River Cruise Lines Start Outlining Onboard Health and Safety Changes

Host Jazzbeau

I'm not thrilled about "assigned" dining room seating. Breakfast for us is a quick in and out, and lunch can be as well. How are they going to navigate those two meals, which are predominantly buffet? A lot of our enjoyment comes with meeting new people and dining with different people each night. While this looks "good" on paper, when people are in the lounge drinking and socializing either before or after, what are they really accomplishing with the rigidity of the assigned dining?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, acwmom said:

I'm not thrilled about "assigned" dining room seating. Breakfast for us is a quick in and out, and lunch can be as well. How are they going to navigate those two meals, which are predominantly buffet? A lot of our enjoyment comes with meeting new people and dining with different people each night. While this looks "good" on paper, when people are in the lounge drinking and socializing either before or after, what are they really accomplishing with the rigidity of the assigned dining?

I think it is still the learning phase for river cruise operators. A-Rosa will be the first ones to find out what works and what doesn't. Assigned seating, for example, is one of the health requirements of the German authorities for restaurants. Social distancing of 1.5m is also still in place. I expect authorities to put a cap on the maximum number of people on a river boat for some time to reduce mingling - that is my gut feeling. But we will find out soon what CLIA and IG River Cruise have worked out, I should think. The Moselle and Elbe will probably follow as the next rivers - Again A-Rosa and then CroisiEurope (on the Elbe) soon after. What Portugal and France authorities stipulate - and when - remains to be seen.

This is from A-Rosa's website: "Currently, the A-ROSA Care-Team is working on a hygiene and health concept that embraces the current safety measures and distancing regulations for our guests and our crew. A-ROSA is continually monitoring the requirement of the authorities in the various countries as they are constantly being adapted."

https://www.arosa-*****/river-cruises/company/current-travel-information.html?_ga=2.89682846.429805870.1588878638-408893035.1556820592

There is always the risk of quarantining a whole ship with subsequent hospitalization for those that unfortunately fall rather ill. We have seen the challenges of that in the news. Even if hospitals are nearby, I am sure small river towns would rather not have such a ship at their dock. Authorities will want to very much control that type of travel.

I do not expect a river cruise in August 2020 to look like a river cruise in August 2019...

notamermaid

4 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I think it is still the learning phase for river cruise operators. A-Rosa will be the first ones to find out what works and what doesn't. Assigned seating, for example, is one of the health requirements of the German authorities for restaurants. Social distancing of 1.5m is also still in place. I expect authorities to put a cap on the maximum number of people on a river boat for some time to reduce mingling - that is my gut feeling. But we will find out soon what CLIA and IG River Cruise have worked out, I should think. The Moselle and Elbe will probably follow as the next rivers - Again A-Rosa and then CroisiEurope (on the Elbe) soon after. What Portugal and France authorities stipulate - and when - remains to be seen.

This is from A-Rosa's website: "Currently, the A-ROSA Care-Team is working on a hygiene and health concept that embraces the current safety measures and distancing regulations for our guests and our crew. A-ROSA is continually monitoring the requirement of the authorities in the various countries as they are constantly being adapted."

https://www.arosa-*****/river-cruises/company/current-travel-information.html?_ga=2.89682846.429805870.1588878638-408893035.1556820592

There is always the risk of quarantining a whole ship with subsequent hospitalization for those that unfortunately fall rather ill. We have seen the challenges of that in the news. Even if hospitals are nearby, I am sure small river towns would rather not have such a ship at their dock. Authorities will want to very much control that type of travel.

I do not expect a river cruise in August 2020 to look like a river cruise in August 2019...

notamermaid

Thanks, notamermaid,

Since my last post, I received an email from Uniworld, and they will be offering two seatings in the dining room for each meal. It doesn't say no buffet, but does say no self-serve, so I "guess" buffet could be served by staff? Two dining times at breakfast and lunch is going to be tough, especially for those morning excursions.

The new normal is definitely going to be different. 

