MSC Plan ?

RaftingJeremy

Well I see the Virgin Islands are reopening to tourists on June 1 and airlines are returning to Jamaica and other popular Caribbean areas beginning in June also.  Other lines are saying they will relaunch with a small number of ships and grow from there.  I was just wondering is MSC had made public what they might do.   

6 hours ago, RaftingJeremy said:

Well I see the Virgin Islands are reopening to tourists on June 1 and airlines are returning to Jamaica and other popular Caribbean areas beginning in June also.  Other lines are saying they will relaunch with a small number of ships and grow from there.  I was just wondering is MSC had made public what they might do.   

Would you really want to get on an airplane when nobody has been tested??

4 hours ago, sidari said:

Ocean Cay was open in December.

Elsewhere, someone pointed out that [in January] was in brackets- indicating it was the reporter's addition, not part of his direct quote. 

I've also seen this quote interpreted in a couple of ways- 

" In the Caribbean, Ocean Cay will be key for us. We have opportunities to stay there overnight and for multiple days."

But I think the simplest explanation is the best- that he means the ship would stay at Ocean Cay overnight and cruisers could visit there on consecutive port days, not that passengers would get to sleep on the island.

On 5/18/2020 at 4:38 AM, RaftingJeremy said:

I do it for work every week.  I feel safer on the airplane than I do at the grocery store or target or any other retailer.  That’s not the point. 

Why is it that you feel safer on a plane than in a retail store?  Hoping to hear what the airlines are doing to make you feel safe rather than your retail stores are just horrible.  :fingerscrossed:

23 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Sailing with an overnight at beautiful Ocean Cay, and the rest of the week sea days, would be my ideal MSC cruise!  Second choice, sea day, Ocean Cay, sea days, Ocean Cay.

Werent the odds of docking on the larger ships not all that great?  While I agree that I'd happily sub in OC for many Caribbean islands, it would stink to not be able to dock anywhere.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, aprilF said:

Werent the odds of docking on the larger ships not all that great?  While I agree that I'd happily sub in OC for many Caribbean islands, it would stink to not be able to dock anywhere.

During our two weeks on Seaside in January, two island ports (San Juan, Grand Cayman) were cancelled due to difficulty docking/tendering.  But we docked at Ocean Cay both times we were scheduled to do so.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, aprilF said:

Why is it that you feel safer on a plane than in a retail store?  Hoping to hear what the airlines are doing to make you feel safe rather than your retail stores are just horrible.  :fingerscrossed:

The cleaning schedules and the filters that have been out in place. A lot of the newer jets changes the air in the cabin every 2-3 minutes anyway.  All the employees and fellow passengers are required to wear face masks while on board.  These measures alone don’t do a whole lot but when you add them all up, the barriers that have been out in place are strong and will help to mitigate the spread.  

I went to target yesterday’s and only about half the people were wearing any face covering and there was no employees wiping/disinfecting carts after they had been returned.  The plexi glass put up in front of the cashier was dirty 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RaftingJeremy said:

The cleaning schedules and the filters that have been out in place. A lot of the newer jets changes the air in the cabin every 2-3 minutes anyway.  All the employees and fellow passengers are required to wear face masks while on board.  These measures alone don’t do a whole lot but when you add them all up, the barriers that have been out in place are strong and will help to mitigate the spread.  

I went to target yesterday’s and only about half the people were wearing any face covering and there was no employees wiping/disinfecting carts after they had been returned.  The plexi glass put up in front of the cashier was dirty 

My impression from reading the various experts is that it is more problematic to be in the same close contact with someone for greater than a half hour rather than just walking past someone.  That's the part of air travel that concerns me, because Ive never been on a flight that's had my total time on the plane be less than a half hour and Ive taken loads of short flights, where you start descending basically when you reach altitude.  I think at best Ive been in the cabin for about an hour.  I wouldnt want anything less than an N95 mask right now if I had to travel by plane.

While it shows other cleanliness may likely be lacking the plexiglass being dirty isnt a problem in itself.  Just dont touch the plexiglass and then touch your face before washing.  Face coverings are talked about in very mixed messages.  I do tend to wear them when in an enclosed environment, even while doing my best to practice social distancing.  Outside I typically dont.  I did once at a crowded Lowes but my mask was so moist by the time I was done I was concerned about it.

I'm glad since you have to travel so frequently you are ok with what you are seeing on flights.  Keeping stress levels in check is an important component in fighting off illnesses.  🙂