Photo Package for Solo TA Cruiser - Worth it?

Spellykins

Good evening! First, my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I have looked across a few different boards and wasn't able to easily find an answer. I am booked on the Apex May 2021 TA as a first time (and solo) cruiser. Would like advice on whether folks think any of the advance purchase photo packages would be worth the cost, or if I might be better off purchasing one-off prints on the ship. Thanks in advance!

p.s. I have been collecting so many great tips through the various boards for X cruises, TAs and solo cruisers. Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

34 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

My suggestion would be to take your own pictures.  The pictures taken by the Celebrity photographers are not always of good quality and are definitely overpriced.  If you want pictures of you, I'll bet you can find a fellow cruiser to snap a picture of you.

Thank you! When I've been at Disney World solo, the WDW photographers were always happy to take photos for me with my camera. I wasn't sure if this was possible on the cruise ship, but you've provided an excellent reminder that a fellow cruiser might be kind enough to assist. 🙂

For the price of a photo package, you can just buy another camera! Ship photographers might not be willing or allowed to take your photo with your camera, but yes, a fellow cruiser will step in to help.

For some reason I have “volunteer photographer” written across my forehead because I get asked to do this a lot (and not just onboard).

• Like 1

Buy a selfie stick for those moments when there isn't someone around to help out. Many can be used with a pocket camera, not just a cell phone. If you only have a DSLR, a Joby GorrilaPod is really versatile.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

The only ship's photo I every buy is the embarkation one.  This photo has the date, the name of the ships and they photo guys usually make a collage and insert a few smaller photos of some of your ports (HAL does this).

This has been my most recent practice as well.  If I have tablemates that I really enjoy and a ship's photographer comes around on a Formal/Gala Night to take a picture, I may ask that our picture be taken and will usually then purchase that photo.  

As others have said, a fellow guest will be glad to take your picture as well as a member of the crew, i.e. dining room steward, bartender, etc.  

I have never purchased a photo package and won't do so.  Overpriced as far as I am concerned.  And, one does not really know what the quality of the pictures will be.

• Like 1