Clamshells at Half Moon Cay

nklpikl

I've searched the boards and see conflicting answers. How do you rent a clamshell? Is it on board at excursions desk or when you get on the beach at HMC? Also how much are they?

Edited by nklpikl
Typo

Unless the price has gone up, it's $30.00 to rent a clamshell. You don't rent them at the Excursions Desk.  There's a little kiosk near the beach to rent one. Keep in mind, the clamshells don't have any ventilation, and can get hot and stuffy very quickly on a hot day (which is pretty much every day there). If you walk on down the beach a little way, at about Cabana #9 or #10, you'll find plenty of lounge chairs under shade trees. The lounge chairs and shade are free. Don't forget your sunblock. 

• Like 1

As soon as you head to the beach, look for a small building on the left.  The entrance is facing the beach.  You use your sign and sail card to rent the clamshell.  I think I paid $29 on my last cruise.  They will give you a ticket.  Then you find an employee and point to whichever clam shell you want set up and the employee will set it up for you.

We will never go to HMC without renting a clamshell.  It's perfect for us.  The shade it provides makes all of the difference.  We also like having our own little area for our stuff.  It's money well spent for us.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

If you walk on down the beach a little way, at about Cabana #9 or #10, you'll find plenty of lounge chairs under shade trees. The lounge chairs and shade are free. Don't forget your sunblock. 

This ^^^^

Lots of shade and lounge chairs down at the other end of the beach.  I attached a few pictures to illustrate...

IMG_1282.jpg

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

Edited by N7786W Flyer
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, N7786W Flyer said:

This ^^^^

Lots of shade and lounge chairs down at the other end of the beach.  I attached a few pictures to illustrate...

IMG_1282.jpg

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

These pictures are really helpful thanks. Any idea about a drink package being offered on the island? I know the normal cheers package doesn't work there.  

4 minutes ago, nklpikl said:

These pictures are really helpful thanks. Any idea about a drink package being offered on the island? I know the normal cheers package doesn't work there.  

Can't comment on the drink packages as I'm a non-alcoholic kind of guy 🙂 

BTW, we were in Cabana #11 when I took those photos for anyone interested.

Garnett

I remember years ago the drink packages it work at Half Moon Cay but I was told that since they do not have access to the electronic system they could not monitor it. I guess some people were getting more than the drink limit and/or sharing. 

7 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

I remember years ago the drink packages it work at Half Moon Cay but I was told that since they do not have access to the electronic system they could not monitor it. I guess some people were getting more than the drink limit and/or sharing. 

That may be the issue, but let's be honest...Carnival has little to zero incentive or desire to solve this 'problem'.  I'm sure the additional funds they receive by getting most of the passengers out in the sun and then charging extra for drinks is one of the huge perks (for them) of calling at this port....after all, Carnival is a business.

Having said that, Half Moon Cay is still my favorite port.  🙂

Garnett

Edited by N7786W Flyer

24 minutes ago, coevan said:

Cheers does not work on the island. Quite honestly, i think it's a rip off, not like a second hand vendor. 

I read there is a separate package for $25 but I think it may only be for HAL ships

Keep walking past where you see  those chairs in the photos and you will find a few loungers all alone.  On our last trip to HMC, we did this and it was if we were on a private beach.  Yeah, you have to walk a bit further for food and drink but it was WELL worth it to us. 

1 hour ago, Purvis1231 said:

Oh please, 2020, pretty sure they can set up a wifi system for next to nothing. Absolutely no reason your folio will not work a few 100 yards away. The technology is there, the desire is not.

Just now, TNcruising02 said:

If you bring insulated tumblers on the cruise, you can fill them with drinks from the ship before you head to the beach.

Really? I just assumed they would only let water off. Great news

1 hour ago, coevan said:

Oh please, 2020, pretty sure they can set up a wifi system for next to nothing. Absolutely no reason your folio will not work a few 100 yards away. The technology is there, the desire is not.

Right, they could do it if they wanted. They may reconsider this to entice people back on the ships.  

40 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

If you bring insulated tumblers on the cruise, you can fill them with drinks from the ship before you head to the beach.

On my last few cruises, they made folks empty their cups and bottles.

2 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

2 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Getting off the boat or going back on?

4 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Both

At HMC they made you pour out your drinks?  The ships even sell water bottles to take off of the ship.  That's strange that they made you pour out your drinks on the way off of the ship.  We've never had to do that in all of our cruises. Did they search your beach bag when you were exiting the ship?

Edited by TNcruising02

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

At HMC they made you pour out your drinks?  The ships even sell water bottles to take off of the ship.  That's strange that they made you pour out your drinks on the way off of the ship.  We've never had to do that in all of our cruises.

Unopen water bottles were allowed. 

Just now, Purvis1231 said:

Unopen water bottles were allowed. 

We always fill a beach bag with towels, sunscreen, and our tumblers and never had our bag searched.  I wonder if the searching is new.  We were just there last September.