may have taken our last cruise.  😣

15 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

According to the Telegraph, the cost will depend whether the UK is able to negotiate a continuation of the reciprocal EHIC arrangements with the EU post-Brexit.

If not, ‘insurance - especially for older travellers in Europe - is likely to become more expensive and possibly harder to find’.

PJ Hayman, travel insurers, estimate a 20% rise, but more for cruises because of the greater risk. Highest rises for the over 65s and those with pre-existing conditions.

I hope you are wrong, but fear you may be right. If our annual travel insurance were to , say double, we would still pay it to carry on enjoying our holidays.

I have received a letter this morning from my travel insurer outlining the current changes to my policy which is an affiliated scheme now temporarily closed to new customers but continuing to be available on renewal. They will NOT cover cancellation due to covid-19 but WILL cover for lockdown or quarantine due to covid-19. They will NOT cover travel against FCO advice in relation to a destination. I am still not sure that I would travel but the insurance aspect is not as cut and dried as previously thought and may not necessarily be a non starter.

7 minutes ago, Joseph Bloggs said:

I have received a letter this morning from my travel insurer outlining the current changes to my policy which is an affiliated scheme now temporarily closed to new customers but continuing to be available on renewal. They will NOT cover cancellation due to covid-19 but WILL cover for lockdown or quarantine due to covid-19. They will NOT cover travel against FCO advice in relation to a destination. I am still not sure that I would travel but the insurance aspect is not as cut and dried as previously thought and may not necessarily be a non starter.

That's the same for me. Ok for medical,not cancellations. That will do for us. What happens when it expires at mid January, who can say.

21 minutes ago, Joseph Bloggs said:

They will NOT cover travel against FCO advice in relation to a destination

Which has always been the case for the vast majority of standard travel policies.

• Like 1

Our renewal for an annual policy is due - had a conversation with them on the phone yesterday.  We're unlikely to travel until our next cruise in May of next year, if then, but on balance decided to renew as the three cruises next year (one transferred from this year) were all booked prior to March18th when the policy re Covid changed. 

They gave us the option of letting it lapse then renew later but the break in cover would put an end to the cover we currently have as per the T&Cs pre-March 18th.  Even if we don't go anywhere in the meantime, the payment date for two of the cruises will be due during this next year's period of cover, so for peace of mind, to retain the pre-Covid cover, we've renewed. 

Don't know whether we've done the right thing, but we have age extension and declared medical conditions which will also be covered if we don't let the insurance lapse and will hold good for the cruises in 2021.  So we've played safe!  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Our renewal for an annual policy is due - had a conversation with them on the phone yesterday.  We're unlikely to travel until our next cruise in May of next year, if then, but on balance decided to renew as the three cruises next year (one transferred from this year) were all booked prior to March18th when the policy re Covid changed. 

They gave us the option of letting it lapse then renew later but the break in cover would put an end to the cover we currently have as per the T&Cs pre-March 18th.  Even if we don't go anywhere in the meantime, the payment date for two of the cruises will be due during this next year's period of cover, so for peace of mind, to retain the pre-Covid cover, we've renewed. 

Don't know whether we've done the right thing, but we have age extension and declared medical conditions which will also be covered if we don't let the insurance lapse and will hold good for the cruises in 2021.  So we've played safe!  

That is probably the best course of action. Existing customers on renewal will at least be able to get insurance, albeit at whatever cost but those who let it lapse might well find it much harder to get the cover they require due to a possible reduction of players in the market. Incidentally there was no mention with my company regarding cover for the over 70's. They obviously know my age and there was no mention of any reduction in cover in that respect. As far as I know the advice against over 70's travelling was not specifically FCO advice and the only reference to the FCO was in relation to travel to specific countries against their advice. If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.

11 minutes ago, Joseph Bloggs said:

That is probably the best course of action. Existing customers on renewal will at least be able to get insurance, albeit at whatever cost but those who let it lapse might well find it much harder to get the cover they require due to a possible reduction of players in the market. Incidentally there was no mention with my company regarding cover for the over 70's. They obviously know my age and there was no mention of any reduction in cover in that respect. As far as I know the advice against over 70's travelling was not specifically FCO advice and the only reference to the FCO was in relation to travel to specific countries against their advice. If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.

FCO advised British people against all non-essential travel worldwide, this applies for an indefinite period.

This advise is still on there web site.

On 5/3/2020 at 2:00 PM, Harry Peterson said:

That increase sound ok. I am expecting double. Hope not too much more than that.

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

FCO advised British people against all non-essential travel worldwide, this applies for an indefinite period.

This advise is still on there web site.

That can change back at the drop of a hat.

• Like 1

I checked with our Travel insurance company last night about future travel that we have booked and insurance renewal due in a couple of weeks. As long as we renew with them we are fine.

The main things were  your holiday/travel had to be booked before 09.00 on 14 March 2020,  you are not travelling against FCO advice and you have not been told by a doctor not to travel.

We would also be covered if we did contract Covid as our travel was booked before the cut off date.

At least I know we are fully coverd by our insurance if our trip to the US goes ahead. 

As we will not be travelling until at least October 2021, I got a refund.  Mine would not have covered me for Covid, particularly as I would have to renew this November.  They told me on renewal, Covid would not be covered, so would rather have the money in my bank.

On 5/8/2020 at 6:47 AM, Elaine0138 said:

I checked with our Travel insurance company last night about future travel that we have booked and insurance renewal due in a couple of weeks. As long as we renew with them we are fine.

The main things were  your holiday/travel had to be booked before 09.00 on 14 March 2020,  you are not travelling against FCO advice and you have not been told by a doctor not to travel.

We would also be covered if we did contract Covid as our travel was booked before the cut off date.

At least I know we are fully coverd by our insurance if our trip to the US goes ahead. 

Got the renewal notice today and the insurance is only £90.00 more than last year. 

2 hours ago, Elaine0138 said:

Got the renewal notice today and the insurance is only £90.00 more than last year. 

That sounds a reasonable increase to me. I would bite their hand off.