• Like 2

I think it's the end of river cruising for us. ☹️ The whole idea was about socializing and meeting new people. Dining at the same time and with different people is a key component. Probably time to switch to a different type of vacation.

It will be interesting to see how other operators are planning to conduct river cruising.

No doubt it will continue to be popular and many new ships are still being built.

Perhaps there will be more off ship dining?? On some cruise ships staff serve passengers from the buffet to avoid contamination, we experienced that on Oceania and that was fine.

Looking forward to cruising as soon as we can do so safely.  

set dining times doesn't sound attractive to me at all.  I liked the Crystal model of anytime dining.

That said, this years rules may not be next years rules.  

This does not sound appealing to me, and yet the longer we have to go without a river/ocean cruise, the more my opinion may change. The set dining idea really seems futile to me. During the rest of the time you will mingle with other guests, and when you leave the ship you may come in contact with many people, so it seems rather pointless to restrict the normal mix of people in the dining room. 

• Like 2

Did you notice Uniworld has suggested two seating times for each meal.?  In the past dinner was usually a drawn out meal from 7 until 9.  Where are they going to slot in another 2 hour meal time?

I understand every business is hurting and trying to do everything to make it work, but maybe putting the river cruising on hold for a whole cycle until there are vaccines and a new normal that most passengers and crew  can feel comfortable with would be the right thing to do.   The economic ramifications would be mind boggling.  

RB 

• Like 1

The set dining time and table isn't appealing to me either but I understand why they would have to do that.  I do like the elimination of self-serve buffet.  I've taken a few ocean cruises with Oceania, and as someone else here mentioned, their buffet has always been served by staff.  It's much safer and you don't have to worry about dozens of other hands touching the same serving utensils. 

I have a Danube river cruise scheduled for October 2020.  The big unknown for me is what is the airline schedule between the US and Europe going to look like.  The flights I have booked are currently not operating and with 3000 airplanes parked and going nowhere I cannot help but wonder. 

• Like 1

Not sure how the 2 seatings at breakfast and lunch will work when most tours begin and end around the same time.  Do you think we won't be able to get our own coffee and cappuccino out of the coffee machine in the common area on Uniworld?  They're taking away the trays and jars of goodies, so do I have to have a staff get me a mini biscotti to go with my afternoon coffee?  Won't this involve more staffing which translates into higher fares?  There will have to be wait staff serving the food at the various stations at the breakfast and lunch buffet, in addition to the staff serving coffee, removing plates, etc. 

As far as gloves, masks and sanitizer, it's nice they're making them available, but I hope they're not required.  I'm not sailing on a ship or going on a tour where they're required.  

• Like 1

For the time being, these are safety plans developed by the ship operators. These still have to be approved by the health authorities.

In Germany we do have an interesting experiment going on with the football league, who want to complete their season. They worked out an elaborate health and safety plan, which found approval even by football-critics. Now this plan will meet reality (and we know from the military that no plan survives the first contact with the enemy) and we will see which pats of the plan do work, which ones dont and which parts cannot work. However, this plan holds a lot of screening and testing the football league is willing to pay. I cannot see that effort for river cruises.

We have learned from ocean ships that the ventilation is a critical path for spreading the virus. There are no inside cabins on river cruise ships (at least I am not aware of), but there are the aquarium cabins, which rely on air ventilation, as you cannot open windows there. Might well be that the authorities will request them to be not used. This would mitigate pressure on the meals sessions, but the reduced capacity jeopardizes the economic viability.

17 hours ago, Roz said:

Not sure how the 2 seatings at breakfast and lunch will work when most tours begin and end around the same time.  Do you think we won't be able to get our own coffee and cappuccino out of the coffee machine in the common area on Uniworld?  They're taking away the trays and jars of goodies, so do I have to have a staff get me a mini biscotti to go with my afternoon coffee?  Won't this involve more staffing which translates into higher fares? 

Yes, this means more effort and higher production costs. In the long run this will lead to higher fares. In the short run, I am not sure, as the cruises are already sold. So it will depend on the legislation and the individual contact if the price can be changed unilaterally.

