New penalty line item on cruise confirmation statement

Back in March, I moved a 2020 cruise with RCL to 2021, and have called in 4 or 5 times since then to take advantage of price drops. (Note, I moved before Lift and Shift was available.) With the pricing adjustment I just made, my most recent statements now include a new line item that wasn't there before: 

"The booking is currently subject to USD 1400.00 cancellation penalties at time of this booking invoice 08 JUN 2020. This amount may increase based on the cruise penalty schedule."

(for a cabin of 4, i.e. $350pp)

When the cruise was initially booked, I was subject to a $250pp nonrefundable deposit, and a $100pp change fee. With Cruise with Confidence, I then had the option to shift the cruise to a new date penalty-free.

Now I see this new line item, and I don't like it, so I called to inquire and the agent told me to 'ignore it' and that 'Cruise with Confidence still applies'. However... why add the line item then?

It's not sitting well with me that I have a new penalty there in writing. Just wondering what everyone else's experience has been; has anyone else seen this added? I would certainly like to cruise in 2021, but want the option to defer again if the industry isn't back on its feet by then.

Edited by tallgirl97

10 minutes ago, tallgirl97 said:

I would certainly like to cruise in 2021, but want the option to defer again if the industry isn't back on its feet by then.

You may not have that option.  Under the way the current CWC is written your only option after Aug 1, 2020 is to cancel for a 100% FCC.

I guess I'm just confused because it wasn't on any of the earlier iterations of my confirmation; I've saved them all. Those ones all have the standard cancellation schedule: NRD is lost if you cancel more than 90 days out, then 25%, 50%, etc...

11 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You may not have that option.  Under the way the current CWC is written your only option after Aug 1, 2020 is to cancel for a 100% FCC.

So if I understand correctly... let's say my pay in full date is April 1 - I still have the option up until April 1 to cancel the 2021 sailing, and shift the deposit to a future date? Do I lose the $100pp penalty or does CWC cover that for me?

What would consitute cancelling under "terms not covered by the CWC"?

Edited by tallgirl97

Just now, tallgirl97 said:

I guess I'm just confused because it wasn't on any of the earlier iterations of my confirmation; I've saved them all. Those ones all have the standard cancellation schedule: NRD is lost if you cancel more than 90 days out, then 25%, 50%, etc...

They have just recently added this and it is a permanent change going forward so it makes it clearer for people to understand what exactly the penalty is

1 minute ago, tallgirl97 said:

So if I understand correctly... let's say my pay in full date is April 1 - I still have the option up until April 1 to cancel the 2021 sailing, and shift the deposit to a future date? Do I lose the $100pp penalty or does CWC cover that for me?

As long as your cruise is booked before Aug 1 of 2020 you can cancel up until 48 hours before sailing and get a 100% FCC

Currently the option to shift deposits to a new date expires Aug 1, 2020

Edited by Ourusualbeach

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It doesn't matter.  If it was a NRD and they have moved it already there would be a $100pp penalty if they cancelled under terms not covered by the CWC

True. Moved a November 2020 Rhapsody cruise to a Harmony cruise the same week, just prior to the launch of CWC, and got hit with the NRD $200 charge for doing so. When "lift & Shift" was announced, we moved the Harmony cruise to a November 2021 cruise, and the original NRD charge showed up on the new invoice, which increased the cost of the replacement cruise by $200 above what showed online.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They have just recently added this and it is a permanent change going forward so it makes it clearer for people to understand what exactly the penalty is

What I think I'm hearing is that I won't be charged the $1400 for canceling, so I fail to see how this makes it clearer!!

The 25%/50%/etc. schedule, yes, that makes sense - though under CWC it sounds like even that is no longer strictly true...

4 minutes ago, tallgirl97 said:

What I think I'm hearing is that I won't be charged the $1400 for canceling, so I fail to see how this makes it clearer!!

The 25%/50%/etc. schedule, yes, that makes sense - though under CWC it sounds like even that is no longer strictly true...

You wont be charged the $1400.  Te CWC supercedes what is written on the invoice.  The invoice does not take into account the CWC and only shows standard cancellation penalties.

Royal can't differentiate on the invoices between who booked under CWC and wont be charged and who didn't book under CWC and will be charged.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

OK, can I ask one more dumb question? 

In March 2020, when I deferred our 2020 sailing to a 2021 sailing due to the pandemic, the $100pp change fee was waived for me under Cruise with Confidence.

If the pandemic is still a thing in 2021 and we choose to defer to a future date yet again, am I still covered by Cruise with Confidence so that I can move my deposit forward again - or have I already used my Get Out of Jail Free card?

17 minutes ago, tallgirl97 said:

OK, can I ask one more dumb question? 

In March 2020, when I deferred our 2020 sailing to a 2021 sailing due to the pandemic, the $100pp change fee was waived for me under Cruise with Confidence.

If the pandemic is still a thing in 2021 and we choose to defer to a future date yet again, am I still covered by Cruise with Confidence so that I can move my deposit forward again - or have I already used my Get Out of Jail Free card?

No you cannot move your deposit forward. Currently the ability to move deposits expires Aug 1, 2020 with the lift and shift.  After Aug 1 you are still covered by the CWC but you would have to cancel and get a 100% FCC.  Things could change in the future and be extended but that is how it is as of today

Edited by Ourusualbeach