QM2 location (Merged threads)

speedwell

@bluemarble Did you take any close-up shots that you could post? That’s amazing! Lego sold a kit and I’m sure someone on this forum has built it. I hope the person reads the thread and posts a picture of their build. (I need to get out my calculator and convert the metric into measurements my U.S. quilting mind can picture)

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, that's the Lego Queen Mary 2 on display at the Internationales Maritimes Museum in Hamburg. Finally got to see it in person today during the real QM2's call here today.

It's made of approximately 780,000 Lego bricks. Length: 690 cm. Beam: 82 cm. Height: 144 cm. Weight: about 870 kg. Construction time: approximately 1,200 hours (January-June 2008). Builders: René Hoffmeister and Klaas H. Meyaard.

Fantastic picture and specifications.  Thanks for this!

Cheers

8 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

Hamburg is the place to go for model ships, trains, etc. Miniatur Wunderland holds the Guinness record for largest model railroad with 15 km of track and 1490 m² of area.

https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

Yes, indeed. Managed to tick the boxes on both Miniatur Wunderland last week during our first call to Hamburg during this cruise and then the Internationales Maritimes Museum today.

In addition to Lego Queen Mary 2, the Internationales Maritimes Museum also has a more typically sized display model of QM2 in its section on cruise ships and a miniture model within the Cunard section of its massive collection called "The big world of little ships".

• Like 3

Just now, bluemarble said:

Yes, indeed. Managed to tick the boxes on both Miniatur Wunderland last week during our first call to Hamburg during this cruise and then the Internationales Maritimes Museum today.

In addition to Lego Queen Mary 2, the Internationales Maritimes Museum also has a more typically sized display model of QM2 in its section on cruise ships and a miniture model within the Cunard section of its massive collection called "The big world of little ships".

I've been enjoying your updates. Thanks for making time for this.

On 5/16/2023 at 11:37 AM, bluemarble said:

Here are some additional closer views I took of the Lego Queen Mary 2, @techteach. The overall scene is of Queen Mary 2 in drydock at the Blohm + Voss shipyard in Hamburg.

PSX_20230516_172946.thumb.jpg.2743e8cf893da393834ac1b5db21195e.jpg

PSX_20230516_170839.thumb.jpg.c1eb6d87f70006f8fe6363b848721d89.jpg

PSX_20230516_170913.thumb.jpg.5b6a4582ef1ea4cd7d78c56bc7ab94fb.jpg

PSX_20230516_170621.thumb.jpg.9701fa50667f7fef6a8ed997f6e092ad.jpg

PSX_20230516_171222.thumb.jpg.0d6522135087ad8f68a65dd25593c6f7.jpg

To add to this Lego collection. Not a Cunard ship nor as detailed but still incredible work. 
Lego store on 34th St NYCIMG_2971.thumb.jpeg.495414cb2ba9349ff680331940dbc087.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

QM2 in Calvi Corsica today 

20230616_143620.jpg

You caught me off guard seeing you were in Calvi today. I was expecting Livorno based on what I had recorded from the Cunard brochure. But there are several online itineraries showing you scheduled for Calvi today so I suppose that's been the plan for some time now despite what the brochure says. I've updated the QM2 dress code and theme schedule accordingly as I have been doing to keep up with other itinerary changes.

7 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

We were notified of the change on 23rd December, I was happy as this is a new port for us. 

It's also apparently a new port for the current Cunard fleet. I have no prior calls to Calvi recorded for QM2, QV or QE.

• Like 1

How exciting, looks like I missed a chance set the question in the Where in the World thread.

It didn't show although the Captain did say he only found out where it was 2 weeks ago !

I hope they come back it's a beautiful spot and there seemed to be a good selection of tours on offer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

How exciting, looks like I missed a chance set the question in the Where in the World thread.

It didn't show although the Captain did say he only found out where it was 2 weeks ago !

I hope they come back it's a beautiful spot and there seemed to be a good selection of tours on offer. 

Yes, that might have been a good opportunity to show a Cunard ship at Calvi in the "Where in the World?" thread. We have seen Calvi there but not with a Cunard ship. It qualified as a Cunard port because of a call there by Caronia.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Here's a webcam capture showing QM2 in Saguenay today. This is from the "Saguenay - Québec Live cam" found on the Skyline Webcams site ("skylinewebcams.com").

The other ship in this image was unknown to me until now. It's Explora I, a new cruise ship for a new cruise line, Explora Journeys, part of MSC Cruises.

QM2Saguenay2023-10-04.thumb.jpg.f523ccc32ba5c16ad0f2a62fa38a8f19.jpg

• Like 5

That nice lady that phoned me earlier was on Explora a month or two back. The photos she posted on Facebook looked great. Destinations not of interest and I didn't see much sign of dancing!

7 minutes ago, D&N said:

That nice lady that phoned me earlier was on Explora a month or two back. The photos she posted on Facebook looked great. Destinations not of interest and I didn't see much sign of dancing!

Great bread, though, apparently.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a webcam capture showing QM2 in Saguenay today. This is from the "Saguenay - Québec Live cam" found on the Skyline Webcams site ("skylinewebcams.com").

The other ship in this image was unknown to me until now. It's Explora I, a new cruise ship for a new cruise line, Explora Journeys, part of MSC Cruises.

QM2Saguenay2023-10-04.thumb.jpg.f523ccc32ba5c16ad0f2a62fa38a8f19.jpg

Trying to find @rafinmd!

• Haha 1