17 hours ago, Roz said:

As far as gloves, masks and sanitizer, it's nice they're making them available, but I hope they're not required.  I'm not sailing on a ship or going on a tour where they're required.  

That is another point of the health and safety plans: Are the customers willing to take their role in the play ?

Gloves are not mandatory, at least here in Germany. Some shops here offer them to customers, bjut leave it at their discretion to use them. Same with sanitiziers. Just dont inject them ^^. You will not get around masks though. They are compulsory on public transport and will also be on private tour buses. Also you have to wear them in museums, castles, churches and other sites. Depending on the details of the health and safety plans, also on board, too eg.g while moving in the aisles or lobby.

Yes it will interesting how the changes will occur.

How is the mandatory mask situation managed?

We cannot source them unless a healthcare professional, and even then the quality varies.

Have seen in some countries they are supplied via vending machines on the street.

Some people wear cloth ones and handmade but these are not as effective as medical grade masks, albeit perhaps better than nothing. 

The dining situation was always a concern, crowded buffets and even in the lounges it could be the same.

Perhaps opportunities to eat off ship will be given on some trips? 

Fast covid screen tests are now available too so perhaps that will be done for staff and passengers.

2 minutes ago, pully8 said:

...Fast covid screen tests are now available too so perhaps that will be done for staff and passengers.

Isn't a screen test just a "snapshot" of the individual's condition? -- i.e., "as of 31 Oct 2020, ms/mr pax was not carrying the virus".

Some of our liquor outlets now have walk-thru temperature sensing units like the airports do, I wonder if they would have to install something like that.  A lot of stores have either sanitizer placed out for clients to use prior to entering the store, or an employee squirting sanitizer on your hands before you enter.  I prefer putting my own on, as some employees are a little to generous and it takes a while before you can pick anything up!  I can see the buffet being an "employee served" thing,  it will certainly move people through quicker than a sit down meal for breakfast & lunch, especially if they have to have 2 sittings. 

I also dislike the idea of fixed seating...if you can mingle on tours & cocktail hour, or otherwise on board, I don't see why they can't let you mingle at the tables...socially distanced of course.  It also brings up lots of problems where you may be seated at a table with someone who causes you problems - in my instance, someone wearing perfume or cologne.  We had to move seats a couple of times on our cruise due to this issue, it was much easier when we didn't have to request it.

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 1

Viva Cruises are getting ready to sail in June. They have published their measures online:

• Screening of guests before the start of the trip by means of a comprehensive WHO health questionnaire and mandatory temperature test
  • Increased disinfection of public areas according to a fixed schedule and increase in the number of disinfection devices
  • Reduced passenger numbers for optimal social distancing
  • Optimized restaurant concept with increased table distance and table service
  • Reduced number of guests on shore excursions and use of a wireless info system

See website: https://www.viva-*****/en/

notamermaid

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Are you sure ? I did not see a cruise starting before August 8th on their website.

I went by process of elimination: Rhine and time frame June to July 2020, the result is: https://www.viva-*****/en/cruiselisting/?d=6&f=2020-6-1&t=2020-7-31&s=4%2C2%2C8%2C9%2C7%2C5%2C14%2C10%2C3%2C13%2C12&a=2&c=&b=price&o=asc

notamermaid

The temperature sensors might assist or not.

We saw them at airports during other infections.

Not all people have fevers, especially older people and there have been reports of some people trying to supress potential high temperatures with OTC like paracetamol.

No doubt all sorts of measures will be taken to maintain safety and prevent infection.

Cruise lines want to continue, new ships are being built and people are keen to get going again asap.

Looking forward to see how all this is going to happen.

Sadly many have lost their lives and will not have the opportunity.

Keen more than ever not to miss the wonderful experience and privilege travel gives.  

14 hours ago, iMarco46 said:

Isn't a screen test just a "snapshot" of the individual's condition? -- i.e., "as of 31 Oct 2020, ms/mr pax was not carrying the virus".

some are antigen tests that can indicate prior infection.

others are to test for positive/negative status.