River Cruise Lines Start Outlining Onboard Health and Safety Changes

Host Jazzbeau

11 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I went by process of elimination: Rhine and time frame June to July 2020, the result is: https://www.viva-*****/en/cruiselisting/?d=6&f=2020-6-1&t=2020-7-31&s=4%2C2%2C8%2C9%2C7%2C5%2C14%2C10%2C3%2C13%2C12&a=2&c=&b=price&o=asc

notamermaid

Thank you. That was a better filter I used. But it makes sense that cruises within one country are the first ones to start. Much easier to coordinate than e.g. a full Rhine cruise, starting in the Netherlands, passing Germany and France to end in Switzerland or vice versa. Although I still consider a cruise in June very optimistic.

• 2 weeks later...

The set dinner sounds like a nightmare. We loved meeting new people and having dinner with them to actually get to know one another.  As for Uniworld's tours, the limit on capacity is alarming to me. We were disgusted by the competition to get on certain tours last year during are 25 day journey from AMS to BUC. After the discussion of the tours in the lounge, there was a mad rush to get in line to sign up because spaces were limited.  This was such a surprise and disappointment because there was no mention of limits to anything other than Masterpiece tours in the cruise literature.  A coach typically fit 40-50 people, and they were very reluctant to pay the price for an additional coach for popular tours.  Limiting the number of people on the coaches will force them to either add more coaches at a cost they are likely unwilling to pay, or severely limit the number of people on each tour.  

A thought on coaches. There are too many of those at busy ports already and locals quite rightly have complained about noise and pollution.  Even more coaches could be a logistical problem, also as most regional coaches will be tied up otherwise. It could result in more vehicles on the relevant roads rather than a redistribution of already existing coaches. Not a good thought, especially with more ships this year and next.

There could be longer walking distances when coaches are relegated to coach parks further away.

A row of coaches lined up along the river bank is just not possible in some places (and not a nice thing to look at either).Quick loading and unloading with stressed out guides from slow walkers? Hmm...

Even more coaches going up the hill towards Marksburg castle? Hopefully not.

notamermaid

Nothing mentioned concerning rafting. Or maybe I missed it. 

Maybe the tours will correspond with dining times? That could work. 

Remember this is a temporary solution. It’s all risk v reward. 

The air travel is my biggest concern. Will it even be allowed?

22 hours ago, notamermaid said:

A thought on coaches. There are too many of those at busy ports already and locals quite rightly have complained about noise and pollution.  Even more coaches could be a logistical problem, also as most regional coaches will be tied up otherwise. It could result in more vehicles on the relevant roads rather than a redistribution of already existing coaches. Not a good thought, especially with more ships this year and next.

There could be longer walking distances when coaches are relegated to coach parks further away.

A row of coaches lined up along the river bank is just not possible in some places (and not a nice thing to look at either).Quick loading and unloading with stressed out guides from slow walkers? Hmm...

Even more coaches going up the hill towards Marksburg castle? Hopefully not.

notamermaid

I agree completely.  This was our first European river cruise.  We did a couple smaller ones in India and Egypt.  In Europe we were extremely disappointed by the number of coaches we were put on. One of our first stops in Cologne we were on the opposite side of the city center, and it took ages just to load and get a very short distance.  When I booked, I naively had images of strolling on and off the boat.  We did that in several stops during our 25 days, but not as many as I had hoped.  There were many things I loved about the river boat experience, but I didn't feel it was the best way to truly see a location. We reflect on it as a taster.  Based on that experience, I arranged a 30 day trip to northern Italy this year. I had us moving around by train every 3-4 days starting in Venice and ending in Rome.  We were supposed to leave 7 May. So much for that. Luckily I was able to easily cancel everything.

I enjoyed our Avalon Xmas market cruise because you could chat to friendly people in the bar and then go into dinner with them. On our subsequent Amadeus Xmas market cruise they put all the English on one table  - which left us surrounded by Brexiteers - like being on a table with Trump supporters all week! When we had chatted to some lovely US and Oz ladies / couples during the days and would have loved to have eaten with them.  So I am with those who will wait to river cruise again until destinations are virus free and you have one test going on board = if negative, no worries all week.  That must be possible - one day?

On our first river cruise we made friends with a couple and two sisters at the first CD meeting and dined with them throughout the cruise.  We have stayed in contact with the couple, and even arranged to do our Africa river cruise with them.  If tables had been assigned, we probably wouldn't have made that connection (certainly not as deeply).  

I see why this is easier for the cruise lines, but I don't think that it is required:  restaurants will have 'assigned seating' but the grouping will be instituted by the party making the reservation and it can in theory be different every time you return to a restaurant.  All the cruise line needs to do is keep a list of where people sat, just like the maitre d's have been doing on ocean ships with 'anytime' dining.

New guidance from WHO:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: When and how to use masks

• If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
  • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
  • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

WHO.thumb.png.c8b83df2709a2609740c2580922e27e3.png

Thank you for posting that. The problem is: how fast can you put the mask onto your face before that bout of sneezing due to allergies hits you??  😉 

In all earnest, I am still inclined to stick to my country's rules, especially after it is been more than suggested that the outbreak in a church was down to singing and not wearing masks.

Added: the question of the air-conditioning on river cruise ships was raised a few weeks ago. I read a couple of days ago that A-Rosa has completely separate air refreshing systems for every cabin. I assume that restaurant and cabins are always separate on the ships, but I think it is reasonable to think that the North-American company ships being mostly very modern could have similar systems to A-Rosa.

It might not be known to everyone: A-Rosa and Viking ships are built by the same shipyard.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info