Another refund question: This one about insurance

MudderBear

Hello.  Just wondering.  We cancelled our cruise on March 18th.  We had the "standard" HAL insurance.  Wouldn't the "insurance" money handle our refund?  Isn't that how insurance works?   Or, is everything such a mess that every cancellation (either self cancelled or HAL cancellled) just all lumped together?  In other words, wouldn't our insurance cover the cost we paid (note, we had just paid in full the end of February for a May cruise).

If insurance doesn't cover us, what is the meaning of insurance anyway?  I know that insurance companies in general, go to  "Re-Insurance" companies for their coverage.

Thoughts?  (and please no refund bashing)........

Thank you
"

I am in the same boat as the OP. HAL's insurance plan is called a protection plan and since it is operated by HAL, I have been assuming those of us who invoked it to produce a cancel for any reason  refund have been thrown into  the group  of all other refund requestors. I think it is just a different use of HAL funds in normal times and in abnormal times is pretty much useless.

My understanding is this: The “standard” returns 80%, and isn’t and never becomes an insurance policy. The Platinum plan returns 90% and only becomes an Trip insurance policy when the trip begins. 

HAL covers the CAR (Cancel for Any Reason) prior to leaving. 

I invoked my platinum March 13, a few hours before the pause was announced. 
I am also in line waiting for a refund. Supposedly My refund is “in process “.

U would eventually get the premium back if they cancelled. Not sure if you cancelled first. In my case they reduced the amount owing on a new cruise deposit by the total of fees, taxes and insurance from the cruise they cancelled. In effect I have had this refunded. 

I don't think that you will get the premium refunded if you cancelled.  In fact, I believe that this is mentioned on the HAL website, but I may be thinking of the policy itself.  Don't know about a refund if HAL cancelled.  

I used my platinum by specifically invoking it, so the agreement was I get 90% back (and nothing of the cost of platinum).

That was March 13th. At that time HAL had made it clear they were sailing in 2 weeks  ( come h or high water), and they offered us $250 OBC if we sailed or a FCC for the entire amount if we chose not to. Some ports were starting to close, but not the majority, and as far as we knew there wasn’t an issue in Mexico. I didn’t want a FCC as I have an elderly parent, and who knows if I would be able to use it. A few hours later the cruise industry was “paused”. 

17 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I used my platinum by specifically invoking it, so the agreement was I get 90% back (and nothing of the cost of platinum).

That was March 13th. At that time HAL had made it clear they were sailing in 2 weeks  ( come h or high water), and they offered us $250 OBC if we sailed or a FCC for the entire amount if we chose not to. Some ports were starting to close, but not the majority, and as far as we knew there wasn’t an issue in Mexico. I didn’t want a FCC as I have an elderly parent, and who knows if I would be able to use it. A few hours later the cruise industry was “paused”. 

We did the same as we didn’t want to tie up almost $20 thousand so we took the 90% option.  Haven’t received a dime nor any other response other than a response to my inquiry to say we are working on it.  Just a bit disappointed they insisted the cruise would happen until after we cancelled.