Limited Capacity...

NavyCruiser

For the first few months/weeks Once river cruising re-starts again, do you think the river cruise lines will limit the number of cabins & number of guests booked onboard?

Most airlines has already blocked off middle seats &/or numerous other seats to ensure social distancing.

So will river cruises in July or Aug, or whenever they re-start again will have a few empty cabins in between cabins, & limit the max numbers of passengers onboard.  

Just checked our Viking sailing out of France for late July, into Aug, our Air France flight is half full, half blocked off, & looks like plenty of cabins avail on our ship.

Our previous 4 river cruise sailings has always been full, almost always sold out.

Wonder if some bookings were cancelled & they're not re-filling them, to leave them empty for social distancing purposes.

IE:  Viking won't fully book all of the cabins & won't have all 190 max number of passenger for each sailing...?

It wont matter at all how many people will be on board. If there is at least  1 sick person among 4 thousands, many will fall ill. If there is 1 sick person among 100.. the same thing will happen. I think their management understands it and wont apply any of those limitations. In my opinion everything will remain the same. The only thing I see really happening is a mandatory mask wearing.. thats for sure 

I doubt that there will be river cruises with international passengers in July or August here in Europe. The first German cruise lines want to start out in June/July with cruises within Germany only.

Anyway, the first cruise lines have announced that the capacity will be reduced. This is basically because of the restaurant situation. There will be no open seating, no buffet. Tables have to have more space inbetween. Aisles in the restaurant might become one way lanes. So you can´t have all 190 pax in the restaurant together for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You will have at least two seatings...

It depends on the ship´s layout and capacity which measures are taking in...

steamboats

Whether it's an airplane, train, bus, ocean liner, or riverboat, limited capacity has to translate into higher fares.

Edited by Roz

2 hours ago, Roz said:

Whether it's an airplane, train, bus, ocean liner, or riverboat, limited capacity has to translate into higher fares.

True.  For the extended long term.

It doesn't affect our already booked July/Aug 2020 cruise & just booked for Nov 2021, which we locked in a great price.

But I'm curious about just the nearest few months right after re-opening for those of us who already booked...

4 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm guessing some people will get bumped.

That's what we're wondering.

For those who cancelled on their own, cruise lines will let those cabins remain unbooked for social distancing?

But bumping/cancelling passengers who's already booked is another issue....

Back in 2018 I got bumped a couple of wks. before sailing.  Ship was overbooked.  I was sailing solo, and had flights booked with Uniworld.  I agreed to sail a few wks. later for a very sweet deal.  If river cruise lines bump passengers and want to retain their customers, they'll have to offer them some incentive for the inconvenience.

Great to hear that Uniworld treated you well when they bumped you.

Just looked at our July booking again, it was fully booked/sold out when we booked last year, & now it shows only One cabin category, out of 8, as being sold out.  Prices are much higher too, & $599 air, instead of free air.  Guess they really don't want any more bookings to replaced those who've cancelled...