Radiance dry dock cancelled

didugger

9 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

IF it was capable to continue sailing as the Victory, I would think they'd have to compensate Radiance bookings somehow because people are paying to sail on the Radiance, not the Victory. But I don't think that will be possible because a lot of people have said they started tearing parts of the ship apart while it was in route from the U.S. to the shipyard. If that's true, then it looks like they're committed to the refurbishment.

Is it possible they sub a different ship ? 

9 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

IF it was capable to continue sailing as the Victory, I would think they'd have to compensate Radiance bookings somehow because people are paying to sail on the Radiance, not the Victory. But I don't think that will be possible because a lot of people have said they started tearing parts of the ship apart while it was in route from the U.S. to the shipyard. If that's true, then it looks like they're committed to the refurbishment.

This has been bantered around in related threads already, of course.  Indeed, if they started the tear-down as the ship sailed across the Atlantic, as I would expect they would want to (saves time!), then IMHO Carnival is faced with two options: complete the refurb, or just stop work.  I don't think the option of "restoring it back to Victory" is practical - it would probably cost close to the amount of the Radiance make-over, and would look like a bad move, PR-wise.

But all of this is speculation, howling into the void of non-knowledge...

(I was going to say "howling into the void of ignorance", because that is the true meaning of the word: lack of knowledge.  But it is a very pejorative word these days, and folks are in a mood to be easily offended.)

• Like 2

Just now, UrbishN said:

I think, technically under the terms of the Contract, that substituting a different ship is allowed, since the contract is for conveyance to the planned ports on the planned dates.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

This has been bantered around in related threads already, of course.  Indeed, if they started the tear-down as the ship sailed across the Atlantic, as I would expect they would want to (saves time!), then IMHO Carnival is faced with two options: complete the refurb, or just stop work.  I don't think the option of "restoring it back to Victory" is practical - it would probably cost close to the amount of the Radiance make-over, and would look like a bad move, PR-wise.

Agreed. It wouldn't make sense for them to spend a lot of money to go backwards. I think the only thing that would stop them from proceeding with the Radiance completion is the state of their financials once the shutdown ends. Someone had said that they would've already paid for the refurbishment up front. I have no idea how it works in the ship building industry, but that doesn't make much sense to me. I'm not going to pay a contractor in full up front before they start building my house. I wouldn't think a cruise line would do it either, but that's just an assumption. If they did pay already, then obviously work will continue at some point. If I had to guess, regardless of how the payment was handled, I'd say they're going to finish it.

4 hours ago, UrbishN said:

If they had to, like ProgRockCruiser said, it's probably covered in the contract. I'm not sure if Carnival would be obligated to offer any type of compensation if a booking is changed to a different ship, but they would probably offer something, like maybe OBC or the option to cancel without penalty. Like I said before, people are paying to book the Radiance and that's what they're expecting, so I would understand if they got something different and were upset. Since they're still taking bookings for Radiance, I'm choosing to believe they have every intention to complete it. I don't think they're trying to pull a fast one by continuing to take the bookings.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Agreed. It wouldn't make sense for them to spend a lot of money to go backwards. I think the only thing that would stop them from proceeding with the Radiance completion is the state of their financials once the shutdown ends. Someone had said that they would've already paid for the refurbishment up front. I have no idea how it works in the ship building industry, but that doesn't make much sense to me. I'm not going to pay a contractor in full up front before they start building my house. I wouldn't think a cruise line would do it either, but that's just an assumption. If they did pay already, then obviously work will continue at some point. If I had to guess, regardless of how the payment was handled, I'd say they're going to finish it.

If they had to, like ProgRockCruiser said, it's probably covered in the contract. I'm not sure if Carnival would be obligated to offer any type of compensation if a booking is changed to a different ship, but they would probably offer something, like maybe OBC or the option to cancel without penalty. Like I said before, people are paying to book the Radiance and that's what they're expecting, so I would understand if they got something different and were upset. Since they're still taking bookings for Radiance, I'm choosing to believe they have every intention to complete it. I don't think they're trying to pull a fast one by continuing to take the bookings.

I read an article concerning payments about Allure of the seas  (RC) Custom items were prepaid and now in storage as they have downsized the refurbishment on that ship . I believe the labor is not paid until complete . She is in dry dock in Spain now only getting maintenance upgrades . But she was not demoed as the Victory 

3 hours ago, kingston13 said:

I am booked for Feb - remember the Radiance is adding rooms so a switchout would probably not work and they don't have a spare ship so it would cancel but I think they will continue

Hopefully so. I do understand them at least waiting to see if they are able to sail in August as planned . After that they need  to let us know what their intentions are 

On 6/2/2020 at 7:48 AM, ProgRockCruiser said:

I think, technically under the terms of the Contract, that substituting a different ship is allowed, since the contract is for conveyance to the planned ports on the planned dates.

Carnival can substitute a ship and for that matter, ports.